Musumaker Translation Project (Mikan, Karin, Ichigo, Suika, Zakuro, Yuzu routes complete!)

RaurosFalls

On 6/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, tymmur said:

Just a quick post to say that this project is still active and a lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes.

Could you post once a week or 2 just a "It's still going" so people don't lose hope?

thanks and keep up good work

1 hour ago, MrZangaroo said:

Could you post once a week or 2 just a "It's still going" so people don't lose hope?

thanks and keep up good work

But you are supposed to give up hope. That makes the surprise and joy much better when it's suddenly released :sacchan:

I'm planning a big post, but right now I can say I finally fixed the last engine issue and narration is finally showing up ingame 100% like I want it. No more leading whitespace compared to Japanese or dialogue. I'm not saying I fixed all issues (the Japanese version isn't bug free), but the remaining issues are all script issues, not engine issues, which is good news because script issues are much easier to fix. Even better, script issues usually affects a single line or short section rather than all lines or all lines of a certain type (which also makes spotting all of them more tricky).

The HCGs are being decensored and I really like the quality of the results so far. Adding them ingame without repacking everything is tricky and time consuming, but I managed to write a script to do it automatically. The same script handles translated images, such as text on buttons.

As always more people would be beneficial. On top of all the obvious tasks, I'm thinking of adding an opening for a recruiter. Somebody who can be active online (mainly other places than Fuwa) and create awareness of the Musumaker translation project and the fact that we are recruiting. If I don't have to actively look for people, then I will get more free time, which I can spend on Musumaker itself. In other words productivity can be boosted by somebody with insights in how social media works and knows everywhere where VN translator candidates hang out even if said person have no skills to work on the project files themselves.

15 hours ago, tymmur said:

I'm planning a big post, but right now I can say I finally fixed the last engine issue and narration is finally showing up ingame 100% like I want it. No more leading whitespace compared to Japanese or dialogue. I'm not saying I fixed all issues (the Japanese version isn't bug free), but the remaining issues are all script issues, not engine issues, which is good news because script issues are much easier to fix. Even better, script issues usually affects a single line or short section rather than all lines or all lines of a certain type (which also makes spotting all of them more tricky).

The HCGs are being decensored and I really like the quality of the results so far. Adding them ingame without repacking everything is tricky and time consuming, but I managed to write a script to do it automatically. The same script handles translated images, such as text on buttons.

I'm glad that things are going well.

Decensoring the CGs too? You guys are truly amazing. :mare:

On 8/10/2018 at 6:52 AM, tymmur said:

But you are supposed to give up hope. That makes the surprise and joy much better when it's suddenly released :sacchan:

As always more people would be beneficial. On top of all the obvious tasks, I'm thinking of adding an opening for a recruiter. Somebody who can be active online (mainly other places than Fuwa) and create awareness of the Musumaker translation project and the fact that we are recruiting. If I don't have to actively look for people, then I will get more free time, which I can spend on Musumaker itself. In other words productivity can be boosted by somebody with insights in how social media works and knows everywhere where VN translator candidates hang out even if said person have no skills to work on the project files themselves.

Have you tried recruiting people in the Reddit community? I'd bet there'd be a few peeps there.

• 4 weeks later...

@tymmur

Hi, not sure if you still need/or care, but:

I managed to code some software that by sheer luck worked and I managed to extract ALL the resources images/voices/music/sound/cgs/scripts/texts/even the damn original PSD's, and I can change, modify ANY file, so long as it stays the same format, like you can't rename a jpg file to a png and expect it to work etc.(that includes the actual internal format of the file)
Also, with a push of ONE damn button, I can compile it all (or seperate files .bin) back to their compressed form, without the game even noticing a problem, it works without a hich.

You can change text in files (like add/modify translations), without any weird stuff going on:
HX83CHe.png

So, if anyone (tho rn. directly asking @tymmur) want's to know how to do it, you can ask me here or pm me. It was a hell and a half getting this to work, it gotten to the point where I manually edited .bin files with the damn Notepad++, just to figure out the structure. Online resources regarding digitalcute file formats are almost non existant. Also, in the pic above, <br> also works, just forgot lol.

EDIT: alot of translations/images work from the old 2008 version. 
EDIT: Also to add, the compress/decompress process of all files is damn fast, meaning even small test edit are possible.

I personally don't speak JPN, but I have a crap ton of translation software, actually more or less accurate(I have translated stuff before), so if ya need a little help from time to time, you can pm me. Also don't be shy if you need any small/medium apps done (for dealing with files/translations etc), I can help ya out there^^. Just continue doing what you're doing, so we can all enjoy the fruits of labor one day.

Edited by Specs

Ages ago when I started to study the HD remake, my first step was to write a file extractor, then study the file format, make text changes, which showed up ingame, extracted the text to xml format, imported the translated text from the "old project" and once the old translation could show up in the remake, then other people could start working on the remake directly. This work was full of all sorts of safeguards like comparing the untranslated text to make sure they didn't modify it before transferring the translation. Nothing is assumed in this part of the work.

I'm way ahead of you in multiple ways. I know how to translate the names and have done so. The engine splits words between lines, meaning I had to write a script to judge the length of the line and insert newlines. Not perfect (yet), but the failure rate is something like once out of 3000 lines, which is well within the range of manageable for manual editing.

And yes there are some files not used in the game, including some photoshop files. However the vast majority are really boring and not useful at all. It's not like there are HCG photoshop files with a blur layer to disable or anything like that.

I'm generally not talking much about the contents of the bin files if I even talk about it at all and I'm not talking about the file format. The reason is as I stated earlier: the translation project should be a tool to make English speaking people enjoy the copy of Musumaker they bought. It should not be a tool to grant access to HCGs without buying. I managed to have the file extractor and extracted files for more than two years without leaking anything online and in all honesty I would prefer it to stay that way. Official or not, I view translation projects as something, which should be in the best interest of the developer/publisher and publishing HCGs to non-buyers doesn't match that goal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To those asking for news, I have been inactive for a while on this project. I'm taking time to properly learn Japanese. Right now, I don't know kanji very well so it takes me several times longer to work out the meaning of the sentence than just by reading it alone. Once I learn it, my speed will increase and it will not be so burdensome to do the translation.

At this point, we are pretty close to a release (just have to finish Ichigo's route), but I backed out of continuing translating ~6 months ago. I don't know if I should focus on learning kanji or finishing the route first. Maybe if there is enough demand for it I can finish the route. It's about 5000 lines, I think. Which is certainly more than a little bit of work (that's why I wanted to take a break).

I don't know if Tymmur is still around either.

Edited by RaurosFalls

2 hours ago, RaurosFalls said:

To those asking for news, I have been inactive for a while on this project. I'm taking time to properly learn Japanese. Right now, I don't know kanji very well so it takes me several times longer to work out the meaning of the sentence than just by reading it alone. Once I learn it, my speed will increase and it will not be so burdensome to do the translation.

At this point, we are pretty close to a release (just have to finish Ichigo's route), but I backed out of continuing translating ~6 months ago. I don't know if I should focus on learning kanji or finishing the route first. Maybe if there is enough demand for it I can finish the route. It's about 5000 lines, I think. Which is certainly more than a little bit of work (that's why I wanted to take a break).

Focus on your Japanese studies. The world doesn't need more half-baked "English" patches.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, RaurosFalls said:

Even if you guys haven't finished it yet I personally would love a patch for the currently done routes. Some translation is always better than no translation at least for me. If you or Tymmur are still working on this though, I will wait patiently for the finished patch.

1 hour ago, Alistoru said:

Even if you guys haven't finished it yet I personally would love a patch for the currently done routes. Some translation is always better than no translation at least for me. If you or Tymmur are still working on this though, I will wait patiently for the finished patch.

Actually, I have some free time now and the will to work on this, so I will begin work on Ichigo's route and get the patch out relatively soon.

Tymmur has made a bunch of tools for working with this game which I don't fully understand so it would be nice if he could show up, so I don't have to cobble together the patch myself.

Good luck with that. I agree with Alistoru, getting what's there is better than never getting anything if the project ultimately dies, like so many have before. Very very sadly it seems to be a common theme that translation projects die at the 80-90% mark. Of course i hope you guys will eventually be able to finish this project. But if it becomes apparent that it won't happen it'd be great if you could release what you have, so if someone else wants to try it at some point in the future, at least they won't have to start over completely from scratch.

But i really hope to see you guys finish this anyway! Good luck.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, RaurosFalls said:

Actually, I have some free time now and the will to work on this, so I will begin work on Ichigo's route and get the patch out relatively soon.

Tymmur has made a bunch of tools for working with this game which I don't fully understand so it would be nice if he could show up, so I don't have to cobble together the patch myself.

That would be really cool, I know many people are still poking their heads in here hoping for a patch. I am not sure if Tymmur is still around as his last post was in September but I hope he is. I'm sure he put a lot of work into those tools.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:16 PM, Alistoru said:

That would be really cool, I know many people are still poking their heads in here hoping for a patch. I am not sure if Tymmur is still around as his last post was in September but I hope he is. I'm sure he put a lot of work into those tools.

It's not only those tools. He also collaborated with artists to produce decensored images, but I can't find those on the git repository. I figure they must be on his hard drive. If he doesn't turn up, I'll have to release the patch without those images. 

• 4 weeks later...