Musumaker Translation Project (Mikan, Karin, Ichigo, Suika, Zakuro, Yuzu routes complete!)

RaurosFalls

• 3 weeks later...

That's the other file I located to contain the same error. Download the other file  here. Once again unzip and overwrite the file in scripts\day. As before, this is a bugfix, not a translation release. The quality is "as is" because nobody reviewed it.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the work you're doing to get this game translated, but I recently hit a major bug that I cannot fix for the life of me.

I installed the 15% patch and also used some of the scriptfiles on the progress page on Github. After hitting about the third week of April, the game started bugging out though - it was auto-skipping the text way faster than normal and it was also skipping text that I'd had not seen before (autoskip didn't let me do this previously). I decided to do a quicksave and restarted the game. When I reopened the game, the game was running funky - if I went to the load screen, it was autoscrolling through all the pages from 1-99 in about 2 seconds non-stop. I couldn't even click on the save files. The music was also glitching out, like it was a skipping CD.

So I uninstalled, re-installed about 6 times in different combinations - delete all save data, keep the save data, backup and copy the save data, full game deletion, etc, but its still doing it now-even on fresh installs without the patch even applied.

You guys wouldn't happen to know whats up with that, would you? Does the patch do any registry writes that might stay as legacy info for the next install?

I'm thinking hard on what could cause something like this. First of all, the game engine will behave "funny" if you do not run it with Japanese locale. However according to my experience, the errors would be inserting a space after each character, making it hard to read and failure to read certain graphic/audio files. Nothing like you describe.

I can't think of anything the script could do to make something like this, nor anything else that I know about. If you delete the savegames and settings, then the game shouldn't leave anything else behind between installs. My best guess would be what you did leave behind: windows. Did windows update itself around the time when it broke? Have you tried running in compatibility mode? It's from 2008 and works well in XP, meaning XP compatibility mode might help it.

The more I think about it, the more the arrow points toward windows itself. My guess is that the game wants a certain function (update screen etc) to run x times a second. When it's done, the application want windows to make it sleep until it's ready for the next round. For some reason windows refuse to let it sleep and makes it carry on. An update to a windows interface framework could explain it.

29 minutes ago, Pandorp said:

Does the patch do any registry writes that might stay as legacy info for the next install?

Not that I know of. I didn't make the installer, but the point is that it should just unzip into the game directory. There is no need to do anything else.

The game saves in AppData. I assume that's what you referred to as deleting the save data. It also stores which lines have been read there and presumably everything else.

Weird, I fixed it today.

Apparently it was a hardware conflict with my Logitech mouse. Apparently the MX518 series will cause an auto mouse-scroll if you accidentally hit the DPI- button while scrolling in this game. Go figure.

If anyone else has this problem, it's probably entirely unrelated to the patch, but scroll your mousewheel ONLY down (if you scroll up it will permanently break until restart) and then click an arrow on the save load screen and it'll fix.

10 hours ago, Pandorp said:

Apparently the MX518 series will cause an auto mouse-scroll if you accidentally hit the DPI- button while scrolling in this game. Go figure.

I have the very same mouse and all I have noticed from clicking that button is change of mouse pointer speed when moving the mouse. Hitting the + button fixes that issue and I never considered it serious. I think what happened is that you overclocked the mouse and made it trigger some event like click or scroll multiple times each second. Presumably it makes sense in some games, but clearly not this one ;)

Either way the problem has been fixed and we have something to write in case somebody else encounters it in the future. The fact that it has nothing to do with the patch isn't important as it is a problem, which affects patch users regardless of who is to blame.

• 3 weeks later...

I updated the link in post 2 about the translation status. It is now much more detailed as it counts for each group of files, not just overall. I also "translated" 0.008% by make it not counting some cut content. While we have talked about the possibility of adding cut content if it can be used (time will tell if we find something of decent quality), the stuff I disabled in stats is clearly not worth using as it is lines like "here ends the demo" or a few lines with references to never written events.

The translation is an ongoing project and progresses steadily even when nothing new is reported in this thread. More translators would speed up progress and would always be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like MusumakerHD is announced http://digitalcute.com/digitalcute/musumakerhd

720p graphics, better training animation and more contents (or whatever they add. Haven't quite figured it out) sounds great, but with a new script, the existing translation can't be copied. In a best case scenario I can write a perl script to look up the lines and then paste them into the new script where the Japanese line haven't been changed, but that might require a bit of luck. All the modified graphics will have to be redone. I'm not 100% sure what I should think about this. It's so great and bad at the same time.

Naturally there is technically nothing preventing us from sticking to the current version, but..... I want the HD version with the extra content.

I have done some thinking about what to do regarding moving the translation to a new script and has come up with a plan. We should have some text only version of each script file where just the text is present. That is Japanese line and then on the next line the translation. Last is a blank line to tell the lines apart. This should be a hybrid, meaning it contains the lines from both versions and identical lines are merged if possible. Naturally this would require some sort of scripting or it would take ages to make.

Translator(s) can then translate simply to editing that file. This will make it clean and not give translators access to code (like sprite changing), reducing the risk of translator introduced bugs due to carelessness.

When the translation should be used, a script reads the file and then inserts it back into the script files. Using two different scripts or one script with two different start arguments, it would be possible to use the same translation in both versions. Keeping the old version "alive" makes sense as the remake has higher system requirements and it would likely not require much more work than just moving the translation. Creating a usable game script using a perl script is not really different from the current setup where a perl script ensures the encoding and similar to be correct.

This should work if the lines are mostly the same and I assume they will be. Rewriting all the lines would require redoing all the voice files, which mean there is a compelling financial reason not to change the lines too much. Translating the remake also require the ability to extract and insert files in the remake engine. Time will tell if that turns out to be a problem. The wait for the remake seems awfully long when you want to play it. It seems even longer when speculating on how to handle the engine for a translation project.

Wow musumaker hd... this looks amazing!

Right, I hope it doesn't interfere too much if we want to get both "translated"... guess that might mean a lot more work for tymmur...

I have some bad news, unfortunately... I had a psychotic episode am currently on medication (will be for a while). I'm not sure how this will affect my ability to progress. Obviously, I'll keep at it the best I can, but I feel like my enjoyment factor for it has decreased... *sigh*.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a bunch of research regarding extracting scripts and stuff like that as well as planning for moving the translation to the remake script. While it isn't a 5 minute job, I seem to have reduced it from "huge unknown task" to a bunch of tasks, which all seems doable. This mean I have more confidence in getting a remake translation working than I had when I wrote the last post. Still I can't be 100% sure until I have the remake and see if certain details are as I hope they are.

There are a few issues I haven't solved though.

* How to store the script?

My plan was to just add it to git like the current setup. This has the sideeffect of all text files being readable directly from a browser and it is publicly available, most likely included in google's search engine. I didn't really think about that for a more than 5 year old VN where the script was already posted online multiple times. However it might not be the correct approach for a newly released VN. I'm not entirely sure what to about this. Ideas are most welcome.

* Interface patch

The interface patch includes a bunch of buttons, which has been edited to have the text in English. This would have to be redone for the new resolution, but currently nobody working on Musumaker has the graphical skills to do so. I see no choice, but to rely on the forum and hope that we can get somebody here to do it (one or more people). The specific list of what needs to be done will be out once I have examined the remake. While I think recruitment would be easier once the tasks are known in detail, I would like to ask now if anybody could be interested in looking into this task.

As always we welcome anybody who wants to contribute with anything. Translation, decensoring, QC'ing or whatever you would like to do. Any contribution is welcome. Tell us if you are interested in doing anything, even if it is a task, which would make sense to postpone until we have the remake. Currently we have managed to recruit 0 people who contributed in the half a year this thread has exited (not counting playtesters). It's somewhat less than what I had hoped :unsure:

Last, but not least, I would like help from somebody, who can hypnotize people. It would be great if RaurosFalls suddenly think the meaning of life is to translate around the clock, or at least if the enjoyment of translating could increase. Do anybody know the phone number to the hypnotoad?

Hi guys first of all i want to say a very big "Thank You!" for all the work you have done so far. Im in general more the kind of a "silent reader" on most Forums i visit. But i think you can need some type of "positive feedback" or "encouragement" from a guy that is very very gratefull that you take on the task to translate this wonderfull game :)

I played Musumaker a few years ago for the first time an found it quite appealing even without understanding just one word about the story.

To be honest i just clicked random to get the cgis... But with your translation patch and able to understand the plot a little im now total in Love with the game and hoping that you will be able to translate it complete in the future.

Your work changed the way i see the game completely i even fell a little bad about "using" the girls in the past to get just the cgis...^^

Unfortunately these words are the only thing i can give to you because i have no skills in translating, scripting, etc. i hope you can cary on with the project and find some people that are able tu support you with their skills.

I just wanted to let you know that there are people out there that really appreciate your work and are very gratefull about it.

I wish you the best for the future and hope that my moral support helps you a little bit :)

P.S.: Im very sorry for my bad english... :(

I could easily read this VN in VNR but I've been patiently waiting for this project to reach completion since before it was moved here. I'm pleased to find Rauros and tymmur working on this project still, you guy are awesome. Thank you for your hard work and keep at it! Also, MusumakerHD .... just .... OMG!

VNR would somewhat fail for musumaker. All the text in the schedule is handled completely differently than text usually is in a VN and it is unlikely that VNR would hook into it. This mean the messages like willpower down, money up and whatever it says wouldn't be translated. The same goes for the buttons. They are png files, not text. There are other examples of places where VNR would fail too, like the intro. All the text in the middle of the screen is also png based. Last, but not least setting up MT for this one would be lengthy. Every single name would have to be entered to tell what it is a name because MT would treat them as items, like orange, strawberry, tree and so on. I'm sure there is a double meaning/pun to using names with double meaning like that, but I haven't quite figured out what it is.

The text for the schedule is actually written in the exe file. Finding those and inserting translated text was actually quite difficult. Time will tell if this will be a problem in the HD version.

I'm in a weird position right now. I sort of dropped the idea of improving the scripts for now as my goal now is the HD version. However without the HD version or confirmed knowledge of the script syntax, I can't do anything, meaning I'm stuck and not doing anything at all even though I made a long list of stuff I know I have to do. Never before have I been looking forward to the release of a VN like I'm doing right now.

At least the translation progress itself is progressing unaffected by the remake announcement.

Hello, I have been playing around with this game for a while now and have applied your 15% translation patch, played to the end.

I had an issue when I was with Suika when she tried to show me her game on the computer.  The game screen loaded, with start game/end game choice, I clicked on the start game and the game started, all was well....  until...  it would shoot, both single fire and rapid fire laser, move the character all over the screen and the screen moved forward with no problems at all, except there was never any enemies to shoot.  I let it run for at least 5 minutes and still, no enemies.  I had to quit the entire game to desktop, then restart the game at my most recent save and everything was fine, so I tried again to play Suika's game, and the same thing occured...  no enemies at all.  I went back again, started the game at the start game/end game choice and just clicked "end game" and went back to speaking with Suika.  The scene progressed and nothing else occurred other than normal game progression, so I don't know what the issue is here, but when I finally got to December 22nd? (I think that was the date) not knowing the language, I don't know what was being said,  (possible story spoiler here, read at own risk)

Spoiler

but after Miu was speaking to someone (male voice) in the living room, a black screen with a blood splatter, then a few more lines back and forth with Miu and male voice

, screen goes black, error message in Japanese appears and nothing else happens, just remains on that screen with some music playing in the background.

Now, I don't know if the two issues are related, but that is what I have experienced so far. 

On another subject, I would love to be able to lend a hand of some kind with your work on this game as I'm very interested in playing with full translation and such, but don't know what use I could be to you.  I'm computer savy, but not coding savy, although I learn things very quickly and have very good attention to detain.  I also have lots....  LOTS, of free time as I am unemployed/disabled and bored most of the time so I need things to keep me busy and if I can help in some way, I'd love to give it a try.  I know you probably couldn't teach me how to do things, but if I knew what I needed to learn on my own, I could look it up, learn some stuff and then apply that to whatever you may need.  Let me know if that is something you would be interested in.

Other than that, thank you all for everything you have done in this project and I hope you keep up the great work.  Now that I know an HD version is on the horizon, I am even more excited for this game and am anxious for the release/translation/whatnot that will eventually come of this game.  Thanks to you and the whole team for this game!

the_w

edit: spoiler...  sorry

I made two patches for getting stuck in Suika's dialogue.

On 16/2/2016 at 3:01 PM, tymmur said:

Meanwhile I have made a fixed version of the buggy file. Decompress it and move it into musume/scripts/day and overwrite the existing file. I have not even tried to correct typos or anything in the text. It's is purely to avoid getting stuck and to allow the game to move on.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=56495982457051227479

On 5/3/2016 at 1:59 AM, tymmur said:

That's the other file I located to contain the same error. Download the other file  here. Once again unzip and overwrite the file in scripts\day. As before, this is a bugfix, not a translation release. The quality is "as is" because nobody reviewed it.

I have no idea about missing enemies. The patch doesn't touch that part, meaning it could be a bug in the Japanese version. Then again it works for me, which begs the question: why isn't it working for you when it works for other people? (I think RaurosFalls mentioned trying it as well). Are you using Japanese locale? If not, then it might have problems finding the sprites for the enemies. Some graphics require Japanese locale to be read, though I never really investigated which ones. It never seemed important other than "requires Japanese locale".

You might want to think about spoilers in your post. The part with Miu seems to be a spoiler to me.

1 hour ago, kenVBliar said:

On another subject, I would love to be able to lend a hand of some kind with your work on this game as I'm very interested in playing with full translation and such, but don't know what use I could be to you.  I'm computer savy, but not coding savy, although I learn things very quickly and have very good attention to detain.  I also have lots....  LOTS, of free time as I am unemployed/disabled and bored most of the time so I need things to keep me busy and if I can help in some way, I'd love to give it a try.  I know you probably couldn't teach me how to do things, but if I knew what I needed to learn on my own, I could look it up, learn some stuff and then apply that to whatever you may need.  Let me know if that is something you would be interested in.

We can really use more translators

Other than that we could use people skilled in graphics. I found 2 decensored images online, copy pasted them to get 4 in total and they will be in the next patch. We agreed we would like to get all the CGs decensored, but failed to find anybody willing to do the task. The HD remake spoils this as well as the decensored images aren't in HD.

Buttons and stuff needs English text. They do have it now, but again we need to redo it for the HD version.

I think that's it, at least right now. Translation and then graphics once we have the HD version. Maybe the remake will bring other tasks, but right now I can't think of anything else, which will benefit us. I think I already solved all other tasks.

EDIT:

There is one task I wouldn't mind somebody else doing. Musumaker has no concept of words meaning if it can't write an entire word on a line, it splits the word regardless of how silly it looks. It looks ok in the patch because I wrote a script, which inserts newlines to make it look human readable and it works quite nicely.

The problem is that the remake is 1280 pixels wide, not 800 like the script assumes. This mean the script will have to be modified, which isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is that the script requires knowledge of the width (in pixels) of every single character. I failed to look this up, which meant a whole bunch of trial and error. Unless I can reuse the result, I wouldn't mind getting somebody else to make the trial and error testing to pinpoint the width of each character. I sure hope the remake uses the same numbers because the trial and error measuring is quite time consuming. It is worth it though as it does deliver an autogenerated script, which looks nice. I have yet to see it fail.

Thanks for your reply, but I may have sorted out my issues here on my own, and a face palm has occurred...  I forgot I wasn't on Japan region settings, and when I switched over, the scene with Suika's game worked properly and I was able to shoot at some enemies.  I haven't checked the other part that was giving me issues but I'll assume that the region settings was the issue there as well and will run through the game again to make sure.

In regards to the decensoring, I'm not a photo shop wiz, but have been able to play around with it and have some skills.  Is that what you are looking for?

I don't really know much about coding, but am willing to learn if I knew what I needed to learn since there seems to be a million different kinds of coding or whatever, I just don't know where to start or what would be useful.  If you have any tips or suggestions, toss them my way.

thanks

the_w

16 minutes ago, kenVBliar said:

Thanks for your reply, but I may have sorted out my issues here on my own, and a face palm has occurred...  I forgot I wasn't on Japan region settings, and when I switched over, the scene with Suika's game worked properly and I was able to shoot at some enemies.  I haven't checked the other part that was giving me issues but I'll assume that the region settings was the issue there as well and will run through the game again to make sure.

Great. I just learned something, though I did suspect the locate. I would have expected it to make a popup about missing graphic files rather than no enemies though. That's a bit weird.

18 minutes ago, kenVBliar said:

In regards to the decensoring, I'm not a photo shop wiz, but have been able to play around with it and have some skills.  Is that what you are looking for?

Both yes and no. If the result is good enough, then I don't care if it is made in Photoshop or MS paint. I could send you something to decensor once I have extracted it from the HD version if you are interested. Two things can happen: either it's used, or the quality ends up too poor and it isn't used.

This offer goes for everybody btw. If I send images, I will also keep track of who has what to prevent double work.

I have to be honest here. I don't know the drawing difficulty needed to decensor images. All I know is if I like the result when I see it and if it ends up looking like a child's drawing, I might prefer censored. The plan isn't to decensor at any price/quality.

19 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

How guys do you know that Musu HD is great? There is nothing out yet isn't it?

They posted some screenshots.

Spoiler

gamen02.png

Spoiler

gamen.png

Spoiler

NSFW

training

On top of that hey added more contents, like 4 more H scenes. They also use a new engine, which makes the training animation much better (at least that is their description).

Looking at the 2008 script, it looks like they ran out of money/time and suddenly just made quick fixes and released. They released patches, but even fully patched, they left a series of bugs I have since fixed in the patch release. Also training/schedule is horribly unbalanced, particularly between the girls (there is one girl. who is much better than the others and there is a horrible one from a financial point of view). I tried to fix that, but missing contents has made this impossible to fix correctly, meaning I can only make it better, not make it good. It would seem that they added the missing contents. Either they fixed the balance issues or in the unlikely event that they didn't fix game balance, they added enough to allow me to fix it. This is a major improvement and it's not mentioned in their change overview. It's only hinted and only to those knowing what to look for (that is, somebody who read the training code in detail).

So it has much higher resolution(800x600->1280x720), more contents and fixed some serious flaws/game balance issues. Somehow the concept of the remake not being great and much better didn't cross my mind at all.