DOA Xtreme 3 Sexism

OriginalRen

I am quite disappointed by these comments from Koi Tecmo regarding the localization of DOA Xtreme 3:

When asked whether the game wold be coming to Europe and the U.S., he responded: “We do not bring [Dead or Alive Xtreme 3] to the west and won’t have any plan change in the future. Thank you for asking.”

When probed, he explained, “Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you.”

I don't want to say the GG scandal with Anita Sarkeesian is responsible for this, but what kind of world do we live in where things like this happen? Do critics really believe we are labeling women tools because a game puts some tits and ass in it? Are we seriously sexist because we have some sexy women in a game? I get that it's probably a trash series anyways, but in my personal opinion being offended by these sorts of things is like saying you are offended by sexual content being put into visual novels or popular television shows like Game of Thrones. Sure you can be offended, but does that mean we need to bend over backwards for people? If you don't like this sort of thing, don't play it. Is that too hard for people now?

I'm not sure why, but this irks me. Call the game shit sure, but this is just pathetic. I mean, who doesn't want to see girls butt fighting? Just the sheer ridiculousness of that alone should be enough to make you want to see it happen. If it were males, I'd say the same thing!

Oh, this.

I'll quote myself:

Not exactly, actually. The guy who runs Koei's (the developer) facebook page answered a comment about the game not coming out in the west, saying stuff about representation of women controversy in a pretty broken english. Comment was later deleted.

Problem is, Koei had already announced in August DOAX3 wouldn't be released in the west anyway. No feminist/activist/SJW/whatever else had said anything regarding that game, the DoA series isn't even that controversial to begin with. And even admitting they have some irrational fear, it just doesn't make sense to begin with to assume that a company would not localize a game to avoid criticism. Criticism never prevented anything from being popular (quite the contrary), and nothing has ever prevented a company to try to make money when they can, so if they took this decision, it's probably just because nobody gives a flying fuck about DoAX3. Jim Sterling talked about it there, for example.

However the usual suspects (breitbar...) decided to interpret that comment as "SJWs ruining muh boobs games" and ran away with it. If you read the comment again, you'll see that it's hard to make much out of it. Play-Asia decided to cash in on this and voilà. To be honest, I haven't seen a single feminist or SJW (well I have pretty much never seen any actual SJW on the internet, I'm gonna start thinking they're a gamergate fiction at some point) talking about that game, only angry gamergaters and stuff being angry for the sake of it.

tl;dr it would be giving way too much credit to feminists or whoever else to think they are the reason why we can't have shitty boobs games in the west or that they have any sort of censorship power. This, in my opinion, is either some attempt by Koei to discharge themselves from the responsibility of not bringing the game over here or a blunder from their facebook page manager (who is clearly not very articulate in english).

Oh, this.

I'll quote myself:

Not exactly, actually. The guy who runs Koei's (the developer) facebook page answered a comment about the game not coming out in the west, saying stuff about representation of women controversy in a pretty broken english. Comment was later deleted.

Problem is, Koei had already announced in August DOAX3 wouldn't be released in the west anyway. No feminist/activist/SJW/whatever else had said anything regarding that game, the DoA series isn't even that controversial to begin with. And even admitting they have some irrational fear, it just doesn't make sense to begin with to assume that a company would not localize a game to avoid criticism. Criticism never prevented anything from being popular (quite the contrary), and nothing has ever prevented a company to try to make money when they can, so if they took this decision, it's probably just because nobody gives a flying fuck about DoAX3. Jim Sterling talked about it there, for example.

However the usual suspects (breitbar...) decided to interpret that comment as "SJWs ruining muh boobs games" and ran away with it. If you read the comment again, you'll see that it's hard to make much out of it. Play-Asia decided to cash in on this and voilà. To be honest, I haven't seen a single feminist or SJW (well I have pretty much never seen any actual SJW on the internet, I'm gonna start thinking they're a gamergate fiction at some point) talking about that game, only angry gamergaters and stuff being angry for the sake of it.

tl;dr it would be giving way too much credit to feminists or whoever else to think they are the reason why we can't have shitty boobs games in the west or that they have any sort of censorship power. This, in my opinion, is either some attempt by Koei to discharge themselves from the responsibility of not bringing the game over here or a blunder from their facebook page manager (who is clearly not very articulate in english).

I want to play the butt game! :salt:

The entire controversy is completely one sided. Nobody was complaining about DOAX3 at all, if their only reason for not publishing it in the west was fear of feminist criticism then that's a pretty lousy reason, and I don't think anyone of importance brought it up. A lot of people are crying censorship on the whole thing but that's just bullshit, nothing is stopping them from localizing the game they just decided not to do it.

I'm probably wrong but this entire thing reeks like a publicity stunt.

>Be in a financial bind
>Can't localize a shitty game
>Annouce it
>Get no attention
>Annouce it again but mention feminist censorship
>Get twitter mob to advertise the game everywhere and decry censorship
>Reveal importing options are available through Play-Asia
>Have everybody pay for the game in order to "show dem SJWs we ain't scared"
>????
>Profit

Both "gamergate" and "SJWs" are the worst thing to ever happen to the internet. Cannot get away from their petty squabbles, it's everywhere. Just let people do what they want to do, as long as  'what they want to do' doesn't impede or hurt anyone else's 'thing they want to do'.

On the actual topic: the way I interpret it, they weren't afraid of some backlash against previous DoA games. They just saw the constant toxicity of western media surrounding a lot of Japanese games and, understandably, decided they wanted nothing to with it. At least that's how I saw it at first. Of course, they then proceeded to drop-kick the hornet's nest and wonder why a load of hornets were buzzing around them, not to mention the game is still technically available, just not localised...    

The game was translated into English already, so at the very least they intended a Western audience to play it.

Localizing the game would mean dealing with ESRB ratings and all that crap that would cost extra money, so they probably just said "ah fuck this let's just let people import it if they want it" since the game isn't even that popular to begin with so it probably wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

Since there wasn't much attention surrounding it initially, they probably tried to stir up controversy in order to advertise the game and pull in those extra sales, and what do you know, it worked.

I suggest posters here read more than one side of this story before commenting. Down's post is a good start. The Giant Beastcast, a podcast from Giant Bomb, also had a decent conversation about this issue in their latest episode. I suppose some of their points might rub people here the wrong way, particularly pertaining to their definition of censorship. http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/beastcast/ (timestamp: 53:45)

In my opinion, this seems like manufactured drama. Places like Play-Asia are trying to make an enemy out of someone so they can easily rally a movement behind their cause, and also get people to notice them and sell more copies of the import, of course.

I've never actually seen anyone call for the DoAX series to not be sold so I doubt that was actually a factor in the decision making process.

I like the latest Fatal Frame more than half of the series, but anyways...

Between possible fear of backlash once on store shelves and poor sales I can see why they decided to not bring it over. Afterall, the 360 was the biggest console in the West. The game will undoubtedly beat 2's sales in Japan just by virtue of being on a system that actually matters. It makes sense to me, but it's sad at the same time.

Also I don't really believe any conspiracy theories leaking about teaming up with PlayAsia and the such. I just see it as PlayAsia saw an opportunity and ran with it, anything else would be reading too much into it.

oh tecmo why did you partner with nintendo and screwed your fans with the fatal frame series? :( 

ps:this game is poop

Nintendo kiddifies anything it touches. Say goodbye to your violence and everything will be replaced with rainbows, mario coins, and pokeballs. If given enough power by Tecmo with DOA series, they will turn all the girls into harmless children with absolutely no trace of sexuality. Everyone of them will be wearing puffy cotton gloves and hit each other and that's the closest thing you can get with their themes of violence. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

"B-but this is hardly controversial!"

>looks at the thread title

Mmmmyeah :makina:

I've been discussing it with some of my friends. You can hardly call it an accident right now, as it looks more like a provocation of sorts, propably unintentional. Otherwise, their PR manager made a hilarious mistake.

Game is already translated. I don't see a reason why they should officially localize it as well; it will save them money and I doubt Koei Tecmo is in perfect financial state at the moment. Play-Asia barely used the whole situation to their advantage to rake in more cash, a perfect marketing move on their side.

No sane person gives a shit about SJW's and their peety squabbling. Carry on.

Yeah, that's a pretty abominable video.

You didn't need to actually watch the video to know what it was going to be like, you know ;)

Down is spot on. Xtreme 3 was never going to be localised, the use of 'censorship' is a lame scapegoat hardly anybody is going to believe. Dead or alive xTreme 2 bombed. Badly. Horny developers were too busy jacking off to their pixel waifus that they forgot to actually make a damn game to go along with it. Critics panned it, people didn't bother buying it. The remake called Paradise also bombed. The developers ruled out a Western release for Xtreme 3 long ago due to poor sales. Now we are supposed to magically believe it was because of the way the West would react to the poor treatment of women in their games? Which monumental idiot is going to believe that? It never concerned them before, and we're supposed to believe it means something to them now? LOL. Monetary incentives are a much more powerful reason, businesses always listen to the market after all.

Anyway, people are far more amused with the criticism Xtreme 3 is facing from its creator. Was he drunk or sober? Who knows. Hilarious stuff though. 

Edited by Rooke

Yeah, that's a pretty abominable video.

You didn't need to actually watch the video to know what it was going to be like, you know ;)

I lasted 45 very agonizing seconds before I had to close it. I wanted to see if it was parody or not. I mean the stereotypes were too perfect for it to not be a parody. It wasn't a parody, this person is real. That's rather incredible in a way.