Opinion on Otome Games

Otomegirl24

Okay, I'm sure you've noticed judging by my username that I LOVE Otome Games. So I figured I should make a topic about them and put up a list of questions. Feel free to add your own questions or statements about these games.

What's your view on Otome Games? Do you like or dislike them? If you like them, do you have a particular game you like? If you don't like them, feel free to say why.

What do you like/dislike about the female protagonists in these games?

What kind of guy do you tend to go for in an Otome Game?

What do you look for in an Otome Game?

I wish more of them could have their protagonist voiced.

Also I can't stand the ones that blank out the protagonists' face (i.e. Starry Sky!)

This is embarassing because I actually don't play that many otome-game despite being a girl. I usually play the guy ones.

but I sure as hell hope we can get a few more girls to chit-chat with because i wanted to make otome-ge fan translations more publicized. Most of the people I know are based at http://forum.my-neoromance.com/ or aarinfantasy.com forums

Btw this is one of my regular visiting spots. It's a livestream by the blogger at breadmasterlee.com:

http://www.twitch.tv/nukocafe

I just wish more girls could discover these games because they are AMAZING!

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but i'd like to ask what otome games would you recommend to a male player? I'm hunting for VNs to put on my to-play list and i want to sample from as many genres as possible, so i figure it can't hurt to try an otome game.

I'm glad to see a guy that's open to playing an otome game. If you own a PSP, I would highly recommend playing Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. It's about a young Japanese woman who is searching for her father and happens to have a run into the Shinsengumi, a special police force of the Shogunate period. There's a lot of Japanese history involved and this game focuses a little more on that than the actual romance, but you can choose from at least 6 different love interests; one of them being an antagonist.

If you're familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series, I would also highly recommend playing Persona 3 Portable for the PSP or Persona 3 for the PS2 if you own one. The only difference between the two is that P3P allows you to play as a male OR a female character. If you don't own a PSP, feel free to check out some of these other games at the link I've provided. I hope this helps. ^-^

http://www.otomegames.com/games.shtml

I'm glad to see a guy that's open to playing an otome game. If you own a PSP, I would highly recommend playing Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. It's about a young Japanese woman who is searching for her father and happens to have a run into the Shinsengumi, a special police force of the Shogunate period. There's a lot of Japanese history involved and this game focuses a little more on that than the actual romance, but you can choose from at least 6 different love interests; one of them being an antagonist.

If you're familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series, I would also highly recommend playing Persona 3 Portable for the PSP or Persona 3 for the PS2 if you own one. The only difference between the two is that P3P allows you to play as a male OR a female character. If you don't own a PSP, feel free to check out some of these other games at the link I've provided. I hope this helps. ^-^

http://www.otomegames.com/games.shtml

Actually i've already played p3p as female, SMT is one of my favourite rpg series. Hakuoki looks good, and even better its on PSP so i can play on the move. The link however seems to be mostly dating sims, which i don't play.

Ok, so I don't actually play otome games though I'd probably be interested in trying one out, but...

...they do this too? That's... seriously disappointing.

I think there's an option of being able to see her face in the other games, but I'm not 100% sure. So don't quote me on that. As for suggestion on otome games, there's quite a few english otome games on the internet like Alistair or Planets. There is also a slew of otome games with stat-raising concepts in deviantart. You can find them under the username pacthesis. Below is a link that lists several different freeware and commercial otome games. Some of my favorites include Lucky Rabbit Reflex and The Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook. However, those two games only have demos and you must purchase & download the game in order to play the full version. Hopes this helps with suggestions.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Ok, so I took a look at Lucky Rabbit Reflex's homepage, and saw, from their about page, that the features of the game were:

• Plan your school year!
  • Display culinary prowess!
  • Hit the shops!
  • Excel at club activities!
  • Talk to boys!
  • Make daring life choices!

Seems to me the marketing point of this game is how it's set up to imitate a "normal" lifestyle. Do you think that's a fair assessment? I find it remarkable that this kind of play-style only ever happens in Otome-ge too. Also noticed you mentioned it's one of your favourites - was this one of the things that attracted you to it??

Ok, so I took a look at Lucky Rabbit Reflex's homepage, and saw, from their about page, that the features of the game were:Seems to me the marketing point of this game is how it's set up to imitate a "normal" lifestyle. Do you think that's a fair assessment? I find it remarkable that this kind of play-style only ever happens in Otome-ge too. Also noticed you mentioned it's one of your favourites - was this one of the things that attracted you to it??

What do you mean by fair assessment? :unsure: I probably shouldn't really call it my favorite now that I think about it. I haven't played the full game, so I haven't gotten a chance to experience all of the game's features. But I did enjoy how the game was set up in the demo version; playing the role of a high school student and 'living a normal lifestyle' with the time I'm given. I do enjoy the stat-raising otome games though, so I guess that's one of the factors that attracted me to it.

I am fine with Otome games. It is nice to see a female protagonist. Does anyone know of any Otome games that would be good for males?

Well, like I said earlier, if you own a PSP, check out Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. And maybe give Persona 3 for the PS2 or Persona 3 Portable a look as well if you're familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series. Oh and here's a list of visual novels/otome games you can look through. There's a few in English that are both commercial and freeware, but a lot of them are in Japanese. Feel free to have a look anyway if you're still interested.

http://vndb.org/g542 [Edited 12:37PM]

Well, like I said earlier, if you own a PSP, check out Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. And maybe give Persona 3 for the PS2 or Persona 3 Portable a look as well if you're familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series. Oh and here's a list of visual novels/otome games you can look through. There's a few in English that are both commercial and freeware, but a lot of them are in Japanese. Feel free to have a look anyway if you're still interested.

http://vndb.org/g542 [Edited 12:37PM]

Thank You. Sadly, I traded in my PSP about a year ago. I have been wanting to get an DS XL to play the visual novels that are on it like 999.

What do you mean by fair assessment? :unsure: I probably shouldn't really call it my favorite now that I think about it. I haven't played the full game, so I haven't gotten a chance to experience all of the game's features. But I did enjoy how the game was set up in the demo version; playing the role of a high school student and 'living a normal lifestyle' with the time I'm given. I do enjoy the stat-raising otome games though, so I guess that's one of the factors that attracted me to it.

I adore otome games! They're probably the only VNs I play these days. I've played all the ones on the fuwanovel otome page (though haven't finished haatoful boyfriend yet) and bought Hakuoki, but my PSP died shortly before it's arrival; Starry Sky was probably my favorite. I wish the others in the series were translated.

I'm also into some of the english-developed otome games; I've played Alistair, Planets (looking forward to the sequel), and am currently working through Magical Diary as I find time.

Always good to hear from other otome game fans :). I'll probably pass by and answer the other questions in your post when I have time.

I was one of the few fans who bought the Playstation game Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. While I can't call it a romance game, it was an authentically cute translated RPG. That was around 1999, about the time I realized that I enjoyed girls' comics and animated series.

Around 2005, a few girl x boy(s) games started getting created or released in English. I was all over this trend for a few years, purchasing commercial games (Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, Yo-Jin-Bo, Spirited Heart, Date Warp, and more), and trying to support fans' efforts. My interest has been wavering recently, but I'm still active in fandom.

Right now, I enjoy a wide variety of interactive stories and games. No matter what style/setting/genre, it helps if I find the characters sympathetic, the plot coherent, and the gameplay neither too difficult nor too easy. Attractive visuals are always a plus, but I'm willing to ignore a zero-budget aesthetic if there's quality writing or gameplay.

One final note. I found two surprisingly sympathetic male characters in Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS. While both Wataru Hibiya and Morimura Sakuya are different from me, I can say that I've been similar to them at times, and I considered them to be compelling and identifiable.

I was one of the few fans who bought the Playstation game Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. While I can't call it a romance game, it was an authentically cute translated RPG. That was around 1999, about the time I realized that I enjoyed girls' comics and animated series.

Around 2005, a few girl x boy(s) games started getting created or released in English. I was all over this trend for a few years, purchasing commercial games (Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, Yo-Jin-Bo, Spirited Heart, Date Warp, and more), and trying to support fans' efforts. My interest has been wavering recently, but I'm still active in fandom.

Right now, I enjoy a wide variety of interactive stories and games. No matter what style/setting/genre, it helps if I find the characters sympathetic, the plot coherent, and the gameplay neither too difficult nor too easy. Attractive visuals are always a plus, but I'm willing to ignore a zero-budget aesthetic if there's quality writing or gameplay.

One final note. I found two surprisingly sympathetic male characters in Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS. While both Wataru Hibiya and Morimura Sakuya are different from me, I can say that I've been similar to them at times, and I considered them to be compelling and identifiable.

I've played some of the Harvest Moon games, and I still need to finish Yo-Jin-Bo. It's always good to hear that other people enjoy playing different kinds of interactive stories and games. As for the Tokimeki Memorial Girls Side games, I hope to someday play the 3rd one once it's translated. I've played some of the 2nd one, but never finished it.

Besides videogames like Harvest Moon, I don't believe I've truly played an otome game before somehow. Which is weird, because I've even read a yaoi one.

I think I might just give Hakuoki a try, especially since I'm already quite familliar with the Shinsengumi.

Been meaning to try out a few otome/yaoi games for a while, the genre(otome/yaoi and shoujo-ai/yuri) interests me quite a bit!

So um, yeah. Hope you don't mind, but uh, I would like some recommendations as well.

These are the ones I have my eye on at the moment:

Togainu no Chi

Hakuouki

Hatoful Boyfriend

My only requirement would be a good story, hopefully more action/mystery/supernatural/mild horror oriented than romance.

@ Moekou

Oooh, you're gonna try playing Hakuouki? I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did. I'd love to hear how you feel about the game once you get a chance to play it.

@ eclipsezero

Yeah, a good story is key, otherwise why bother finishing the game if you don't even like the story?