Jump to content

Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

also you are assuming that the review copies given were unpolished or in some beta state (bugs, typos etc) there is no real proof of that or anything else for that matter, the only real proof we have is that reviewers got their game earlier than anybody else and that the game for the rest of us is delayed *insert spooky sound here* "due to various circumstances" 

That is true, but you also can't assume the opposite (that reviewers got their game in a perfect condition.) All I'm doing is assuming general market norms apply.

If companies want to get word out to the public on how 'good the game is' as soon as the game is released, reviewers must have them in their hands prior to release. That's how you get all those pretty quotes about how stellar the book is on a first print novel. It has nothing to do with treating patrons as unimportant, but is rather about business realities. 

Delays in the gaming industry are very normal, and considering how short a turnaround it was between the Kickstarter to the release date, I can't begin to tell you how surprised and staggered I am that there has been a delay. Truly, my face is spasming due to the severe amount of shock I'm feeling. You don't want to see me right now, you will literally die of fright.

9 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

The lack of communication from sekai is just terrible and when they do say something is poor and vague at best, 

They need to improve this. I assumed they hired a PR man ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rooke said:

If companies want to get word out to the public on how 'good the game is' as soon as the game is released, reviewers must have them in their hands prior to release. That's how you get all those pretty quotes about how stellar the book is on a first print novel. It has nothing to do with treating patrons as unimportant, but is rather about business realities. 

That might be so, but it's not about the fact that they got keys. That is fine. Like you said, it's normal. 

 

It's about the fact that we haven't heard anything from them at all since febuary 4th, yet when it came to the keys the reviewers are getting, they were hyping it up and replying instantly to people asking for keys. 

But, any question that is raised from the backers about what the hell is going on, gets ignored. 

The way they are clearly there, seeing our questions, but just choose to ignore them, THAT is the problem. It actually makes it feel like some good PR from a reviewer is more improtant than answering questions form the people who helped make the project a thing. (Without us, they would not have gotten funded...) 

That is what is making me kind of want to flip my desk and punch the wall. 

 

"Time to get hyped, other people will be playing the game you are waiting for, only they did not pay for it!"

Yes... The hype is real indeed... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rooke said:

That is true, but you also can't assume the opposite (that reviewers got their game in a perfect condition.) All I'm doing is assuming general market norms apply.

If companies want to get word out to the public on how 'good the game is' as soon as the game is released, reviewers must have them in their hands prior to release. That's how you get all those pretty quotes about how stellar the book is on a first print novel. It has nothing to do with treating patrons as unimportant, but is rather about business realities. 

Delays in the gaming industry are very normal, and considering how short a turnaround it was between the Kickstarter to the release date, I can't begin to tell you how surprised and staggered I am that there has been a delay. Truly, my face is spasming due to the severe amount of shock I'm feeling. You don't want to see me right now, you will literally die of fright.

They need to improve this. I assumed they hired a PR man ...

it's a business reality, yes, but that doesn't make it ok. specially with a KS campaign, I understand when namco bandai (to give a random example) does it with their games, dark souls 3 was released 1 month before to reviewers than on steam, but not with sekai project on this type of project. 
When they rely on kickstarter or any similar platform to fund a game you would assume that they will treat that specific public better than anyone else... that's the logical thing to do as a company... I mean without them many of their translation projects wouldn't have been possible which means less money...

DavidB is their PR man...

Edited by Deep Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

it's a business reality, yes, but that doesn't make it ok. specially with a KS campaign, I understand when namco bandai (to give a random example) does it with their games, dark souls 3 was released 1 month before to reviewers than on steam, but not with sekai project on this type of project. 
When they relay on kickstarter or any similar platform to fund a game you would assume that they will treat that specific public better than anyone else... that's the logical thing to do as a company... I mean without them many of their translation projects wouldn't have been possible which means less money...

Releasing a (possibly) incomplete and unpolished translation into the hands of a rabid and largely unforgiving fanbase is not the best move. So I would contend that releasing an early version of a game to the VN public could do more harm than good.

Going by Dergonu and Grim Tales' replies, I assume if SP increase their communication to backers then the early review thing wouldn't be a cause for concern (to the majority of patrons) at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rooke said:

Releasing a (possibly) incomplete and unpolished translation into the hands of a rabid and largely unforgiving fanbase is not the best move. So I would contend that releasing an early version of a game to the VN public could do more harm than good.

Going by Dergonu and Grim Tales' replies, I assume if SP increase their communication to backers then the early review thing wouldn't be a cause for concern (to the majority of patrons) at all. 

Again you are assuming that that version was incomplete and unpolished, why?
With that logic I can assume that their communication to the public is good or after so much time and problems with that issue they managed to improve at least a little bit... but then again that's not the case in fact is quite the opposite, they are getting worse even after hiring a PR man, so let's stop assuming things even if those things are obvious in any other company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Again you are assuming that that version was incomplete and unpolished, why?

Because it's to the benefit of developers to release a game sooner rather than later. The longer they hold onto the game typically the more they have to pay people, the more time wasted, less opportunity, time, and resources to spend on other games meaning less money overall. Therefore, any copies they typically release to reviewers before release day tend to be incomplete in some way or another. And this tends to be true for advanced copies across mediums. Game reviewers tend to assume certain bugs will be ironed out by release day, and book reviewers will often receive a slightly different text. 

23 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

With that logic I can assume that their communication to the public is good or after so much time and problems with that issue they managed to improve at least a little bit... but then again that's not the case in fact is quite the opposite, they are getting worse even after hiring a PR man, so let's stop assuming things even if those things are obvious in any other company.

I dunno what you're trying to say here. I took Grim Tales' and Dergonu's statement, where they said they didn't mind the reviewers getting the game early only the abysmal communication, and extrapolated it and you want to compare it with ...?

6 minutes ago, Silvz said:

So can I just request a key on twitter and get it for free?

As long as you are a reviewer and can repay them with marketing and exposure, then I assume it's possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Because it's to the benefit of developers to release a game sooner rather than later. The longer they hold onto the game typically the more they have to pay people, the more time wasted, less opportunity, time, and resources to spend on other games meaning less money overall. Therefore, any copies they typically release to reviewers before release day tend to be incomplete in some way or another. And this tends to be true for advanced copies across mediums. Game reviewers tend to assume certain bugs will be ironed out by release day, and book reviewers will often receive a slightly different text. 

I dunno what you're trying to say here. I took Grim Tales' and Dergonu's statement, where they said they didn't mind the reviewers getting the game early only the abysmal communication, and extrapolated it and you want to compare it with ...?

 

Again, you keep assuming things that do apply in most companies but not with SP, having a good communication with their public is a given and it is for their benefit too, specially when they rely so much on crowdfunding platforms to release their translations yet they dont do anything to fix this well known problem they have since pretty much they started. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An email just went out to Kickstarter backers that the game will be released on Steam in somewhere around 24 hours and that backer keys will be sent out "real soon". The short notice is kind of weird, but hey, it looks like they're going to make that revised target of April, if just barely, so I'm not complaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello backers,

We're finally ready to announce a release date for Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition it will be April 28th JST (So tomorrow evening for West Coasters in USA) on Steam!

We started to lockdown BackerKit as well and keys to backers will be going out real soon.

I was expecting a delay glad that's not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And they just now started locking down backerkit....

 

At least I can play a little of the digital edition while I wait for my physical stuff..

But one thing, how can they have a finished digital edition pretty much done, with backerkit just now closing. What about the "your name in the credits" thing? Will they have time for that in like, one day?

(If I don't find myself in there, I will riot :makina:  ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

An email just went out to Kickstarter backers that the game will be released on Steam in somewhere around 24 hours and that backer keys will be sent out "real soon". The short notice is kind of weird, but hey, it looks like they're going to make that revised target of April, if just barely, so I'm not complaining.

Although, it should be noted it's better than JAST's zero notice, ahahaha ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my digital key in an email, so the "real soon" was indeed pretty accurate. 

Sekai Project's way of communicating with their backers has been quite poor with this one... Still no word about any of the phyiscal goods. Also no word from them at all on the kickstarter page since early Febuary. *sigh*

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

Just got my digital key in an email, so the "real soon" was indeed pretty accurate. 

Sekai Project's way of communicating with their backers has been quite poor with this one... Still no word about any of the phyiscal goods. Also no word from them at all on the kickstarter page since early Febuary. *sigh*

Everything that Sekai Project did with this one has been pretty bad tbh. :miyako:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...