Steam blow up - no security breach, apparently

Down

Seems like lots of people (everyone?) are getting bugs on their Steam account, ie see some stranger's money page (basically you can see their steam wallet, buy history, email and shit, so all the most sensitive info). It's constantly changing.

Might be a good idea to check if yours is fine, possibly pull out sensitive info if you have access.  <- don't. Steam instructions are to NOT touch anything on your steam account, don't log off, don't go to any steam store page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162196

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3y7le9/im_logged_in_as_someone_random_on_steam/

Not sure about it not beign a hack - I was worried about it, so I looked into a exsisting shopping cart - and it held almsot 200 items sitting it. made the mistake of trying to remove them (at the time I was under the impression it was under my account, but technically it was under someone elses). Hope I didn't comprimise my lown account by fiddiling with anything... right now I have steam open, but I seem to be logged out of network...(can't post, cant look at account detaills, etc)

sigh, bad times

No, it's p much confirmed that it's a cache bleed and all the pages where you see another account than yours are read only. It's not 100% sure because Valve themselves didn't confirm but I wouldn't be surprised if random people were trolling about cards getting debited.

It's still a fuck up because well, you could phone some random dude and say hi or send him dick pics to his mail or shame him because he bought Sakura Santa, but it doesn't seem like credit card info are compromised. 

Seeing everyone flailing around screaming at valve and steam is p funny though.

Also clickbait (kotaku) news sites are already reporting stuff like security breaches without even having asked Valve what's going on. Sasuga.

Haha I feel so silly xD

Went to my card history and saw three steam charges and went "DAMNIT MY CARD INFO IS COMPROMISED!"

Then I realized those three charges were from earlier this week, when I bought some games myself. :amane:

Seems like all we can do is wait it out and just not touch anything on the store page / account info page until its fixed

Hey if you need some norwegian translations Nebjula lemme know! :sachi:

Thankfully I didn't have any cards saved on it. And I guess they can see my paypal account name? Can't do much with that other than send me money.

Send me money, please.

edit: Also I'm pretty sure they only ever display the last few digits of your CC number. So this fuckup looks way worse than it really was.

Thankfully I didn't have any cards saved on it. And I guess they can see my paypal account name? Can't do much with that other than send me money.

Send me money, please.

edit: Also I'm pretty sure they only ever display the last few digits of your CC number. So this fuckup looks way worse than it really was.

Yeah, most stuff should be save. But the Paypal stuff can be problematic. For example, sometimes Steam doesn't even redirect you to Paypal, simply asks if you wanna pay with it, and directly asks for confirmation and nothing else. So... dunno =X

Store is dead now anyway, so everything should be as safe as it could get.

My only real concern now, is that under payment details - you can view the full name and address attached to a credit card saved in the system.

I mean sure, the CC# is censored (except last 4 digits) - but name and address is on full display, pair that with email and = profit? Don't like my real details just hanging out there in the void. Hoping the servers were shut down before anyone saw it. Obviously just being paranoid - but we live in a age of identity theft, after all.

My only real concern now, is that under payment details - you can view the full name and address attached to a credit card saved in the system.

I mean sure, the CC# is censored (except last 4 digits) - but name and address is on full display, pair that with email and = profit? Don't like my real details just hanging out there in the void. Hoping the servers were shut down before anyone saw it. Obviously just being paranoid - but we live in a age of identity theft, after all.

why yes this been covered many times other the years, your CC# are shown everywhere.

"Heck, most of the time they'll call you before you ever notice it happened. Credit card fraud is so pervasive, banks have started covering the cost just so people don't cancel their cards."

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/07/10/how-credit-card-companies-spot-fraud-before-you-do?page=2

"No one ever compares the signature on the slip to your real one. It's more security theater."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92278323

And the PC Master Race crowd will keep sucking GabeN's dick and pretend it never happened. The fact Valve STILL has not released an official statement is appalling and disgusting. As the largest digital games platform, they need to get their shit in order. Hell, EA with Origin has better customer support than Valve does with Steam.