Good VN to recommend to people who don't read VNs?

Ashadow700

So I got my mom to watch a few episodes of Spice and Wolf with me last evening as her first anime ever and she actually appeared to like it.

That got me thinking, what are some good visual novels to show people who have never ever played a visual novel before? As a way to maybe get them into the medium?

The only one I can really think of is the obvious Katawa Shoujo... what suggestions do you guys have?

Feels like we already had this thread, not sure...

Introducing someone to VNs is (I think) harder than it is to anime: much more length, H-scenes, tons of otakultural cliche, and stuff...

Thus I think starting with a short, all-ages one (for someone who's not even into anime or anything yet) is better.

Narcissu, Phenomeno maybe?

Little Busters is probably too long and to 'otakuish' especially if the only anime she's ever watched is Spice & Wolf which doesn't have many of the usual anime tropes.

Oh, uh, no, Beato, I was not going to bring it up to her, that little event just made me think of this topic in general. Sorry about that misunderstanding. :(

Feels like we already had this thread, not sure...

Introducing someone to VNs is (I think) harder than it is to anime: much more length, H-scenes, tons of otakultural cliche, and stuff...

Thus I think starting with a short, all-ages one (for someone who's not even into anime or anything yet) is better.

Narcissu, Phenomeno maybe?

When the how do you describe a VN in one line got derailed, this was the last topic.

On topic, Symphonic Rain ;P

your mom?? :OOO that's cool :))

so... who's the one that's actually gonna play it?? I would suggest Little Busters as well. And Planetarian for a short one. (Although I think it would be best to look for realistic stories sinceit's easier to relate that way if you're new to it)

I was mostly thinking about which VNs that in general could be a could an idea, JeMhUnTeR. Obviously I know that it will change from person to person. ;)

Also, I had a bit of a retarded idea; once it it finished, do you think Unhack might work? You know that game that InvertMouse is making? I mean, it's fun to play, it's easy to pick up since it's a browser game and it won't demand a huge time investment since it is so short.

I was mostly thinking about which VNs that in general could be a could an idea, JeMhUnTeR. Obviously I know that it will change from person to person. ;)/>

Also, I had a bit of a retarded idea; once it it finished, do you think Unhack might work? You know that game that InvertMouse is making? I mean, it's fun to play, it's easy to pick up since it's a browser game and it won't demand a huge time investment since it is so short.

Unhack is more of an adventure game with a story told in a visual novel format. I consider it more of a hybrid game than a VN. It's a fun game, but as something to represent VNs to someone who is brand new to the genre, I don't know if it would do the trick since it doesn't fall neatly into the VN catagory.

As a big history nerd, I really really enjoyed Analogue: A Hate Story. So that and KS were sort of the VNs that got me going (Analogue was far more interesting to me than KS).

I think the best way to introduce someone to VNs is to find a VN that is in a gnere they are interested in. If they like sci-fi or mystery, go with Ever17 like Tief Blau said. If they like history as well, maybe suggest Analogue. If they like horror, Corpse Party (though like Unhack, Corpse Party also doesn't fall directly into the VN category so its also a little tricky to recommend as a VN.)

Instead of introducing a person to a whole new genre of story telling, try to get them to consider VNs as an expansion of a genre they like. I think it's more likely to stick that way.

I think the best way to introduce someone to VNs is to find a VN that is in a gnere they are interested in. If they like sci-fi or mystery, go with Ever17 like Tief Blau said. If they like history as well, maybe suggest Analogue. If they like horror, Corpse Party (though like Unhack, Corpse Party also doesn't fall directly into the VN category so its also a little tricky to recommend as a VN.)

This.

Altho for horror, I'd advice to go with Saya, as first novel its usually unforgettable experience.

If you decide to recommend KS (it was my first VN) (changed my life) (led me to Aaeru, then Fuwanovel) just remember -- you can actually turn OFF the h-content via a simple button in the settings menu. For some people, this would be a preferable way to start.

I introduced Narcissu to a few friends because it has no ecchi content whatsoever. They actually really enjoyed it! Unfortunately, that didn't translate into them seeking out more VNs :P~ There is quite an overlap of anime and VN fans. If you're into anime, then it'll be easier to convert into a VN reader as well, I think.

I introduced Narcissu to a few friends because it has no ecchi content whatsoever. They actually really enjoyed it! Unfortunately, that didn't translate into them seeking out more VNs tongue.gif~ There is quite an overlap of anime and VN fans. If you're into anime, then it'll be easier to convert into a VN reader as well, I think.

yeah, I think so too. It's easier to appreciate visual novels if you're already into anime :)