Steam blow up - no security breach, apparently

Down

My only real concern now, is that under payment details - you can view the full name and address attached to a credit card saved in the system.

I mean sure, the CC# is censored (except last 4 digits) - but name and address is on full display, pair that with email and = profit? Don't like my real details just hanging out there in the void. Hoping the servers were shut down before anyone saw it. Obviously just being paranoid - but we live in a age of identity theft, after all.

why yes this been covered many times other the years, your CC# are shown everywhere.

"Heck, most of the time they'll call you before you ever notice it happened. Credit card fraud is so pervasive, banks have started covering the cost just so people don't cancel their cards."

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/07/10/how-credit-card-companies-spot-fraud-before-you-do?page=2

"No one ever compares the signature on the slip to your real one. It's more security theater."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92278323

How do you manage to constantly post off-topic stuff? How do you manage to quote shit I can't even find back in the off-topic articles you linked? Geez.

And the PC Master Race crowd will keep sucking GabeN's dick and pretend it never happened. The fact Valve STILL has not released an official statement is appalling and disgusting. As the largest digital games platform, they need to get their shit in order. Hell, EA with Origin has better customer support than Valve does with Steam. 

This is actually hilariously true.  As bad as EA is as a games publisher, as an actual company they are miles ahead of Valve.  You know that if EA lost credit card information they would at least fucking make a statement in under 2 hours if it was this fucking obvious.

Valve has always had notoriously bad customer service. It's absolutely awful. I remember a year ago they said that they were making improving customer service their biggest priority. All they've done was made more automated systems so people bother them less.

I mean, it IS the 25th so nobody should be working at Valve atm...

They're still a company.  It doesn't take much to say "We know somethings fucked up, we're not going to address it until Monday, until then, we're taking things down." and then do it.  I can't believe it's anything more than 10 minutes of work.  If they just did that, even if they didn't say anything about how this happened, people would be a lot less upset and more understanding.

Public image is a thing, and I can only imagine that Steam is eventually going to lose it with all the shit they are pulling.

Remember, Valve has still issued no statement on this. All news is coming from 3rd party sources at this point. 

Pretty sure an official twitter acc from Steam confirmed it was their cache servers and stuff acting up, and that they would turn off the Store and all to try and fix it. Dunno about nay updates though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3y7x0c/nice_try_steam_but_im_still_not_going_to_spend/

God knows where the very few people that have access to an official valve social media account may be on Christmas.

Besides, even if one of them was reached what would be the point? "We're aware of the issue, shit's mostly fixed, please wait for more information"?

They certainly can't state anything further than that before having done a thorough investigation of what happened and having consulted their lawyers (who are probably god knows where with their families). Considering the number of butthurt/worried people they're dealing with here they have to be 100% certain of what they officially say. So all they do is give some information to third party people who can't be held responsible for what they say.

Remember, Valve has still issued no statement on this. All news is coming from 3rd party sources at this point. 

Pretty sure an official twitter acc from Steam confirmed it was their cache servers and stuff acting up, and that they would turn off the Store and all to try and fix it. Dunno about nay updates though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3y7x0c/nice_try_steam_but_im_still_not_going_to_spend/

If you are referring to what Down posted earlier, no, this isn't Steam official.

Doesn't seem like a hack but it's definitely a security breach if you can see other people's mail and cie.

Seems like if you don't do anything you shouldn't get your page leaked to randoms.

We seem to have access again, I'd suggest changing the verifiable email attached to you steam account, and deactivate all previous devices that can access your account (it excludes your current IP). Not sure if it's safe to do so, but I also deleted my saved CC info, fuck that noise, heh. Though at this point, the damage has already been done, so /shrug.

And just to be extra paranoid, going to wipe steam off my computer, run a AV scan and reinstall it, just to play it safe.

We seem to have access again, I'd suggest changing the verifiable email attached to you steam account, and deactivate all previous devices that can access your account (it excludes your current IP). Not sure if it's safe to do so, but I also deleted my saved CC info, fuck that noise, heh. Though at this point, the damage has already been done, so /shrug.

And just to be extra paranoid, going to wipe steam off my computer, run a AV scan and reinstall it, just to play it safe.

oh and check your (C:) steam files hides in your system.

where to find it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

now for the real question, do you trust valve with your information?

Developers are at risk of personal information being shown to the wrong person, players not able to fight valve agreement, and valve making bad games (if you ever played counter strike you know what i'm talking about). why use steam if you the player will never own the game? why do the developers free or profit are forced to share sensitive information? and why do you believe this error wont happen again?

just food for thought

Developers are at risk of personal information being shown to the wrong person, players not able to fight valve agreement, and valve making bad games (if you ever played counter strike you know what i'm talking about). why use steam if you the player will never own the game? why do the developers free or profit are forced to share sensitive information? and why do you believe this error wont happen again?

just food for thought

I'm sure if you wear a tinfoil hat nobody can get you.

Just food for thougt.

just food for thought

Well, since you can see the future, we can just ask you when the next incident will happen, right? So I'm not worried. 

So firecat was providing users with all the latest news and how evil Steam is? It really is Christmas! :')

Thanks Santa!

valve has the power to not let users download steam app, not use personal information (paypal only would be better), treat developers nicely ($100 for greenlight is wrong), and stop breaking international laws (fr and au government are suing valve).

you only looking at the mask that valve has place in steam, if you look a little closer you see a monster.

So firecat was providing users with all the latest news and how evil Steam is? It really is Christmas! :')

Thanks Santa!

valve has the power to not let users download steam app, not use personal information (paypal only would be better), treat developers nicely ($100 for greenlight is wrong), and stop breaking international laws (fr and au government are suing valve).

you only looking at the mask that valve has place in steam, if you look a little closer you see a monster.

The fee for greenlight is as a method of avoiding a flood of spam or or infringing by putting someone else's work up.  Sadly there is some degree of spam regardless but a 100$ one time fee is easily reasonable for a serious developer.  The sues regarding resales are because it's an issue nobody has managed to solve yet without harmful DRM  due to the differences between digital and physical media.  Please do your research.

Thanks Santa!

The fee for greenlight is as a method of avoiding a flood of spam or or infringing by putting someone else's work up.  Sadly there is some degree of spam regardless but a 100$ one time fee is easily reasonable for a serious developer.  The sues regarding resales are because it's an issue nobody has managed to solve yet without harmful DRM  due to the differences between digital and physical media.  Please do your research.

greenlight doesnt work, people have reported to have gotten greenlight free from publishers (or so called publishers), also your research is wrong:

The ACCC alleges that Valve made false or misleading representations to Australian customers of Steam that:

consumers were not entitled to a refund for any games sold by Valve via Steam in any circumstances;

Valve had excluded, restricted or modified statutory guarantees and/or warranties that goods would be of acceptable quality;

Valve was not under any obligation to repair, replace or provide a refund for a game where the consumer had not contacted and attempted to resolve the problem with the computer game developer; and

the statutory consumer guarantees did not apply to games sold by Valve.

“The Australian Consumer Law applies to any business providing goods or services within Australia. Valve may be an American based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law,” ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said.

fr version:

In addition to the resale complaint, UFC-Que Choisir takes Valve to task for claiming the right to reuse any user-created content on Steam "at will." This clause "denies... respect for the users'/creators' rights of intellectual property," the group says. The group also wants Valve to accept some liability if and when users' personal data is hacked or breached from Valve's servers, specifically citing the 77,000 Steam accounts that Valve says are compromised every month.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/12/steam-tightens-trading-security-amid-77000-monthly-account-hijackings/

face it valve is evil, they are a cash cow and you fools are buying it.

just food for thought

Since I'm in the mood for some off-topic, what exactly is wrong with Valve's games? or counter-strike for that matter? By the way Valve didn't even make counter-strike.