Propaganda Games: Games becoming real, in the worst way

babiker

I don't even know what to say... The Chinese have created a game where your score increases by being an obidient citizen, and decreases when being a bad one. And high score citizens have benefits over those with lower scores, and... Just watch it and you'll get it...

Holy shit.

I mean, all of this has been theorized, we know that it's easier to control masses through positive reinforcement, we know how dystopian systems work... but to see it happening in a country of 1.5 billion people for real?

I'd move out of my country in the year if that were to happen here...

This was already public knowledge months ago iirc and it's not a game per se, but more of a rating app that allows the government to easily categorise and be able to keep tabs on people. Sure it is shitty, but in such a type of government it's not like it can't be expected. Maybe I'm just being cynical :P.

Noting new here, society already works that way.

ZGnzBCI.gif

good news, its never going to work. the first game to ever do something like this is from google (yes they were trying). it was called ingress but people stop playing due to phone fees and just plain not worth it. if china wants to give people something it needs to be useful or else they just quit.

I think you missed the part where it's going to eventually be mandatory for all Chinese citizens.

This was already public knowledge months ago iirc and it's not a game per se, but more of a rating app that allows the government to easily categorise and be able to keep tabs on people. Sure it is shitty, but in such a type of government it's not like it can't be expected. Maybe I'm just being cynical :P.

Not exactly a game, but it pulls from a lot of game-related design principles to enforce order.

There's a comment somewhere in there that claims it's a misunderstanding, but I've not been able to confirm or deny anything myself.

Noting new here, society already works that way.

Hidden Content

good news, its never going to work. the first game to ever do something like this is from google (yes they were trying). it was called ingress but people stop playing due to phone fees and just plain not worth it. if china wants to give people something it needs to be useful or else they just quit.

I think you missed the part where it's going to eventually be mandatory for all Chinese citizens.

you forgetting that people that do not get anything interesting will just give up on following it. giving gifts will cost money, as history shown give people gifts and they will find a way to abuse it. this isnt about following a law, its about how much will people stand for it until they give up on it.

>import anime from Japan

>score goes down

What a shit app.

This is really cruel. If it goes mandatory, goodbye friends, I guess.

Good thing I'm not in China or anything. Freaking Commie again

Well, it does make it easier to find people who oppose the system like some do, but this is just plain bad. It reeks of bad all over. I'm scared to think of what they might pull off in the future if they actually make this happen.

Hidden Content

This is really cruel. If it goes mandatory, goodbye friends, I guess.

Good thing I'm not in China or anything. Freaking Commie again

Well, it does make it easier to find people who oppose the system like some do, but this is just plain bad. It reeks of bad all over. I'm scared to think of what they might pull off in the future if they actually make this happen.

The best thing about living in the United States is that if the government sallies up their balls to try this one, we will just murder them.  We have a history with revolts you see.

Now at first glance this seems bad, but isn't really just kinda annoying? Like many games, wouldn't it be incredibly easy to "game" the system. Like sharing several dozen pro-government posts to off-set a single anime import? I can also see a small group of people that dedicate themselves to raising their score and offering to friend other people to raise their score in turn for a small monthly payment. 

Like all things brand new this specific program will likely end in failure, but it is entirely possible that it will pave the way for something worse latter on. 

Hot damn this is bad!

Watch the video here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186  These people say their opinion and are pro Sesame Credit!

Anyway... regardless of this, a similar thing is already happening in the West. The government already ranks us by score from our social pages and purchases. It's just that the public don't see it, well they do, but not as extreme as Sesame Credit.

Edited by kingdomcome

Like many games, wouldn't it be incredibly easy to "game" the system.

See, that's what I was thinking.  The way it's described, nobody is actually really watching you (anymore than they already are, that is) so you could just pool together and manipulate the system.  Of course, it's still terrible, and some people are probably going to be incredibly shafted by this.

What about people that don't use social media? 

If they are implementing this into social media then there will probably be a work around for it, though most Chinese citizens probably won't do it since they won't know how. I wish I could say that this is surprising but by the looks of things corporations and governments are doing everything they can to fuck with the internet. It makes me nervous for the future.