Musumaker Translation Project (Mikan, Karin, Ichigo, Suika, Zakuro, Yuzu routes complete!)

RaurosFalls

Hello! Good day! I'm just here to say good luck with the translation! I'm already loving Karin and sadly it ended prematurely. I am not wise in Japanese language so I can only wish you guys good luck! I hope there are more translators that can help you!

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2017 at 11:57 PM, tymmur said:

The translation is finally progressing again as RaurosFalls has resumed work on Zakuro's route.

That's fantastic news. Glad to hear things are up and running again. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Eliont said:

Hmm, is there any way to unpack hd edition (Taskforce2 *.bin) archives? 

Cant find any working tool.

To my knowledge there isn't any online extractor. I spent ages writing a tool to extract even just the script. Sadly it's undistributable for technical reasons (near impossible to move between computers and will never work in windows) and it takes skill to use it, but it gave me the script, which unlocks the option of translating the VN. All this work and I haven't even come to the issues involved in getting the script back into the game or moving the already translated lines to the HD version. And then there are the lines, which are hardcoded into the exe file, meaning there is a need for a translated exe. Does the fun ever stop? ;)

(I fixed all the issues mentioned here as well as lots of other issues)

Now that most(all?) technical issues have been solved, we need to get the translation going and for that we need translators. Pushing RaurosFalls to work faster is not an option (he is really doing fine now), meaning the only option to speed up is to get more people involved. In other words we are recruiting translators.

Work as a translator used to be complex and error prone due to writing in a file with mixed text and code. Now it's split and translators get a spreadsheet like interface with the line in one cell and room to fill in the translation in the next. Each line also have cells for notes and other useful stuff. In other words translators do not need any skills other than the ability to translate. Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by tymmur

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.07.2017 at 5:12 AM, tymmur said:

Let me know if you are interested.

Interested surely, but have almost zero japanese knowledge =)

On 19.07.2017 at 5:12 AM, tymmur said:

I haven't even come to the issues involved in getting the script back into the game or moving the already translated lines to the HD version

Do you thinking about port the game to RenPy ?

4 hours ago, Eliont said:

Interested surely, but have almost zero japanese knowledge =)

I know that feeling. Sadly that's not going to aid the translation speed or quality.

4 hours ago, Eliont said:

Do you thinking about port the game to RenPy ?

Way back before this thread was even started (and before the HD version was announced obviously) I did consider it because of the game engine, which is English hostile. Basically if you just replace the Japanese text with English, it will crash. The problem is that the most significant bit on the first byte in a line determines if it's a command or text. This bit is 1 for all Japanese characters and 0 for all English characters, which means English will cause the game to try to execute the commands and then crash on unknown commands. Porting the story part would be strait forward, but there is the whole economy and RPG (or at least character stats and levels), which would essentially need a remake rather than a port. There are other parts too, which would be near impossible to just port.

Once I realized what the problem was, I wrote a script to ensure that all the lines starts correctly. Due to adding other error checking/correcting features and stuff, I remade the tool. I then remade it from scratch again later to split code and translatable text to ensure that translator(s) can't break the code. Now it's working perfectly.

Considering Ren'Py for the HD version made no sense because without the HD graphics, we might as well just stay with the old version. I worked very hard on extracting the script and I eventually succeeded in that. Next I spent an eternity getting a single modified line back inside the game and once I did that, porting was no longer something to consider. It seems that the HD version added new commands to do new fancy stuff with graphics, but otherwise the two engines seems to use the same scripting language.

I would actually be sorry to leave the game engine because it's pretty good once you get to know it. It's not compiled (like some other VNs), meaning I'm now in full control. The engine is quite feature rich and can do stuff most engines can't. For instance both character screens and training are 100% script code. The interactive training screens are actually a lot of code to change "character" sprite, move them as well as play audio, all widely used commands in traditional VN sense. There is a command to wait for a mouse click, which reads the object, which is clicked and then the action on that object is handled with VN script code. An engine, which is able to do this is too awesome not to use.

Having full control of the game engine means the ability to do anything. I have fixed a number of bugs, rebalanced training to make all girls sort of equal (you no longer have to pick the same each time for financial reasons), made some virtually impossible to get H scenes to just hard to get as well as enabling some unreachable HCGs (mainly missing due to typos). This means once the translation is done, it should also be possible to get 100% in the CG history without cheating (though it still requires many playthroughs). It also means stuff like girls not getting stat changes behind the text window, which makes it near impossible to see the numbers. The game is not without bugs, but the (custom) engine seem not to be to blame for this and they all seem fixable in the script.

In short: it's the VN engine I know the best by now and it also seems to be the best VN engine I have ever seen, particularly for this VN. Moving away from it seems really stupid.

• 4 weeks later...

I will make a status update post for the first time in a very long time. In fact this will be the first progress report in more than a year.

Last year the HD remake was released. I got busy making it possible to translate it, moving the existing translation etc. While doing that, I also developed a new format, which makes it easier to work with the text, particularly when expanding to stuff like editing and easy testing ingame of the newly translated text. One thing I kept postponing was status reporting. It was always less important than say making sure the translated text works ingame, allowing full room for RaurosFalls to translate etc. This means since May 2016 or something like that, no status report has been published because I didn't know the status.

I finally reached the point where I have a script to report the current status and the change since last report.

38.8% TOTAL            +15.0%  
23754/61172              +9171  

66.1% Routes           +25.6%  
 24.6% Side Stories      +5.2%  
 21.7% Training          +4.5%  

Routes
 88.6% Common           +22.6%  
  5.3% Karin             +1.3%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
 49.3% Mikan            +48.1%  
100.0% Yuzu             +50.1%  
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro           +75.2%

If you look up the last report, it says 30.9% complete, which doesn't add up with the numbers here. The reason is that after the transfer, only 23.9% was translated, not because of fewer translated lines, but because the HD version has more contents, hence more lines.

I'm happy to announce that @waterflame has joined the team. He will be doing work on image files, which would be drawing names, buttons etc to look like the original as much as possible, but with English text.

2 minutes ago, VonKlaus said:

its posible to make without mosaic?

To remove mosaic will require having a layer to remove, which is often doable in 3D images rendered at runtime. VNs using 2D images (that's almost all of them), the normal approach is apparently to use multiple layers when being created and then on release, those layers are put together into one, making it impossible for us to split them apart again. This means to get a censored VN uncensored, you either have to draw everything yourself or get the images prior to merging the layers. The first is very time consuming and the latter is only for official releases.

In short: no. You should not expect the mosaic to be different from the Japanese version and that goes for all translation patches. There is nothing specific to Musumaker in this post, though it all applies.

8 hours ago, tymmur said:

I will make a status update post for the first time in a very long time. In fact this will be the first progress report in more than a year.

Last year the HD remake was released. I got busy making it possible to translate it, moving the existing translation etc. While doing that, I also developed a new format, which makes it easier to work with the text, particularly when expanding to stuff like editing and easy testing ingame of the newly translated text. One thing I kept postponing was status reporting. It was always less important than say making sure the translated text works ingame, allowing full room for RaurosFalls to translate etc. This means since May 2016 or something like that, no status report has been published because I didn't know the status.

I finally reached the point where I have a script to report the current status and the change since last report.

38.8% TOTAL            +15.0%  
23754/61172              +9171  

66.1% Routes           +25.6%  
 24.6% Side Stories      +5.2%  
 21.7% Training          +4.5%  

Routes
 88.6% Common           +22.6%  
  5.3% Karin             +1.3%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
 49.3% Mikan            +48.1%  
100.0% Yuzu             +50.1%  
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro           +75.2%

If you look up the last report, it says 30.9% complete, which doesn't add up with the numbers here. The reason is that after the transfer, only 23.9% was translated, not because of fewer translated lines, but because the HD version has more contents, hence more lines.

I'm happy to announce that @waterflame has joined the team. He will be doing work on image files, which would be drawing names, buttons etc to look like the original as much as possible, but with English text.

Thank you for the update. Really looking forward to continued progress!

14 hours ago, tymmur said:

To remove mosaic will require having a layer to remove, which is often doable in 3D images rendered at runtime. VNs using 2D images (that's almost all of them), the normal approach is apparently to use multiple layers when being created and then on release, those layers are put together into one, making it impossible for us to split them apart again. This means to get a censored VN uncensored, you either have to draw everything yourself or get the images prior to merging the layers. The first is very time consuming and the latter is only for official releases.

In short: no. You should not expect the mosaic to be different from the Japanese version and that goes for all translation patches. There is nothing specific to Musumaker in this post, though it all applies.

So what company is this? I mean, I could totally just send them a friendly totally not socially engineered email, I'm sure they'd be happy to share :3

6 hours ago, 09astro27nm said:

A quick thing. I was trying to push some minor edits to the script file and it came back with a 403 forbidden error. Is it necessary for you to approve someone for them to make commits to the text?

If you refer to github, then yes. However the files on github are from the 2009 version, which is why we abandoned github entirely more than a year ago. The current files are not publicly available.

The first few posts will be updated shortly to not make it look like github is up to date.

The first two posts have been updated to talk about the HD version rather than the now outdated 2009 version.

Progress from the past week. A bit low on lines due to being a section with long lines.

39.0% TOTAL             +0.2%  
23855/61172              +101   

66.4% Routes            +0.3%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 88.6% Common                   
  5.3% Karin                    
 13.3% Ichigo                   
 52.3% Mikan             +3.0%  
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro    

22 minutes ago, 09astro27nm said:

Also, do we have an ETA on when the translations will be ready for QC or a test patch?

No. This depends on so many unknowns that nobody will even try to make an estimate. It's not that I haven't tried to make some myself. I have for multiple VNs, but it turns out that progress is too unstable to make predictions based on progress in the past. Maybe it can be predicted with paid workers with a set daily/weekly quota, but it appears to be impossible for non-profit projects.

Thank you for you work!

I sincerely agree with your statement regarding RenPy. RenPy is only a good engine for pure visual novels, I know there are some other games using the engine but... it's really restrictive, they seldom have very good mechanics or are very innovative, except for the story they tell.

greeting from one of your silent followers ^^

Weekly update. Looks pretty much like last week, mainly because progress is the second half of the same scene.

39.2% TOTAL             +0.2%  
23988/61172              +133   

66.9% Routes            +0.5%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 88.6% Common                   
  5.3% Karin                    
 13.3% Ichigo                   
 56.3% Mikan             +3.9%  
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika