It's Good To Be Here!

Kayleana

Hello everyone, my name is Kayleana.  I am an English/Creative Writing major (Eng. Education minor) who secretly loves visual novels.  Okay, it's not a huge secret, but in my department they can be quite frowned upon.  ^_^'  I have three cats and a husband.  (Married a year now.)  I am the president of the fencing club at my university. I enjoy video games, reading, and writing.  I hope to someday write stories for video games, but that will probably be a long way away.  Dragon Age is my favorite series, following with The Legend of Zelda.  Next year I plan on writing a young adult novel, so we shall see how that goes in the future. 

If anyone likes the Tamaki Suoh page on Facebook, well, I'm the admin of that page and I run the host club on there.  It is fun, but it can also be a bit challenging.  I hope to make a YouTube video on role-play etiquette soon.  (We get a lot of kids who want to be vampire cat princesses in the Ouran world.)

I used to visit this site all the time, but I was never apart of the forums.  I've been away from VNs for awhile, having to read lots and lots of literature, but here I am again.  If you have any advice for this newbie, that would be fantastic. 

If you have any recommendations, fire away.  I enjoy anything with a great story, no matter the genre.

I am very shy and a bit scatterbrained, so bear with me! 

Edited by Kayleana

I never knew that I wanted to be a vampire cat princess before now, but the idea is growing in my head at a terrifying rate of knots.

The main site doesn't have any downloads on them anymore, and the posting of links to downloads is pretty frowned upon - which may explain the difficulty you're having in finding the old download pages! But anyway, welcome to the forums! Any favourite VNs? :sachi:

Edited by AaronIsCrunchy

all torrents are removed for legal reason (its also kinda a no-no to talk about them on the forums)

Anyway, you should read sharin no kuni.

Hope you enjoy your stay

Thank you so much for letting me know! I am not used to this sort of thing, so I'm sorry for mentioning a taboo! I've edited my post.

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. I cannot think of any VNs that are my favorite at the moment, because it has been several years. I do see Hakuoki sitting below my TV though, and I remember really enjoying the historical aspects of it. I moved on from VNs to choice based video games, so it's difficult not to get those out of my head. I remember playing The Second Reproduction and If My Heart Had Wings. I know I played others, but my memory is so bad. XD

Also, I am not sure how I stumbled upon VNs in the first place. I remember being a little girl and playing those frilly flash games with cliche stories. So maybe that's it haha.

Edited by Kayleana

Welcome to the Fuwa!

If anything, you should boast about reading VNs at university. Most English lit departments are all about taking "low" culture and recontextualizing it as a scholarly pursuit these days. Just tell them you're studying non-linear narrative theory, mention Derrida a few times, and Bob's your uncle. You'll be the rising star of the department. :)

Welcome to the Fuwa!

If anything, you should boast about reading VNs at university. Most English lit departments are all about taking "low" culture and recontextualizing it as a scholarly pursuit these days. Just tell them you're studying non-linear narrative theory, mention Derrida a few times, and Bob's your uncle. You'll be the rising star of the department. :)

Very true!  Even so, many students at my university are berated for writing anything but literary fiction.  It's unfortunate.  One time I attempted writing a story about a relationship between a robot and a human and for an hour straight I was criticized on how unrealistic it was.  "I respect you as a writer," my prof said, "but this is garbage and won't get you anywhere in the literary world."  So I went back to writing what they deemed correct and it has brought me to graduation. (Even though I want to write commercial fiction.)  I miss the fun aspect of VNs and am very happy to be here.  Thank you for the welcomes.