Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

2 minutes ago, Satsuki said:

Actually FrontWing is pretty active too. They even made a main site/Twitter/Facebook for Western customers. 

I don't think Regista even have a Twitter?

They have one and they made an English one around the time the kickstarter started. 

6 minutes ago, Satsuki said:

What, they have an English twitter but no one goes riot on them yet?

Yeah, seeing their twitter with only 44 followers, it's pretty obvious that they left all of the customer interacting job to SP.

Nobody seems like they're trying all that hard. Especially Register, who aren't even interacting with the VN community. Sekai Project didn't try much with getting the KS out there until recently. This Kickstarter is a giant example on how not to do a Kickstarter.

I'm sure that's an overly optimistic point of view. Look, the addition of a Vita version was never going to create some kind of grand surge that pushed the project past the finish line. It was only ever going to produce a small boost. If they lowered the vita version's tier level, I truly don't believe that it would help much at all. The lack of a vita version was never the problem with this kickstarter.

Sekai Project just sent out an email to newsletter subscribers to tempt them into backing Root Double at the $30 tier or higher. If your email subscription address and Kickstarter email address are the same, and you back it, you're automatically entered in to win these items:

• 5 Grand prize winners which include a Physical copy of CLANNAD, Physical copy of The Fruit of Grisaia, and a choice of 2 Steam keys from our pool of released games on Steam.
  • 20 winners who will get 1 Steam Key from a pool of our released games on Steam.

This giveaway does not apply if you are not subscribed to their emails. Hoping they share the news on a Kickstarter update, but fans will likely do that for them. It would be super sad for people who pledged hundreds to not even be aware that they could win free stuff because they never subscribed to yet another newsletter.

Time to look at some cold, hard, numbers. From the time the vita version was announced, $3100 was raised. I don't think you could have honestly hoped for much more. That's honestly better than I was expecting, lol. This is going to drop off again pretty soon. If the tier was half as much, I wonder if they would have brought in enough new backers to compensate with it? Maybe not. I still think this is the wrong way to go about things, but at least some people are backing. It probably would have been best if they just issued the thing as a tier-independent add-on for an affordable cost. And also if it wasn't over a year out. Not much they can do about that one though, from the looks of things. 

14 minutes ago, Marcus said:

Sekai Project just sent out an email to newsletter subscribers to tempt them into backing Root Double at the $30 tier or higher. If your email subscription address and Kickstarter email address are the same, and you back it, you're automatically entered in to win these items:

• 5 Grand prize winners which include a Physical copy of CLANNAD, Physical copy of The Fruit of Grisaia, and a choice of 2 Steam keys from our pool of released games on Steam.
  • 20 winners who will get 1 Steam Key from a pool of our released games on Steam.

This giveaway does not apply if you are not subscribed to their emails. Hoping they share the news on a Kickstarter update, but fans will likely do that for them. It would be super sad for people who pledged hundreds to not even be aware that they could win free stuff because they never subscribed to yet another newsletter.

This reeks of desperation, but I hope it works out for them and it boosts the numbers. 

Oh, I found this in the Neogaf forum:

"Hey all,

While ducking and avoiding your rocks, let me just first of say that I respect everyone's opinion on price and all that. I worked day and night for months to even get to this point, and we're not completely insane. At least I hope not.

I'm not here to convince anyone, but let me clarify something, regardless of what you think of it. We faced an obstacle here where people wanted Vita, and we wanted to do Vita. Our Vita development has gotten solid and progressing nicely with our devkits getting hot lately, so we were always eager. I began working on getting this done before the campaign even.

The issue is development and licensing. The whole dev team in Japan has to come back to refit the engine to work with the increased script size, voices need to be worked out, basically a bit ol licensing hootnanny. They were not easily convinced to go back to working on this engine just cause.

Regardless of what people think of the tiers and that stuff, that's something we have to meet in the middle on with the developers and such, and we try our best and there's tons of great content there. But with Vita, we are left with few options. RD is not some sort of huge anime franchise which soars past stretch goal after stretch goal. So either we have to guarantee the port at a loss to us, or not do it at all and be even more meany heads for not caring about Vita. So the only option is to include it with other rewards (the price of the Vita port is not 225 by itself) and let those rewards directly fund the development, or nothing. So the Vita tiers go straight to funding the development to make this port possible in the first place, not to jack up the price for Vita just cause.

Again, I am not asking people to like me by saying that, but its not just some sort of idiotic move made by me to screw myself over. I got everyone to agree to a term where we could offer Vita for sure without having to climb stretch goals, but rather that those who helps out the campaign and wants Vita gets it no matter what regardless.

Hope we are all still cool no matter how it all works out."

Let's not bury this one unless and until it's dead - particularly, give it at least a day before trying to measure the impact (or lack thereof) of today's announcements. It's only been a few hours, and not all of us are on our computers 24/7. But I will agree things aren't looking especially rosy.

Additionally, I have to agree that the raffle seems well-intentioned, ill-inspired, and likely illegal. I can't help but give Sekai Project kudos on achieving that particular trifecta :amane: