Musumaker Translation Project (Mikan, Karin, Ichigo, Suika, Zakuro, Yuzu routes complete!)

RaurosFalls

10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

But 91.4 + 8.4 is 99.8?

I was wondering who would dare to be the little boy in the Emperor's new cloth. You are right, the numbers are a bit off this week. They split into the following:

91.4% already translated

8.4% newly translated

0.2% unused in Japanese version, hence not counted

The leftover lines will never be displayed ingame, which is why we mark them as not used. This in turn makes the line count skip them and the total will drop, which explains how 99.8% is suddenly 100% of the lines left in the story. The skipped lines really should be skipped as they are only used in the demo (you can do this and that in the full version), spoilers for events, which haven't taken place yet and so on. This might happen again because we don't know if such lines hide in the untranslated files. However it's likely a total of (far) below 100 lines. Nothing major.

We don't re-add contents, which has been axed for a reason because (among other things) it would make the VN worse. If something is to be changed, then it will have to increase quality. For instance a typo and a copy paste error in the control code for Karin's side stories meant depending on her schedule levels, it is possible to trigger the same episode over and over instead of progressing. It would also be possible to skip displaying episodes entirely. I have changed that to do as obviously intended and now all episodes will be used and only one time for each. Because of this I won't say that we will never make a change to the flow of lines, but each change has to be very carefully considered and we generally do not make changes to the flow of text.

Do you guys have any plans to release a future partial patch? Given that at the project's current pace it'll take 2+ years to complete, I think it would be a decent idea to release one after all the main routes have been finished. From the looks of the progress updates, the side stories and training make up a significant amount of the remaining lines, and I imagine most people would be more interested in the routes themselves.

Edited by twisted

To be completely honest we aren't talking about partial patches for the time being. Part of the reason is that the interface is untranslated. It's a bunch of png files, which needs to be remade. We have the guy to do it, but he is currently busy with Majo Koi Nikki. Another reason is that while the text has been translated, it has yet to be edited or otherwise checked for quality. In other words releasing a partial patch in the current state would result in a worse reading experience than we intend and using such a partial will spoil the final version.

We will take partial patches up to review once we have something in a state where we could actually consider it. I have no idea when that will be, but it will likely take some time. Precisely how long will depend on multiple factors, like if we can manage to recruit more people. Right now it's mainly a one man job as RaurosFalls is the sole translator. It goes without saying that despite him being fairly fast these days, he is just one person.

This week has been back to work on the common route. Long ago it was announced that the common route was done and now it's not done anymore. The reason is that the definition of common route has changed. Back then it was the mandatory storyline from end of prologue to a certain date. Now the common route is any file, which is not part of a route, side story or training and it actually consists of a collection of small routes, though each of the small will not be published as it would spam the update overview without adding much info. This means the common route is no longer complete, not because we deleted contents, but because it contains a somewhat modified set of files.

The main difference is that the indexing of files was done by game date, meaning it was used to tell which is the next file the player would encounter. Now the files are indexed based on contents, or more specifically each route or mini route are a continuous story without interruptions of the other small stories. An example would be Itsuki talks with person X. The next file in that "route" would be Itsuki thinking about what was said and contacts X about it. This setup makes it easier for editors to make those files fit together nicely, even if the player might encounter other stuff in between. In other words the new setup will hopefully result in a better end result.

We are still missing editors btw and more translators would for sure speed up the translation speed.

41.9% TOTAL             +0.3%  
25656/61164              +202   

72.7% Routes            +0.7%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 91.3% Common            +2.8%  
  5.3% Karin                    
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro

Hello tymmur,

I haven't gotten through all of the posts on the forum yet, but I noticed you earlier requesting assistance in balancing the stat progression in the game. I would love to assist with this. Please let me know if you still need someone for this, and ask anything of me you might need. I have a background in statistics and IT work, and I have modded other games before (not visual novels, but games like Final Fantasy Tactics and XCOM/XCOM2).

On 20/10/2017 at 2:58 AM, ShadowSkyle said:

Hello tymmur,

I haven't gotten through all of the posts on the forum yet, but I noticed you earlier requesting assistance in balancing the stat progression in the game. I would love to assist with this. Please let me know if you still need someone for this, and ask anything of me you might need. I have a background in statistics and IT work, and I have modded other games before (not visual novels, but games like Final Fantasy Tactics and XCOM/XCOM2).

Thanks, but I don't think balancing is such an issue anymore. It has been tested in the past and I now know how fast people tend to progress through the levels. Also the numbers seems to be ok relative to each other, meaning what's left is to just play the game from start to end and see which levels the girls will end up with. If it's way off the current requirements, everything will need to be scaled. If not, then it stays as it is. I have a hunch that I got it right by now. I don't really need anybody else to make the playthrough test because it's important to know how well the player plays relative to other players and I know that about myself, but not new players. Also I need to make some full playthoughs anyway for a long list of other reasons.

Weekly update. A bit late because my internet connection died. It's still 7 days as this looks nicer for statistical reasons and as such is already slightly outdated.

43.3% TOTAL             +0.3%  
26480/61164              +190   

75.6% Routes            +0.7%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 16.9% Karin             +4.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro     

One more week working on Karin's route.

43.4% TOTAL             +0.1%  
26540/61164              +60    

75.8% Routes            +0.2%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 18.4% Karin             +1.4%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro    

Progress this week was despite wasting some time on technical problems.

44.8% TOTAL             +0.4%  
27384/61164              +250   

78.7% Routes            +0.9%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 38.8% Karin             +6.0%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro 

45.0% TOTAL             +0.2%  
27534/61164              +150   

79.2% Routes            +0.5%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 42.4% Karin             +3.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro   

On 14/12/2017 at 5:57 AM, littleshogun said:

Good job on your end to deliver weekly updates there, and hope that someday we could see Musumaker release therefore allowing people who interested with this to play the VN in English language. Good luck to your efforts there.

Thanks. It's encouraging to get feedback that it's not just ignored. Obviously I wrote a script to get the status, but it's still not nothing to remember to update git, run the script and copy paste the output to the forum.

We sure look forward to seeing a release too. It still has a long way to go though. For instance the interface is still untranslated and we can always use more translators to speed up progress. We are also still without any editors. Playing the VN in the current state really is an inferior experience compared to the planned result.