Finding time in life

AaronIsCrunchy

Hey Fuwans, recently I've had even less time to play VNs than I'd like to have done, and it's bothering me. Through a mixture of work, reading/essay writing/lectures and trying to keep in contact with the outside world I've barely played anything in a month. I read about 30 minutes of Sekien no Inganock, however, and really enjoyed it. Would you say, even though I ultimately have greater priorities, it's a good idea to earmark, say, 30 mins to an hour a day for VN reading?

There are things that feel urgent but actually aren't important in the long run. There likely is time you're spending each day doing stuff you actually don't care about. For me it's browsing reddit and facebook (when I'm unmotivated) or playing random games. You can make an effort to pull time from there.

If after that you still have a list of things that are kinda important to you, it's up to you to decide which ones are more important to you. If VN's are your "me time" then by all means take some.

You could also try and look for ways to keep doing both activities, but trying to get the most out of the time.

Edited by Chronopolis

Is it a good idea to set aside a set amount of time per day for reading VNs? That's all up to you. Ultimately, this silly hobby of ours should be one of the least important things in our lives. If you can't find the time to read VNs, then that's okay. That doesn't usually last forever, you'll get that time eventually and these VNs will still be here waiting for you. Just make sure you don't stress yourself out, find some time to unwind every now and again, whether that's with VNs or with anything else. How often and for how long you do this is up to you, you have to find that balance yourself. 

Having 'me time' is important! Putting aside some time to do what you enjoy is a really necessary thing, I think, or what's the point to life? :D If we're just working away our days, then it seems a bit pointless. You got to have some and relax, or you'll just burn out.

30 minutes seems more than fair!

Thanks everyone :)

I will say that I enjoy living a somewhat regimented (or at least somewhat timetabled) lifestyle otherwise I find myself getting quickly quite miserable, but after reading the comments here I'll go with the idea that specifically earmarking a leisure activity is a bad idea, or at least, one that should be approached with some caution. Allocating time where I can do something might be a better option, and if reading VNs falls in to that, then so be it. Thanks again guys, appreciate the food for thought  :sachi:

Ultimately, this silly hobby of ours should be one of the least important things in our lives.

To you it might be just a silly hobby for others it might be a reason for living in a first place. You can agree or disagree  with things people put their priorities in their lives but there is no reason to be rude about it, you might not see what you said as rude but think about it this way. If businessman come to family man and called his love for his family silly and said it shouldn't be important to him don't you think that would be rude of him? Just because you might not be able to see greatness of otakuism doesn't mean others can't.

This is also my answer to an OP's question, you should decade what is really important in your life and what is worth finding a time for it. Just remember everything that Otakuism is and that should be enough to let you decide.

Yup, the sacrifices you have to make sometimes are nasty. In my spare time I have to choose between reading a certain VN that I need to read (HAH!!), watching the couple of anime I picked up, or playing Atelier Ayesha Plus.

I think the distribution of that spare time comes out to 30% anime, 60% games, 10% VNs currently

Earlier this Spring was like 70% anime, 10% games, 20% VNs 

Last year 5% anime, 5% games, 90% VNs

I will one day reach true balance and have 33.3% anime, 33.3% games, and 33.4% VNs.

~~

Setting aside 1 hour for VNs a day sounds fine, if you can swing it. 30 minutes would be so little, you read a couple of scenes and you're done for the day :P

Yup, the sacrifices you have to make sometimes are nasty. In my spare time I have to choose between reading a certain VN that I need to read (HAH!!), watching the couple of anime I picked up, or playing Atelier Ayesha Plus.

I think the distribution of that spare time comes out to 30% anime, 60% games, 10% VNs currently

Earlier this Spring was like 70% anime, 10% games, 20% VNs 

Last year 5% anime, 5% games, 90% VNs

I will one day reach true balance and have 33% anime, 33% games, and 33% VNs.

~~

Setting aside 1 hour for VNs a day sounds fine, 30 minutes would be so little, you read a couple of scenes and you're done for the day :P

You are forgetting time spend here on Fuwa :P .

But Yea I am more or less the same dividing my time between Anime, VNs, JRPGs, Hanging on the net and Other basics things (Eat,sleep etc.) and recently I got a bit of Manga in schedule too. And even true those are all the things I do I still newer have enough time.

I tend to dedicate 30-60 mins before I go to bed for vn reading and some random fuwa'ing. Nice way to unwind and relax before going to sleep for me. I found it a lot more better than playing action games or whatever that easily can drag me into a spiral of " I can sleep later orz ".

It's really soothing for the soul for me. As corny as it sounds.

Edited by Bolverk

• 5 weeks later...

I quite often go for months without reading anything at all, then read a long VN in like 2 weeks. I use to feel bad about it at first, but It's pretty much how I am with VNs. Even if the VN is "good", if I'm not in the right mood for it I simply won't read it. At some point I almost felt like I had quite,  and then I discovered monster girl quest and my VN life was saved :wafuu: