Clannad release imminent - You hyped?

Dergonu

Just finished Tomoyo's Route. More than words, my new avatar will tell you how I appreciate her ;p

Her end was too sudden (and a bit predictable)...but she'so so lovely :kosame: And the trio Tomoyo - Tomoya - Blondie Sunohara was epic hilarious, unforgettable :sachi:

From what I remember from Tomoyo's route, I loved it. Tomoyo's one of my favorite heroines from Clannad, the other two being Kotomi and Kyou.

Just finished Tomoyo's Route. More than words, my new avatar will tell you how I appreciate her ;p

Her end was too sudden (and a bit predictable)...but she'so so lovely :kosame: And the trio Tomoyo - Tomoya - Blondie Sunohara was epic hilarious, unforgettable :sachi:

From what I remember from Tomoyo's route, I loved it. Tomoyo's one of my favorite heroines from Clannad, the other two being Kotomi and Kyou.

I'm pretty impatient to read more about Kotomi and Kyou. However, after finishing Yukine's Route (by the way, I liked it), my next "stop" is Ryou.

I'm pretty impatient to read more about Kotomi and Kyou. However, after finishing Yukine's Route (by the way, I liked it), my next "stop" is Ryou.

I'm gonna play all the routes anyways cause I can't ever leave a visual novel without completing every single route. The only reason I stopped reading Clannad was because I was getting bored with visual novels and decided to take a "little break" which lasted 7 months.

I decided I would buck the trend and post a screenshot of someone else, but then I went to my screenshot folder and saw they were all of Sunohara. Oops. I guess this one technically counts because it's a Tomoya line!

l8K735O.jpg

(of course he does it)

I got through Misae's route and halfway through Tomoyo's route. Misae's route kind of sucked. It was longer than I was expecting what with the flashback, I forgot all about that sequence of events from the anime. The romance between Tomoya and Misae could not have been more underwhelming and cringe-worthy. And then there was no resolution?? wtf. Anyways, I put this on pause so I can play and finish euphoria first. 

I don't know, Sunohara is actually pretty annoying character. Sure, the comedy with him and Tomoya is pretty entertaining and he is pretty vital to the story. But in some routes he really outstays his welcome and comes out as an annoying jerk that just makes things worse most of the time. And then he randomly turns into a good guy when the story needs it, in ways that contradict his previous actions. I'm pretty conflicted how I feel about him. 

Other than that, Clannad has been a pretty good experience, I can totally see why it's so loved. I liked every route so far, some way more than others, but none of them has felt bothersome to read. Few of them dragged for little too long like Kyou&Ryou's and Kotomi's, but that was just minor annoyance. I still have Fuuko, old man and Nagisa + After Story to do.  

Anyone who likes Tomoyo as a character (I do as well) should be appalled and enraged by the ending. Just saying. The whole route is a horrible mess, but it ends with a three-course shit meal*.

*- My choice of words might be influenced by the fact that I'm reading Euphoria at the moment.

Edited by Ariurotl

Wow, so on the route with the twins and just got to the part where to dispel rumors, she is going to use numbnuts in her plan. I kind of didn't like her character then. "Yeah, I'll kiss this guy I don't like, I'll go out with him despite not liking him, merely so that my sisters relationship might be better."

Besides sabotaging her own happiness, what about numbnuts?  He accepts because he's a fool, she assumes, and then he's stuck in a relationship with a girl who basically reviles him, all to further her own agenda with her sister? Numbnuts turned out not to be an idiot luckily.  Still, it made her go from a pretty awesome character to a pretty shitty one.  The WHOLE scene was so cringe inducing. Really not liking this route. It's so forced. "Hey, mah sister likes you, date her, if you say no, get the bad end." Even though you DO NOT know her. You know NOTHING about her, except her name, and that she likes fortune telling. Beyond that, she has no personality.

Just finished Ryou/Kyou's Route. It was more than correct...But,seriously, the drama part was SO long...and a good character like Kyou deserves a crazier route/ending :makina:

Unfortunately, Kyou suffers from "best girl and worst route" syndrome. It's even more common (and arguably even more frustrating) than "best girl and no route" syndrome.

Regarding typos: I don't have data, but my gut feel says Sekai Project is even worse than the other major English publishers about them... I haven't hit the particular problem in Yukine's route mentioned above, but I stopped counting at about half a dozen when I was maybe two hours into the common route my first time through. If I'd been tallying them up, I expect I would be above 30 typos already (mostly grammatical mistakes, especially missing short words, but even a few very rare spelling errors that somehow got past a spellchecker), and I've only finished 4 routes so far. As much as people like to knock Ixrec's work, all the Amaterasu translations I've played so far (Sekien no Inganock, Comyu, and Rewrite) are just way, way higher quality on this front than anything officially released that I've ever read. While I fully understand that proofreading / copy editing is the last, least part of a translation project, I nonetheless wish these guys would find a way to do a better job of it, because it pulls me out of the immersion every damn time.

Just finished Ryou/Kyou's Route. It was more than correct...But,seriously, the drama part was SO long...and a good character like Kyou deserves a crazier route/ending :makina:

Unfortunately, Kyou suffers from "best girl and worst route" syndrome. It's even more common (and arguably even more frustrating) than "best girl and no route" syndrome.

Regarding typos: I don't have data, but my gut feel says Sekai Project is even worse than the other major English publishers about them... I haven't hit the particular problem in Yukine's route mentioned above, but I stopped counting at about half a dozen when I was maybe two hours into the common route my first time through. If I'd been tallying them up, I expect I would be above 30 typos already (mostly grammatical mistakes, especially missing short words, but even a few very rare spelling errors that somehow got past a spellchecker), and I've only finished 4 routes so far. As much as people like to knock Ixrec's work, all the Amaterasu translations I've played so far (Sekien no Inganock, Comyu, and Rewrite) are just way, way higher quality on this front than anything officially released that I've ever read. While I fully understand that proofreading / copy editing is the last, least part of a translation project, I nonetheless wish these guys would find a way to do a better job of it, because it pulls me out of the immersion every damn time.

Would you recommend the fan TL over the Sekai one or should I get Sekai's version?

Would you recommend the fan TL over the Sekai one or should I get Sekai's version?

I would definitely recommend the Sekai one over the fan TL. The fan TL was really bad, the further you got the worse it would get, not to mention various very annoying glitches that popped up as well. 

On that note, I really hope Sekai project introduces a patch to fix the current text errors. I'd like to read an English version of Clannad that isn't full of text errors. 

I would definitely recommend the Sekai one over the fan TL. The fan TL was really bad, the further you got the worse it would get, not to mention various very annoying glitches that popped up as well. 

On that note, I really hope Sekai project introduces a patch to fix the current text errors. I'd like to read an English version of Clannad that isn't full of text errors. 

OK. Thanks for that. I didn't want to buy Clannad only to figure out the fan TL is better.

OK. Thanks for that. I didn't want to buy Clannad only to figure out the fan TL is better.

The guy is saying the opposite that the bad translation is worse not better and the new one has some text errors.

So I got the Kyou / Ryou bad end first.  I next used a walkthrough to get the Ryou end...but it ended within 5 minutes. What the hell? That's a SHORT ROUTE. I've heard about the after-story, does that continue the routes later on? Because if so, I am let down by Clannad. It was funny with your friend, the romantic moments were so-so. I know this is only one route and that Ryous isn't one you get an orb of light from, but boy that was pathetic.   What do you know about Ryou? You know she likes fortune telling...and you know her last name. Oh she also likes Tanazite. That's it. YOu know nothing more about her.  Your chemistry is even pathetically weak. I mean every route can't be awesome, but what a let down regardless.

She was cute though. Going to do Kyous now, but there was nothing sad nor heart-rending in Ryous route.  The dead end with picking neither of them was abit rough, but it was far to easy to get. Basically if you don't completely ignore your sense of morality, you can't get with either girl. I don't like that.

Update on Steam spy:

http://steamspy.com/app/324160

Owners: 7,749 ± 2,140

That means + or -, so there could be 9000 owners or 5000 owners, ect.

The price, along with lack of advertising didn't help. But still, 5000+ Copies sold @ 42 to 50$ each...compared to most VNs selling for 15-20$ on Steam...they made a pretty penny. 

Really curious as to how Muv Luv will sell. Considering for 60$, you'll get ALL three games, I believe, which will lead to like 150 hours of story or something...better value than Clannad. It's all about advertising though! IF they hype it up with Steam advertisements, showing off stuff on the front page ect, it could definitely sell like 30,000+ Copies.  It has something for everyone, unlike Clannad. You got Muv Luv Extra, which covers your dating sim Clannad style, then you got Unlimited which is kind of goofy anime mech stuff, then you got Alternative which is dark PTSD, Fate/Stay Night shit.  It covers all the bases, so it'll be effective at capturing many audiences.

Edited by Mkilbride