So I made a database website for visual novel patches and mods.

Sakamoto

Still in beta, but most of the foundations are already there.

I have yet to start on the info section for each visual novel, but will likely place info on the easiest way to legally buy the VNs and stuff. Images need to be resized too.

Do help me out on ways I can improve on the layout of the site. My focus is to keep it "Simple and Clean".

Edited by Sakamoto

Uh well the first thing I would say is add a search function so its easier to find novels. Also maybe consider making a list for each letter instead of "A-F". That way its even easier to navigate. 

Is this meant to have all available translated novels + patches? If so its seriously lacking at the moment. (Although it is in beta, so that might not be that surprising.) 

Other than that, it looks pretty good. It sounds like a decent idea. Its nothing you cant find at lets say VNDB, (although they dont list all patches, they link you to the main site of the translators where you can find that info.) That being said, having one site specifically for this stuff might be a good idea indeed. 

Yeah, the site only has a fraction of all the available patches currently. It will take a long while before it is fully populated with all the current translations. (There's a whole lot out there)

Search function: Ah yes, that useful tool. I have to put it in later. :mellow: I will strongly consider the per letter section too, probably after I populate the database.

Also the site will have links to other patches besides English translations (like de-mosaic patches, all-ages patches, etc.) Finding the links to every single one is a painful task at times, especially when the links are down.

Yeah, the site only has a fraction of all the available patches currently. It will take a long while before it is fully populated with all the current translations. (There's a whole lot out there)

Search function: Ah yes, that useful tool. I have to put it in later. :mellow: I will strongly consider the per letter section too, probably after I populate the database.

Also the site will have links to other patches besides English translations (like de-mosaic patches, all-ages patches, etc.) Finding the links to every single one is a painful task at times, especially when the links are down.

If you can manage to keep the patch links up and keep informative instructions on how to install each patch / what their purpose is, I think this can definitely become a hit. :) 

I know for some game franchises like SonoHana the creators are dead set on removing the translation patches because they hope that the rest of the series will be licensed. I dont know if this will pose any legal problems or not for the site if you end up uploading those patches. 

Make sure you have permission to link those patches from the groups who release them, some are really rather picky about that thing and would rather have you grab from their links only.

Yeah, for those that still have active pages to their translations I usually link to their pages to avoid any troubles.

Just 2 dumb questions. Are other language patches to be included?

Mods counted? I know custom maid have a lot, but mainly those like Musumaker. Or official ones like Material Brave weapons? Those aren't included in official fix patches but optional mods.

Edited by minuore

Just 2 dumb questions. Are other language patches to be included?

Mods counted? I know custom maid have a lot, but mainly those like Musumaker. Or official ones like Material Brave weapons? Those aren't included in official fix patches but optional mods.

Other language patches won't be included, UNLESS they are packed together with the English patch. This website mainly focuses on English translations.

I'll include mods too, but only for those that have English language translations. I may consider mods for non-translated VNs in the future though.

I had no idea they had mods for Material Brave o_o