Clannad release imminent - You hyped?

Dergonu

this is not really meant to appeal to average gamers though... 

If you dont like the genre then its not suprising that you dont want to buy the game. 

This is meant to appeal to western VN fans, new or old. 

But that's precisely the problem with Japanese visual novels in the West: the market is super niche.

If you can't appeal to a wider audience, you're bound to not sell very well, and this could potentially make developers like Key back off from localizations.

well, if they try too hard to appeal to people who doesnt really enjoy reading In general, and who prefer fast gameplay etc. It will have a negative effect on the people VNs are  originally supposed to appeal to. 

You simply cant please everyone. 

That's not the issue here or what I'm trying to argue. I'm saying that if you want people who don't know visual novels at all to experience them, and possibly become visual novel fans themselves and help the market grow, price points this will mostly have adverse effects.

now that is probably true, but that really isnt their intention as of right now I would think. 

For people just getting into VNs, a long and time consuming project like Clannad probably isnt the best place to start. 

My friend just got into VNs, and he is having trouble getting through if my heart had wings, which is in the same genre, but significantly shorter.

but you raise a good point there. There should be more cheap options available, though Clannad probably isnt the VN to achieve that with, considering its length and hefty translation time. 

Sorry if my comments seem kinda scrambled, I'm on 3G net on my Iphone atm. 

Most games on steam usually have a fair price and if you aren't still too convinced with the price you can still wait for a big sale or weekly sale where vn and other games are sold by half the normal price. Except for princess evangile who haven't been on a sale for very long time...

If you dont like the genre then its not suprising that you dont want to buy the game. 

But that's precisely the problem with Japanese visual novels in the West: the market is super niche.

If you can't appeal to a wider audience, you're bound to not sell very well, and this could potentially make developers like Key back off from localizations if they can't turn in a good profit margin.

The problem with the price point being this high is that it'll heavily restrict the amount of people who will actually want to buy it to simply anime/visual novel fans, and probably only the hardcore ones that are willing to pay $50 for it knowing it's going to be that good.

The Western market expects a game's price point to be related to the amount, or at least quality, of gameplay, not just the story itself, so you'll find it very hard to convince people to pay $50 for literally no gameplay over here.
Japan understands the value of things like good art and good voice acting and the target audience over there is way bigger, that's why price points like this are something much more acceptable there, but over here that type of stuff won't fly very well, that's just the reality of it.

I'd love it if people bought Clannad en masse, but I'm very skeptical it will happen like this.

Exactly. I love visual novels, don't get me wrong, but the market for them here in America is a word probably even lower than niche (need a thesaurus here). You can get away with selling Fallout 4 at $50-$60 because of the promise of tons of gameplay and of potential downloadable content, etc. Due to a visual novel's inherent lack of gameplay, you're going to have a hard time selling a visual novel at a premium price to anyone except those who are already interested. And with Clannad already being out over a decade with a fan translation readily available, I can see why many would be turned off at a $50 price tag.

The concern here is growing the market. At $50 a pop, I can't see Clannad selling overly well, and that's a problem because it'll turn off Japanese marketers from attempting to create this sort of thing for Western audiences. To hook someone in on something they're not familiar with, you need to be as inviting as possible. A $20 price tag has a better chance of getting the non-VN reader to say, "Well, it does seem kinda cool. $20 isn't that much, I can at least give it a try." A low sales amount likely discourages Japanese companies from localizing or concurrent development - can't win, why try?

No, this should be meant to appeal to much wider audience. The majority of VN fans interested in Clannad have already read it with the previous, shitty TL years ago, and the most dedicated ones backed in on KS. Not many of them will buy it, not for this price at least.

Western release of a huge, popular, all-ages VNs is simply perfect for expanding the VN fanbase on the West. That's what Sekai Project tries to do all the time, by censoring stuff and throwing it on Steam (actually, I'd say that's their only goal, since they aren't trying to appeal to the core VN-fans all that much...). Such price certainly won't help - people will choose buy 2 Sakura titles (or a shitty AAA game) instead of Clannad, regardless of an absolutely indescribable difference in quality.

50$ for a VN definitely could be a very fair price. Like I said, I consider most of the titles sold on the West to be very cheap, and I'm always defending those prices when people are complaining.
However... In this case, a digital copy of a very old VN where some of the localization costs were already covered with >500 000$ from KS, is actually more expensive than in Japan (comparing it to either PC version or the PS3 one with better resolution). No matter how I look at this, something is seriously wrong here.

No, this should be meant to appeal to much wider audience. The majority of VN fans interested in Clannad have already read it with the previous, shitty TL years ago, and the most dedicated ones backed in on KS. Not many of them will buy it, not for this price at least.

Western release of a huge, popular, all-ages VNs is simply perfect for expanding the VN fanbase on the West. That's what Sekai Project tries to do all the time, by censoring stuff and throwing it on Steam (actually, I'd say that's their only goal, since they aren't trying to appeal to the core VN-fans all that much...). Such price certainly won't help - people will choose buy 2 Sakura titles (or a shitty AAA game) instead of Clannad, regardless of an absolutely indescribable difference in quality.

50$ for a VN definitely could be a very fair price. Like I said, I consider most of the titles sold on the West to be very cheap, and I'm always defending those prices when people are complaining.
However... In this case, a digital copy of a very old VN where some of the localization costs were already covered with >500 000$ from KS, is actually more expensive than in Japan (comparing it to either PC version or the PS3 one with better resolution). No matter how I look at this, something is seriously wrong here.

Alright fair enough, that does make a lot of sense.

Still though, I believe that the length of the game will be quite tough for a beginner to get into, and the price really wont change that fact at all. Yes, its likely that they would be more inclined to buy it, but they probably still wont finish it and that might even spur more negativety around the game, "too long, too boring!" etc.

When it comes to spreading visual novels to new readers who previously havent touched a VN before, there are a lot of different titles that should be considered for that, that are signifigantly shorter than Clannad.

Also, honestly, I don't think the price is what really would drive people away from a title. If you have heard just how amazing a visual novel is and you really want to get into it, the price really shouldn't stop you. Like, if we consider new titles being released for newer consoles, they usually go for above 50$. Yes, visual novels are less of a game and more of a book, and so its not quite fair to compare it to something like battlefront III, but still, people are used to paying MORE for their titles, so it so it shouldnt be that big of a shock for them to be honest.

While Clannad may or may not be the best way to introduce non-VN readers to visual novels (it has both its merits and demerits) the main thing you have to keep in mind is this -  there's no point in localizing a Japanese visual novel to English if you aren't trying to break into the English speaking market. So the reality is a project like this is meant to win over people to the format. With that in mind, you have to think about the market you're attempting to break into. You can hype up the quality of writing and art all you want, but when you're introducing something new, the biggest factor in making the decision to try or let it fly is usually price versus what you're getting.

I would say Clannad isn't beginner friendly either and would not recommend it to anyone who only has read 5 or less visual novels. It is very long, you will lose a lot of sleep (or maybe you won't because you'll be bored to death on some parts and be sleeping in front of your computer anyway), and it's a nakige, which a vn just suddenly bombards you with drama and tragedy on the final half of the story... and not to be taken lightly by the fainthearted fools. I would recommend the spin off with Tomoyo though. :illya: 

Exclusive solidbatman review of Clannad

Doesn't fucking work/10 

Seriously, I got a pre-release copy about a week ago, and still have no fix from SP or VA. While the copy was free, it still is annoying to really want to review this game's definitive release, but only be able to review the old shitty Fan TL.

Edited by solidbatman

Hello :). I backed the physical reward tier for $40 (early bird I think). Did anyone else back the same or a higher amount? I wanted to see if the physical copy backers should be expecting a Steam key as well. Can't seem to find any emails with the key and I am unable to login to my Backerkit account for some reason (>-<).

Hello :). I backed the physical reward tier for $40 (early bird I think). Did anyone else back the same or a higher amount? I wanted to see if the physical copy backers should be expecting a Steam key as well. Can't seem to find any emails with the key and I am unable to login to my Backerkit account for some reason (>-<).

I'm pretty sure we have to wait for the physical copy to arrive :<

I'm pretty sure we have to wait for the physical copy to arrive :<

VA has your money already. You'll get em in a year or two ;)

They seriously don't give steam keys for physical backers? I never noticed that before. I don't know if SP was just unaware of this, but it is common practice in video game kickstarters to give a steam key to physical backers. Now that you've backed them for more money, you have to wait two or three extra months to be able to play the game? lmao.

Ah, I see :(. Oh, well. I am going on a trip starting from today anyway so I won't be able to read it :D. By the way, how come emoticons no longer appear unless I click the smiley icons specifically? It's stressing me out (>o<)~ #relax

Just put a space after them so that the stupid new software realizes you're using an emote :P 

Im sorry SP but mangagamer releases euphoria in 4 days and I just couldnt bear to see myself not preordering that one and some japanese doujin VNs.

(also grisaia made me wanna stay away from everything that resembles the school setting for a long long time)

Made me look up this game... The summary had me rather ... Uhh, weirded out. Looked up some CG.

Cant... unsee...

They seriously don't give steam keys for physical backers? I never noticed that before. I don't know if SP was just unaware of this, but it is common practice in video game kickstarters to give a steam key to physical backers. Now that you've backed them for more money, you have to wait two or three extra months to be able to play the game? lmao.

Yeah its pretty terrible. I backed the Grisaia physicals as well and the physical version of the first VN still hasn't been sent out, despite the fact that the steam version released back in June. I'll never back another physical release from Sekai Project ever again, the wait is ridiculous considering the fact that I paid extra for a physical copy. 

Im sorry SP but mangagamer releases euphoria in 4 days and I just couldnt bear to see myself not preordering that one and some japanese doujin VNs.

(also grisaia made me wanna stay away from everything that resembles the school setting for a long long time)

I'm sorry SP, but Clock Up releases Maggot Baits in 4 days, and I just couldn't bear to see myself not preordering that one (and there's Narcissu KS, too).

(Also, KonoSora makes me wanna stay away from everything that resembles a school setting for a long, long time.) :P
Though I wouldn't have bought Steam-infested stuff anyway.

Well, at least the price is now reasonable, with that discount.

Made me look up this game... The summary had me rather ... Uhh, weirded out. Looked up some CG.

Cant... unsee...

The theme of Euphoria is teenagers + teacher trapped in a insane underground eperimental facility or something and they have to survive lots of sexual grotesque games unless they want to get electrocuted by a device installed by their neck. :(

I'm sorry SP, but Clock Up releases Maggot Baits in 4 days, and I just couldn't bear to see myself not preordering that one (and there's Narcissu KS, too).

(Also, KonoSora makes me wanna stay away from everything that resembles a school setting for a long, long time.) :P
Though I wouldn't have bought Steam-infested stuff anyway.

Well, at least the price is now reasonable, with that discount.

really, I try to not mention it just so I can skip the hype convulsions I get when its mentioned.

oh well time to listen to the OP for the 354354352342354353534543th time