Steam VNs

Helpful

With the Steam Winter Sale in full swing, are there any vns or vn-related games you suggest I purchase? 

Any recommendation is welcomed for the benefit of the community, but here are my personal tastes:

Likes: Dangan Ronpa, Corpse Party, Persona 4, Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Steins;Gate, Ever17...

I did purchase World End Economica, but for some reason it didn't fit my tastes. ) : 

I generally like VNs that have a large amount of tension throughout. 

I don't recommend you to buy grisaia or senjou on steam because those are the censored versions and if my heart had wings is just a mess dont support that crappy butchered version! 
I do recommend you to pick clannad which is 15% off, planetarian 50%, eden 60%, dengeki 60% (it is censored but in this vn imo the eroge doesnt affect the plot)

Eden* and planetarian are both very cheap at the moment and they are great reads. They both also have no cut content unlike a lot of steam VNs.

Oh and a kiss for the petals remembering how we met for your yuri needs. Which we all have and if you deny that I'll whack you with a candy cane.

Edited by Dergonu

You can pick up a few good VN's on the cheap atm

- Hatoful Boyfriend

- Analogue: A Hate Story

- Fault Milestone One/Two

- A Kiss for the Petals (if you like yuri)

- Cursed Sight

- Higurashi (only chapter 1 is on sale tho)

- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (kinda cheating here but it has the VN tag and it's an amazing game so there)

I don't recommend you to buy grisaia or senjou on steam because those are the censored versions and if my heart had wings is just a mess dont support that crappy butchered version! 

They are not censored they are fixed versions.

though technically the removal of content is a form of censorship. So they are in a way censored versions. :sachi:

though technically the removal of content is a form of censorship. So they are in a way censored versions. :sachi:

ideologically or principally removed content constitutes censorship, which Steam's Grisaia etc. versions definitely is (Steam's principle to not allow AO content).

ideologically or principally removed content constitutes censorship, which Steam's Grisaia etc. versions definitely is (Steam's principle to not allow AO content).

Grisaia version on steam is a port of PSP version with new content that 18+ doesn't have "Ported from PSP version (which has new CG and content)". Generally all those console versions of VNs remove content that shouldn't even be there in a first place and add new content, therefore it is more of a fixed version then it is censored.

Grisaia version on steam is a port of PSP version with new content that 18+ doesn't have "Ported from PSP version (which has new CG and content)". Generally all those console versions of VNs remove content that shouldn't even be there in a first place and add new content, therefore it is more of a fixed version then it is censored.

Being fixed and being censored aren't mutually exclusive, you can censor some stuff but still fix up the other parts of a game. So I can concede that one might view it as "fixed" more so than "censored", but I think there's a bit of both in there.

now we call it "fixed versions" and not censorship? lmao
I'm not going to bother today
arguing about this :rimu:

Being fixed and being censored aren't mutually exclusive, you can censor some stuff but still fix up the other parts of a game. So I can concede that one might view it as "fixed" more so than "censored", but I think there's a bit of both in there.

Indeed you can have both censorship and fixes at one but to say that something is censored is to imply that a content that is part of a VN is removed and if H-scenes are all that is removed that isn't a case as they are not something that should be in there in a first place, like removing commercials from a movie, would you call that censorship?

What I said above.

Indeed you can have both censorship and fixes at one but to say that something is censored is to imply that a content that is part of a VN is removed and if H-scenes are all that is removed that isn't a case as they are not something that should be in there in a first place, like removing commercials from a movie, would you call that censorship?

What I said above.

The difference between advertisements and h-scenes is that h-scenes are a part of the story. It influences the storyline and it's known by the characters that said h-scene took place. Like it or not, it's a part of the VN. Arguing ads and h-scenes are the same in this context is like saying halfway through figuring out the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter remembers drinking a refreshing can of Dr. Pepper(tm). H-scenes happen ingame, ads do not. That argument doesn't hold true in the sense that it claims there isn't any censorship.

What I said above.

The difference between advertisements and h-scenes is that h-scenes are a part of the story. It influences the storyline and it's known by the characters that said h-scene took place. Like it or not, it's a part of the VN. Arguing ads and h-scenes are the same in this context is like saying halfway through figuring out the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter remembers drinking a refreshing can of Dr. Pepper(tm). H-scenes happen ingame, ads do not. That argument doesn't hold true in the sense that it claims there isn't any censorship.

Except they are not part of the story at all, they are just showed in a story to increase sales, lots of time they are not even written or illustrated by the same writer/artist as the rest of the VN and even when they are they are obviously out of the place and don't belong there. Saying that they are part of the story or that have influence on characters or anything of the kind is just trying to make H-scenes more then they are, in fact they are exactly the same as advertisements.

What I said above.

Except they are not part of the story at all, they are just showed in a story to increase sales, lots of time they are not even written or illustrated by the same writer/artist as the rest of the VN and even when they are they are obviously out of the place and don't belong there. Saying that they are part of the story or that have influence on characters or anything of the kind is just trying to make H-scenes more then they are, in fact they are exactly the same as advertisements.

H-scenes take place in the VN, ads don't.

What you're saying is like arguing F/SN has intermissions where John Cena's WWE Super Slam is being promoted to the reader. 

What I said above.

What you're saying is like arguing F/SN has intermissions where John Cena's WWE Super Slam is being promoted to the reader. 

What I am saying is that they don't take place in VNs. Your first example with Harry Potter and Dr. Pepper is actually a pretty accurate description of H-scenes.

What I said above.

What I am saying is that they don't take place in VNs. Your first example with Harry Potter and Dr. Pepper is actually a pretty accurate description of H-scenes.

Well, I tend to disagree. I don't think much more will come out of that angle of discussion anyways, seeing as your anti-porn stance has already been debated with you more than enough times already.

What I said above.

Well, I tend to disagree. I don't think much more will come out of that angle of discussion anyways, seeing as your anti-porn stance has already been debated with you more than enough times already.

And if there ware bunch of people who worshiped Dr. Pepper and thought that world spins around it they would equally disagree in example above no metier how obvious it is that it is noting but add. 

I swear this isn't my fault.

*Looks at his own post*

Well sh**...

On a serious note, it really doesn't matter what you call it. This is a reccomendations thread, not really the place to discuss this, like Kawasumi said.

All I wanted to do was point out that cut content = a sense of censorship. Please forgive me for I have sinned. :pyaa: