Danganronpa 1 Steam Release, 2 Likely Coming to PC

Funyarinpa

Danganronpa 1 is out now! http://store.steampowered.com/app/413410/

~~

photo_2015-12-06_15-165p5n.jpg

This is a leak from the Steam Helpdesk. Steam recently implemented a new feature of letting you remove games from your account, which lead to a pretty huge leak of Steam licenses.

This is proof that DR1 and DR2 have their licenses on Steam, this doesn't mean it's necessarily progressed but definitely it's at least proposed at this point. It's highly likely that unless it gets cancelled or something that we're getting DR1 and DR2 on Steam- this should up the "BUT I HAVE NO VITAAAA" crowd.

My source is this thread (I KNOW it's a "HL3 leaked?" thread): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151754

More specifically, this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188122664&postcount=132

Leak itself: https://steamdb.info/search/?a=sub&q=danganronpa

That's actually really cool if it's true, I've always wanted to play the games but I hear they're rather buggy on emulators so it'd be nice to have a version I can physically support and properly play.

Also, HL3 has been "hinted" for ages, it's not coming out, just face the reality already.

Actually: http://gematsu.com/2015/09/spike-chunsoft-considering-various-interesting-mechanics-new-danganronpa-v3

“For stationary consoles, we’ll focus on PlayStation 4. After, Nintendo’s new hardware, the NX. I would also like to start fully working on Steam.”

Sounds reliable. It's from September. 

Sweet. I'll be ultra bummed if DRV4 is not on Vita or PC though. 

Steins;Gate is also on the list of leaked DB entries. Be aware that some time ago in a similar database leak, Ever17 was listed but that never happened. These leaks aren't bogus, someone with publishing access created an app entry named DanganRonpa and so forth, and in the case of that series those are probably going to happen given what we know about the publisher's intentions.

I'm still not sold on S;G getting a Steam release. It could be JAST testing a Steam version, but that doesn't mean whatever licensing issues that have held back its release thus far are cleared up.

And obviously Half Life 3 is in development in some form, lol. It's gone through like a dozen iterations in the last 11 years and Valve won't stop now.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

seems like a good excuse to finally play then.

If you have not watched the anime, then you'll be fine. The game is aggravating and repetitive at times (or the first one, havent jumped into the second yet), but has enough style, and good fun moments to keep it enjoyable. Not much replay value in my opinion by different strokes for different folk. 

On an unrelated noted, S;G on steam is having some rumblings again. 

Good news all around. DR seems ready to be announced and hopefully released soon, and the Steins;Gate entry has been updated recently, while JAST has been tweeting S;G stuff periodically, which they haven't really done before. Not that the latter is actually giving us anything new, but I always thought that S;G could do rather well on Steam. And maybe give JAST enough money to finish their projects? lmao, yeah right.

2 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

If you have not watched the anime, then you'll be fine. The game is aggravating and repetitive at times (or the first one, havent jumped into the second yet), but has enough style, and good fun moments to keep it enjoyable. Not much replay value in my opinion by different strokes for different folk. 

On an unrelated noted, S;G on steam is having some rumblings again. 

I have 1 rule, if the anime is based on a vn I won't watch it. If everyone says that is really good I will but only after reading the vn (f/sn, clannad, steins;gate)

It's official now, the Steam page for DR1 went up last night and they say it will release sometime next month (http://store.steampowered.com/app/413410). The bad news is that it seems like a fairly lazy port. The screenshots they posted are all in the Vita resolution, but clearly coming from a PC build, so lol if they don't even have any resolution options. 

Still, at this point I think I'd take DR2 any way I can get it, if it doesn't mean I have to buy a Vita. There's no word on that yet, but it seems clear that it's going to happen at some point. Hopefully it's only a few months wait for it.

9 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Is this something someone pretty new to VN's should definitely keep an eye out for? I wish Steam was more lenient when it comes to VN's.

Depends on your genre tastes, Danganronpa is an isolated life-or-death high stakes setting where the students debate courtroom style over a series of murder mysteries with the culprit(s) being among them

4 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Depends on your genre tastes, Danganronpa is an isolated life-or-death high stakes setting where the students debate courtroom style over a series of murder mysteries with the culprit(s) being among them

That does pretty interesting to me, actually! Thank you, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it now. ^_^