Clannad release imminent - You hyped?

Dergonu

Ah, I see :(. Oh, well. I am going on a trip starting from today anyway so I won't be able to read it :D. By the way, how come emoticons no longer appear unless I click the smiley icons specifically? It's stressing me out (>o<)~ #relax

You could always privateer (ha, love it) a copy with an English fan translation. The Engrish alone adds humor.

The length of this VN is overblown, anyways. There's a lot of misinformation swirling around (70-100 hours? lol, no). You can probably churn through the after story in an evening.

I think total, the VN took me 45ish hours. Still stupidly long, but the people saying 100 are trying to justify the price. 

The length of this VN is overblown, anyways. There's a lot of misinformation swirling around (70-100 hours? lol, no). It's shorter overall than other popular long VNs like Grisaia and even Rewrite. You can probably churn through the after story in an evening.

It's a 50+ hour vn. If you can finish Clannad in 24 hours without skipping, you must be the fastest reader in the entire universe. 

It's an intermediate/advanced read, not a beginner read when it's that long.

I know some people who claim it's shorter than that but this is how much it took me not pressing CTRL once except for the scenes I've already seen. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Well I was saying just the after story, for the purposes of his review. I'm aware the entire work is quite long, although still not as long as many people have been saying.

Some of us here only have English as a secondary language so it's excusable if people read slower than others. But objectively, Clannad as a whole requires a lot of time and patience to read because it's a bit slow in the beginning.

For people complaining about backing the physical edition and not getting a Steam key: you backed for $40 and picked the reward tier that very specifically said you got only a physical edition. There was also a $40 tier where you got a digital copy, which you could have opted for. After you explicitly made a choice between those, and then chose the physical edition, to complain is to be extremely disingenuous. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/clannad-official-english-release/description has all the tiers and the rewards. You made the call yourself.

The majority of VN fans interested in Clannad have already read it with the previous, shitty TL years ago, and the most dedicated ones backed in on KS. Not many of them will buy it, not for this price at least.

You have effectively zero basis for any of these claims. You need to realize that, if someone is posting on fuwanovel or /r/visualnovels (and thus perhaps espousing one of the opinions on which you based your claims), they're in a pretty extreme group of fans, and very unlikely to be representative of the actual audience. Time and data will tell whether people actually buy this release; you may very well be right about that last claim. But I'm pretty sure you're dead wrong about the first one. There are orders of magnitude more English-speaking fans of the Clannad anime than there are visual novel players willing to go to the effort and risk of pirating or importing just to play a shitty fan translation. Those fans could easily come out of the woodwork and buy this game. That said, I still have to admit that the price is likely a bit steep for that to happen, but I'm definitely not able to dismiss the possibility out of hand.

I'm not complaining that I didn't get a steam key after backing a physical edition which had no mention of a steam key, I'm complaining that they didn't add steam keys to the physical release in the first place which is a bit different to how most games handle having both a physical and steam release.

I don't understand. There were options (which cost more money, naturally) to get both a physical and digital copy in the Kickstarter / BackerKit. You could explicitly add one or the other. And it wasn't that there was no mention of a digital release in the physical release choice. That reward tier actually specifically said that it did not include the digital release.

nOOODns.jpg

Holy Shit,it's selling more than a GTA,a Call of Duty and Counter-Strike game at the moment...Who could have ever dreamed this could happen until recently?I mean,I knew it would sell well on Steam thanks to the anime's popularity (remember that the Clannad is amongst the highest rated anime in major sites like ANN and MAL ever since its debut in 2008.),but THAT far?Even in Japan a VN is niche,but now its selling higher than juggernaut games likes GTA and CoD?Granted,that doesn't mean Clannad is selling more copies than GTA V or CoD,but still...

I don't understand. There were options (which cost more money, naturally) to get both a physical and digital copy in the Kickstarter / BackerKit. You could explicitly add one or the other. And it wasn't that there was no mention of a digital release in the physical release choice. That reward tier actually specifically said that it did not include the digital release.

To be fair, while you're right, it's still a pretty crappy way of doing business. Considering how many DVD and Blu-Ray discs come with included digital copies these days, it's kind of a nod to those who still value a physical product over just a digital download. The earliest tier I see that is for pledging $125 which seems pretty ridiculous and I can't even tell if that's real, because all the tiers after it don't include physical copies, either.

Holy Shit,it's selling more than a GTA,a Call of Duty and Counter-Strike game at the moment...Who could have ever dreamed this could happen until recently?I mean,I knew it would sell well on Steam thanks to the anime's popularity (remember that the Clannad is amongst the highest rated anime in major sites like ANN and MAL ever since its debut in 2008.),but THAT far?Even in Japan a VN is niche,but now its selling higher than juggernaut games likes GTA and CoD?Granted,that doesn't mean Clannad is selling more copies than GTA V or CoD,but still...

GTA and Counterstrike have both been out for quite a while and Call of Duty isn't very popular among PC players in the first place.

Holy Shit,it's selling more than a GTA,a Call of Duty and Counter-Strike game at the moment...Who could have ever dreamed this could happen until recently?

It seems to be doing really well. Also, ArchonofFail put together a 5 minute comparison video on Reddit (comparing the official and fan translations side by side,) long story short the official translation reads far better. It seems to be a greatly improved reading experience. Nice work by the folk at Sekai.

Edited by Rooke