Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition-heading-west/7236/

TL;DR: They're asking for $120,000. Estimated delivery date is March 2016. The stretch goals are just for a fanbook and drama CDs. Interestingly, apparently Sekai Project is getting none of this money, according to the funding breakdown? All of the funds are going to Regista, Yeti, and Lemnisca. Maybe this will convince some of the SP haters to chip in? :P

Lemnisca has proven themselves with I/O. That is a ridiculously complicated VN with complex narration and dialogue, and they translated it very well. Root Double was directed by Nakazawa Takumi, known as the director of the Infinity series (Ever17) and I/O. This is a pretty exciting project all around.

Root Double is very different from most vns being published these days. It's worth the money I think. But it's surprising the release date is so close, thought they will release it in July or something.

Anyway, to those who love great sci-fi mysteries, and those who are fans of Ever17 shouldn't miss this.

Edited by fun2novel

I think Euphoria and Sono hanabira has poluted my mind, because this part made me go "awww"

"Q: Is Root Double appropriate for all ages?
A: Yes, Root Double never had an 18+ release in Japan, and the English version will be the same"

Anyways, never played this before but it seems really interesting, might chip in.

Hype Level - High

Digital OST - 35$ is lowering hype level for now.

March 2016 sounds good, with slight delays it should be out in April/May, I'm glad that Lemnisca was already working on this one instead of slacking. Good guys also don't want too much KS money for TL/ED, only 36k O_O

Root Double is probably one of the most interesting official English releases yet, since it actually doesn't have an existing translation right now, it's quite highly rated, and it's pretty obscure compared to a lot of other good VNs (including untranslated).

Also, imo, Root Double has one of the best overall cast of characters out of all the VNs I've read. Easily better than Ever17's, and for me, even better than Steins;Gate's. 

This is the first VN project that I'll be backing~ really looking forward to it.

Interestingly, apparently Sekai Project is getting none of this money, according to the funding breakdown? All of the funds are going to Regista, Yeti, and Lemnisca. Maybe this will convince some of the SP haters to chip in? :P

Not me. I would support Lemnisca, if they would be doing this by their own (actually they would be done that as a fan translation if not Sekai, I believe). But in this case I would definitely pass. Kickstarter as a funding for VNs should die ASAP. If not Sekai no one would ever considered that.

"When the campaign hits the initial goal on Kickstarter, we will have PayPal support added" - where would go these extra money? Sekai, right?

Haters gonna hate.

If they were doing this on their own then it would definitely be a fan translation. People deserve to get paid for their hard work if it's of good quality.

But now this became a commercial project under Sekai flag. This changes everything. I would rather send Lemnisca 200$ as a donation, really, if they would continue doing fan translation..But we get what we get.

If they were doing this on their own then it would definitely be a fan translation. People deserve to get paid for their hard work if it's of good quality.

But now this became a commercial project under Sekai flag. This changes everything. I would rather send Lemnisca 200$ as a donation, really, if they would continue doing fan translation..But we get what we get.

If Lemnisca were doing this as a fan-tl we would only have gotten the original edition, not the xTend edition though.

You would have supported them, but who else would? Would they have gotten $36,000? Something tells me no. Not to mention, fan translation is already in a legal gray area and a lot of fan translators don't like the idea of accepting donations for it. If Lemnisca wants to go fully legit and earn a respectable paycheck for their work, more power to them I say.

Kickstarter as a funding for VNs should die ASAP.

There's no logical reason to hate Kickstarter here. If you don't like its use, don't contribute.

I hate that Kickstarter became a platform for funding VN TLs for different reasons, I told reasons elsewhere here on forums. And yes, I do not contribute to any KS-funded translation. 

Guys, I am Sekai and KS hater here, why you suppose me to be logical? :)

I do not understand, why Lemnica ever needed Sekai. I believe if they would create a 40k campaign themselves, without physical goods, they would get the money much easier. Also I believe that "porting" to PC Xtend edition was really not worth the 72k they supposed to pay Regista (I know this includes the license fees, but they would be considerable lower if was no work from Regista involved, only like they passed script and image, like I believe IG done in MG case).

Because there is virtually no way whatsoever that Regista would actually deal with some random group of fan translators. It would be pretty much impossible for them to secure the license on their own.

Really? I doubt it. If I had the money, I would try to prove my hypothesis, that any person, who have money - could license VN of his choice. You are overestimating Sekai, by me. Issue is that generally ordinary person do not have 50-100k to pay license fees. So actually I believe they could create a donation, like "we need 100k to license X" and after they got it - license the game and sell on Steam on their own. Sort of plan for hypothetical fan TL group :) 

Japanese companies guard their properties very tightly. I'm not overestimating Sekai, you're underestimating the stubbornness of the license-holders. They are infamously stubborn in this regard. And to be honest, they should be. You can't just give a license to any idiot with money, that would be monumentally stupid business management. They want someone they view as trustworthy, someone who won't bring embarrassment to their brand. You can't expect them to willingly do business with a bunch of nobodies.

Fruitbat Factory had to work with a bunch of small doujin developers before they could land a big deal for Eiyuu Senki and Little Busters, for one example. That's just how things work.

Japanese companies guard their properties very tightly. I'm not overestimating Sekai, you're underestimating the stubbornness of the license-holders. They are infamously stubborn in this regard. And to be honest, they should be. You can't just give a license to any idiot with money, that would be monumentally stupid business management. They want someone they view as trustworthy, someone who won't bring embarrassment to their brand. You can't expect them to willingly do business with a bunch of nobodies.

Fruitbat Factory had to work with a bunch of small doujin developers before they could land a big deal for Eiyuu Senki and Little Busters, for one example. That's just how things work.

There are several ways to overcome such hurdles. If you're a determined group like Fruitbat - you can surely follow same way. Or you can try to convince the company to start going on Steam for example, with support from your fan TL group in order to translate the game. Or try to cooperate with some existing company, who published games on the west, to get their name (but not use KS like in this case).

All is about communication. I believe there are some japanese companies, who would gladly agree to cooperate with anyone to bring their product to the western market. Not everyone is stubborn. Not everything is so much complex like you tend it to look like. All is about dedication and time involved.