(1/20) Honest Critique on our New BG and Nun Animation

31 minutes ago, firecat said:

well at first it was o.k with him having a belt and some future stuff (heavy armor and belts were never part of egypt cultural, the sun will kill the man in any heavy armor). now that he has some kind of facility, it just defeats the whole learning aspect of egypt. Nun is known to never have any temples or place to worship, having a location just for kills the character.

This Nun is fundamentally different from the Nun you're talking about. For starters, this one here is an alien - likely a robot-type of alien.

1 hour ago, Rose said:

This Nun is fundamentally different from the Nun you're talking about. For starters, this one here is an alien - likely a robot-type of alien.

but that ruins the history part of the game, people won't recognize the difference between the characters because they are too different. it's like making godzilla into barney, the difference is ruin everything about people ideal look on the original character.

1 hour ago, firecat said:

well at first it was o.k with him having a belt and some future stuff (heavy armor and belts were never part of egypt cultural, the sun will kill the man in any heavy armor). now that he has some kind of facility, it just defeats the whole learning aspect of egypt. Nun is known to never have any temples or place to worship, having a location just for kills the character.

This isn't in Egypt. It is in an alternate dimension. Nun has no place of worship because no one knows him outside the rift. That is his world.

Now I can definitely see why you would be confused since you thought this was a period piece but it isn't. It is a scifi retelling. Hope that clears up any confusion.

1 minute ago, firecat said:

but that ruins the history part of the game, people won't recognize the difference between the characters because they are too different. it's like making godzilla into barney, the difference is ruin everything about people ideal look on the original character.

The Alpha Demo will be out soon where you can see how we add historical lore into the game with the "Book of Thoth."

17 hours ago, firecat said:

I can see where you're coming from in a realistic point of view, but is this project's aim to create a learning aspect of Egypt? I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm still a bit groggy, but unless I missed it in this thread, I can't see anywhere stated that it is. I assumed it was a fantasy game that drew inspirations from Egypt. ^_^

Edit:

Whoops, my bad! I didn't see the comment above which already explained, aha!

Edited by Forgetful Frank
Didn't realise comment was already responded to

The overall stuff is pretty high quality so if you don't mind, i'll make comment on pretty small details. Otherwise it's really good.

Rah's animation :

- The fact that there aren't more frames to slow his movement down before the animation gets reversed makes him look a bit robotic. I like what you did with nun for example, where the movement of his fingers and fists sort of absorb the sharpness of the movement when he brings his arm back. Maybe some elbow animating could do something.

- His "neckless" feels like it's glidding over his skin and the more I observ the way it's done, the weirder it feels. I have no idea how to fix this though. It's a pretty unoticable thing if you don't look deep.

Nun's animation :

- The cloth falling from his head has an awkward animation when reaching his legs. It's moving without bending nore streching on either side which looks weird. And also, when it's moving, it doesn't look like it moving away or having luminar interaction with his clothes.

-Same with his cape, the way it's animated feels very strange, I don't understand why it's moving and what could make it move that way. Plus, the side of his cape comes back inside which aside from giving it an interesting look, isn't very beleivable physically. It's fine if it's towards the end of the cape, but at the top it doesn't make much sense.

Overall :

It's pretty flawless, this background looks very good, I'm just wondering if the sprites' art style will blend well with the background. The background seems to have more attention given to its coloring which may create a constrast between a more simple coloring and lining on the sprties and something a bit more dense in the background.

However as you can see, I'm being very finicky. It is simply because it is already extremely good.

As far as designs go, I like them and really I have nothing bad to say about them. Maybe nun's face looks a bit too much like count doku's, but meh.

Good luck on finishing this.

5 minutes ago, maefdomn said:

The overall stuff is pretty high quality so if you don't mind, i'll make comment on pretty small details. Otherwise it's really good.

Rah's animation :

- The fact that there aren't more frames to slow his movement down before the animation gets reversed makes him look a bit robotic. I like what you did with nun for example, where the movement of his fingers and fists sort of absorb the sharpness of the movement when he brings his arm back. Maybe some elbow animating could do something.

- His "neckless" feels like it's glidding over his skin and the more I observ the way it's done, the weirder it feels. I have no idea how to fix this though. It's a pretty unoticable thing if you don't look deep.

Nun's animation :

- The cloth falling from his head has an awkward animation when reaching his legs. It's moving without bending nore streching on either side which looks weird. And also, when it's moving, it doesn't look like it moving away or having luminar interaction with his clothes.

Overall :

It's pretty flawless, this background looks very good, I'm just wondering if the sprites' art style will blend well with the background. The background seem to have a look more attention give to coloring which might create a constrast between a more simple coloring and lining on the sprties and something a bit more dense.

However as you can see, I'm being very finicky. It is simply because it is already extremely good.

As far as designs go, I like them and really I have nothing bad to say about them. Maybe nun's face looks a bit too much like count doku's, but meh.

Good luck on finishing this.

We are using unity so we can change the lighting specific to the scene. So this scene would have soft blue lighting, making the sprites feel right at home.

Thanks for these critiques. We are only animating them so people feel it can be a masterpiece if we get funded. I would love to just hire a professional animator -).