would Rewrite (from Key) or any other Key VN run on Win10 (also F/SN)

Chaos

I am currently using Win 8.1 but for personal reasons most likely I will have to upgrade to Win 10 (some guarantee issues and blah blah). So I would like to know if Rewrite Vn would properly run on Win10 (not only rewrite but also F/S night, Clannad 2004/8, little busters, etc) without crashing or the text not being seenable...

BTW I found this information on the web while looking for the exact same information> http://sanahtlig.blogspot.com/2015/08/windows-10-vn-compatibility-list.html that basically explains that there is a way to know with some VN if they would actually run on WIN10 or not but I actually didnt understand it that well..

Currently using a good enough machine to play most likely any game from PS3/Xbox 

Set as japan on location? No (never needed to, not when I was using VNs on my Dell desktop, basically I was able to most liekely play all the VNs, except for Rewrite (because of siglus eng) on that Desktop without having to set local to japan as default and restart to make it set up.. still if needed too I will do it and know how to (the only VN that actually requested it was little busters.. and after that I was able to play properly)

VN downloaded on Fuwanovels? YES, all of them excepet clannad (which I think the source most likely took it from here.. but anyways)

Any further information please ask.. I didnt put all the usual info since its just a question and I havent actually expirience any issue on WIN8.1 with the VNs... 

EDIT> I just saw I submitted the topic in the wrong place, if someone could move it.. and I am REALLY sorry ... /:

Edited by Chaos

Just like Ceris, Rewrite and FSN Realta Nua works perfectly on my Laptop (with Windows 10). Actually, since I've been using Locale Emulator, almost eveything runs nicely...except the ones on the famous list...and Majikoi S (A No-DVD crack problem, I think) and Comyu (Don't know why...Hopefully, unlike Majikoi S, i finished it when my laptop was on Win 8.1).

Edited by Canicheslayer

The only thing that stopped working for me is App Locale on windows 10. Everything else still runs smoothly. At least Locale Emulator is still there.

You don't need applocale for a lot of them anyways. I got Saya no Uta working without applocale on Windows 10. I just have the country permanently changed to Japan.

Just like Ceris, Rewrite and FSN Realta Nua works perfectly on my Laptop (with Windows 10). Actually, since I've been using Locale Emulator, almost eveything runs nicely...except the ones on the famous list...and Majikoi S (A No-DVD crack problem, I think) and Comyu (Don't know why...Hopefully, unlike Majikoi S, i finished it when my laptop was on Win 8.1).

That's strange I just started Comyu fine and I'm running windows 10.

If you're running 32 bit windows just make sure the version.dll isn't there

For 64 bit windows make sure the version.dll is there.

I am running in Japanese locale though - you'll still need that for some games (eg/ favorite)

You don't need applocale for a lot of them anyways. I got Saya no Uta working without applocale on Windows 10. I just have the country permanently changed to Japan.

1. Saya is official release so it doesn't need Japanese locale

2. Locale change is needed for many VNs since it "affects the way the game runs"

3. Country change has nothing to do with VNs. I have never heard of a VN that would need a country change. (If you meant changing your location to Japan)

Thought that I would point that out :sachi: 

That's strange I just started Comyu fine and I'm running windows 10.

If you're running 32 bit windows just make sure the version.dll isn't there

For 64 bit windows make sure the version.dll is there.

I am running in Japanese locale though - you'll still need that for some games (eg/ favorite)

I tried all the methods I Knew (with ou without version.dll, with or without the "Fuwanovel Win8" patch, with or without Locale Emulator, with or without Japanese Locale). It's a complete mystery for me (again it worked smoothly with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) :michiru: Edit : Retry N°1258. Always the same Kernel32 module./NM error...

Edit : It's a miracle ! Just for the fun, I reinstalled Majikoi S and it worked... :wahaha:...:wafuu:

Edited by Canicheslayer

The only thing that stopped working for me is App Locale on windows 10. Everything else still runs smoothly. At least Locale Emulator is still there.

I play lots of untranslated visual novels so I kinda need them all the time. Locale changing software is important to me and I need something that works.... lol

2. Locale change is needed for many VNs since it "affects the way the game runs"

3. Country change has nothing to do with VNs. I have never heard of a VN that would need a country change. (If you meant changing your location to Japan)

Funny. Mine had an applocale download file in it. Plus, I don't think I was clear. I'm pretty sure changing the language on Windows 10 helps with a lot of these games.

• 1 month later...

I found this topic before I upgraded to Windows 10 and I wanted to share some information.

My personal situation: I had Windows 8.1 without any updates till yesterday. Every game I installed was working. After I was doing updates and installing Windows "without loosing files" (yes, I deleted all my programms and registry on purpose) and finally configured it the last hours.

All things on the C-Drive are gone but the Documents folder left untouched. However, I had some savegames that aren´t located there, are gone.

Because I kept all my files till now I don´t installed something, so why I am writing this? Even if I don´t installed this stuff, it runs without problems (so nothing is in the registry. May will update if I install some stuff.). Many games are running currently like Clannad, 1/2 Summer, Little Busters EX! or Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- are working without trouble, but games that are supposed to work like Rewrite and Angel Beats 1st Beat aren´t working for myself anymore. I will try to reinstall it and see what happens. And no, I tried compatibility mode.

My answer, maybe, some worked. Some stuff is currently working, but I don´t know now if a reinstall will solve that problem.

Small Edit about the not installed stuff: Just translated an Angel Beats error message:

"セットアップ情報が見つかりません。レジストリが壊れています。

ゲームを再セットアップすることでこの問題は解決する可能性があります。"

I am forced to reinstall Angel Beats because of the Registry like I said, but I am not sure about Rewrite, it isn´t even starting at all currently. Seems like some VN´s are corrupted after upgrading.

It honestly sounds like you botched the upgrade process in some way. You said you deleted all of your programs and registry? Why would you do that? Stuff like that is going to cause a lot of things to not work. You can upgrade windows perfectly fine without doing that. 

On 11/29/2015 at 2:02 PM, Kiriririri said:

Pretty sure they mean the admin system locale setting, that changes the language for non-unicode programs. I've had mine set to Japan for years now, and have never needed to use the applocale prog.

EDIT: I just noticed how old that post was, oh well, I'll roll with it :makina:

That aside - only crazy people trust win10 enough to use it...I don't care if people call me a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, but mark my words there's a lot of fingers in that OS pie that we don't know about. If you value your privacy, i'd avoid it. :tinfoilhatemote:

6 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Pretty sure they mean the admin system locale setting, that changes the language for non-unicode programs. I've had mine set to Japan for years now, and have never needed to use the applocale prog.

EDIT: I just noticed how old that post was, oh well, I'll roll with it :makina:

I was mostly talking to VirginSmasher who mentioned country change but whatever. :makina:

15 hours ago, Decay said:

It honestly sounds like you botched the upgrade process in some way.

No, I said that I did it on purpose. The thing I don´t told was, that I broke my registry really bad because I did certain stuff that normal people wouldn´t do and had the most dumb issues I could ever get. Things like recovery failed, Windows 8.1 deleted all of them, "not enough space". Like a randomly booting PC or suddenly a fully loaded computer, so everything lagged. Because of that I reinstalled everything from scratch. And I wanted to tell others what can happen if you do that, never found information to a topic like "VN´s without registry on Win10". I am aware of the fact that programms would be able to run sometimes more likely if I save everything (like Rewrite that is in that "working for Win10 list"), but don´t wanted to get cartain bugs like "explorer.exe is unable to open an folder", I wasn´t even able to get access to my harddvire after updates, or such stuff ported to Win10. Maybe some people don´t like Win10, but honestly, it´s smooth, can´t complain.

15 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

If you value your privacy, i'd avoid it. :tinfoilhatemote:

I am aware of that, I am not like "yea lets upgrade because I really wanted to". I did it because of bunch of reasons and thought about it since months. But keep in mind that much Win-stuff Blocker are outside like Spybot Anti-Beacon. An alternative is, install a second Windows and use it for certain stuff. It´s not like someone can force me to use it if I don´t want to. Another alternative, delete or block all that stuff with the hosts file and cmd/registry, better than nothing. Honestly, I doubt someone will know that experience to get a randomly booted pc at night, fixed all my chaos with a clean wipe, only need to reinstall certain VN´s and go sure I will do that stuff like I said.

One last thing, one of the main reasons to update on Windows 10 was stuff like DX12 and the compatibility to do certain stuff. Some older versions of Windows can be seen as a more trustable windows, but if I can´t get certain features or programms without DX12, it would be a bit sad. I still wanted to try to hack PS3 VN´s, and that is currently only possible with Win10 and DX12 for example. Everything has positive and negative aspects, see how you want to see it. I can understand why people don´t like to upgrade, it´s not like I am not aware of that opinion, but I did some research and then decided to do it because of my Registry and DX12. May DX12 is not VN related, but I wouldn´t say that I only play VN´s. :3

And yea, I like to write a bit more, hope not too much. :3