Clannad release imminent - You hyped?

Dergonu

It's shocking the hell out of me. I didn't think people would be willing to spend so much on a VN...

It might not be quite as shocking, it depends on the circumstances that we may or may not have all of at the moment. IE - what else was released today as competition, how much of that is people who already like Clannad buying into the updated copy (kind of like buying an Anniversary edition of a DVD, for example), etc. Etc. There's definitely key data to consider that probably plays a factor into the initial sales. Nevertheless, the initial sales jump is much higher than I would have thought.

I think you are fooled by the high position on the best seller list. CS:GO, GTA 5 are both games which was released years ago. I don't think they sell that many each day. One thousand copies of Clannad or more was sold yesterday. Possibly more. But I would't jump on the spot at the moment. The good thing is probably that we used Kickstarter here. They don't lose anything. Let's say they sold 1500 copies yesterday. That's 60k Euro gross profit. I don't think they made that huge of a success yesterday. But well here in Sweden we got payday tomorrow on the 25th. Perhaps we could see more next weekend if the game is still remembered by the Steam community. 

But nonetheless it is good to see the game on Steam. I am also waiting for my physical edition.

Undertale is selling around 10-15k copies daily right now, and it's below Clannad. Steam ranks games based on revenue, not total copies sold. This means Clannad's price point being over 4x as much would still mean it sold at least a few thousand copies... probably. It's hard to say for sure. Anyways, we aren't thinking this is some major blockbuster success, but putting this into context with the VN industry is necessary, and for a VN this is really quite big. You never see VNs get this kind of ranking, the only reason people are reacting is because it's unprecedented.

Well, it did happen once before. With Nekopara I believe, lol.

I think you are fooled by the high position on the best seller list. CS:GO, GTA 5 are both games which was released years ago. I don't think they sell that many each day. One thousand copies of Clannad or more was sold yesterday. Possibly more. But I would't jump on the spot at the moment. The good thing is probably that we used Kickstarter here. They don't lose anything. Let's say they sold 1500 copies yesterday. That's 60k Euro gross profit. I don't think they made that huge of a success yesterday. But well here in Sweden we got payday tomorrow on the 25th. Perhaps we could see more next weekend if the game is still remembered by the Steam community. 

But nonetheless it is good to see the game on Steam. I am also waiting for my physical edition.

Top sellers mean the game there are selling more than what most games on steam are selling right now. That means games like gta and black ops are selling more copies than new games for now. So I wouldn't say even though they came a long time ago they are not selling well. If Clannad reached almost the top in best sellers I wouldn't say the amount of copies they are currently now selling are just a few.

I think the Steam top sellers are ranked similarly to how fuwanovel tags a forum thread as "HOT". The Hot threads get tagged if it gets 10+ replies within an hour and it loses its hot status once people slow down in the posts.

In Steam, if it's selling several copies within a few hours, then it is placed on the top seller and slowly loses its ranking as time goes on without anyone buying it. Counter Strike and CoD are there all the time for the past few months because there's at least several dozen people buying it every single day to maintain that ranking thus they aren't falling off the charts. With Clannad, give it a couple weeks when the hype has died down and it won't be there anymore. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Ahh dear this game's choice and route system is confusing the hell out of me xD

I'm using the walkthrough from this site, and I have a question. Is there romantic routes for more than one girl, or is one of them the only romantic interest? I was looking over the guide and saw an old guy and a bunch of dudes in there so I doubt they are all romantic routes. Kinda confuses me. Please, minimal spoilers. Basically just wondering if there is more than one potential romantic route.

Edited by Dergonu
Derp

i have a small question, how much time passed since clannad was picked up until it was translated? i ask this so i maybe can get an idea of how long the lb translation will take, since this is a official translation I am sort of expecting it to go somewhat faster and I think/hope it will not be dropped, please tell me if my thoughts are wrong and crush my hopes if necessary ^^

Around 10.5 months between the end of the kickstarter and the release of the game.

However, keep in mind a few things. There were both multiple translators and multiple editors on the Clannad translation, which is unusual for professional translations. Little Busters was also licensed by a different company. LB also has a mostly complete script they'll be basing their release off of. They are very different kinds of projects and we can't really draw any conclusions on how long LB will take to release based on Clannad's production.

I'd say Clannad selling "Well" is an over-statement.

According to SteamSpy, including the Kickstarter backers(1500)

http://steamspy.com/app/324160

http://steamcharts.com/app/324160

Only a few hundred sold. Granted, @ 40 to 50$, that is why, for a few hours it was at the best selling list, as that's how Steam works. For a 11 year old game released at such a high price, it certainly isn't going to sell tens of thousands of copies.

Watching the comparison videos though, the fan translation looks better. Oh well.

Edited by Mkilbride

I'd say Clannad selling "Well" is an over-statement.

According to SteamSpy, including the Kickstarter backers(1500)

http://steamspy.com/app/324160

http://steamcharts.com/app/324160

Only a few hundred sold. Granted, @ 40 to 50$, that is why, for a few hours it was at the best selling list, as that's how Steam works. For a 11 year old game released at such a high price, it certainly isn't going to sell tens of thousands of copies.

Watching the comparison videos though, the fan translation looks better. Oh well.

Really? It's selling that badly? I guess when people on steam think VNs, they think about the Sakura games and never give it a chance which is unfortunate.

Oh I know it's early. It just got updated to around 3000 owners, so if excluse the KS backers, it's around 1500. I expect maybe 4000 copies sold. Which isn't bad for a 11 year old gaming selling at such a high price.

The argument that the physical copy sold for 80$~ isn't valid.  The reason it sold for that or higher is limited availability, before Clannad had digital distribution.  It's no longer "limited". It's why so many older VNs are expensive. I hate people defending the 50$ price tag. Even when the game originally released, it was half that, but because of a limited run, it became rare and price shot up. 11 years later with the original art assets and a QC'ed fan translation  = 50$? People can't accept that, you see. Look at Black Mesa. 20$  - A nearly full remake of HL1, excluding Xen, which will come maybe sometime before 2030. But the price is 20$, for a full on remake of a 15 hour game.  I know Clannad had 80 hours of story or so, but the problem people have is this is a 11 year old game with minor tweaks, selling for double it's original price, even adjusting for inflation. 

To me, they should've done a 14.99 Voiceless version and a 24.99 Voiced version.  They want VNs to break into the West, right? But the problem is, no matter how many times you state "Clannad has 80+ hours of story", VS some 8-10 hour 60$ FPS, it doesn't change the fact that those FPS usually have MP and you can have dozens of hours of fun in that too.  It's also recent, so the price usually makes sense.

I mean just look at the other games available right now, for 50/42$ or cheaper. If you're not familiar with VNs, you look at it and go "Huh, 50$ for a book?"  Because I can go go get a 30-40 hour novel for 9-12$.

Oh I know it's early. It just got updated to around 3000 owners, so if excluse the KS backers, it's around 1500. I expect maybe 4000 copies sold. Which isn't bad for a 11 year old gaming selling at such a high price.

The argument that the physical copy sold for 80$~ isn't valid.  The reason it sold for that or higher is limited availability, before Clannad had digital distribution.  It's no longer "limited". It's why so many older VNs are expensive. I hate people defending the 50$ price tag. Even when the game originally released, it was half that, but because of a limited run, it became rare and price shot up. 11 years later with the original art assets and a QC'ed fan translation  = 50$? People can't accept that, you see. Look at Black Mesa. 20$  - A nearly full remake of HL1, excluding Xen, which will come maybe sometime before 2030. But the price is 20$, for a full on remake of a 15 hour game.  I know Clannad had 80 hours of story or so, but the problem people have is this is a 11 year old game with minor tweaks, selling for double it's original price, even adjusting for inflation. 

To me, they should've done a 14.99 Voiceless version and a 24.99 Voiced version.  They want VNs to break into the West, right? But the problem is, no matter how many times you state "Clannad has 80+ hours of story", VS some 8-10 hour 60$ FPS, it doesn't change the fact that those FPS usually have MP and you can have dozens of hours of fun in that too.  It's also recent, so the price usually makes sense.

I mean just look at the other games available right now, for 50/42$ or cheaper. If you're not familiar with VNs, you look at it and go "Huh, 50$ for a book?"  Because I can go go get a 30-40 hour novel for 9-12$.

I did some math and count approximately how much money they made after just selling 3000 copies and that would be around 1260000 $ more or less. 

Even when the game originally released, it was half that, but because of a limited run, it became rare and price shot up. 11 years later with the original art assets and a QC'ed fan translation  = 50$?

No, when Clannad was originally released it had a list price of 7500 yen (~61$), and today you can get a brand new copy of the first press limited edition for exactly 7836 yen (~64$) on Amazon. And this is a 640x480 unvoiced version, what you are getting here is a fully voiced version with 1280x960 art, so it's very far from "original art assets". What you said there is as wrong as it gets.

Complaining about 50$ price tag is perfectly reasonable, you really don't have to make up false "arguments".