Why is Baldr Sky Dive not translated?

jibzoiderz

Once in a while someone create a topic like this, just to remind the others that Baldr isn't translated...

Anyway, amount of image editing+pure translation for this title(s) is huge... I said it once, I'll say it twice: "Everyday I cry inside cause Baldr is not translated" I hope that we'll at least have announcement of translation before 2018~~

So, please don't creaty more topics like this... it hurts bro.

Because that you're not only translating a VN, you're translating a game with pictures, different gameplay systems and shit.

Im almost 100% sure that this will not be translated unless its getting localized by a company.

Also, im pretty sure I have heard that Giga has no intention of bringing their games overseas.

But hey, alicesoft even had their website blocked to the outside world like half a year ago or something, but new we're getting their games.

Edited by Kawasumi

Baldr Sky Dive is one of the top VNs at VNDB. How come no ones translating it.  :wafuu:

• not confident enough to meet everyone´s expectations btw told by an editor to fuck off
• not willing to invest that much time needed for a huge undertaking like this one
• issues concerning the assembly of other like-minded people when planning to form a team
• getting screwed by technical shenanigans
• still shocked after realizing that baldr force is even better
• influenced by trump that foreign stuff is meant to be read by foreigners only
• its c&d baby!
• comes to hate the community who´s taking everything for granted
believes some things need to stay untranslated to keep people motivated in learning japanese

Because there are tons of great untranslated VNs and nowhere near enough fan-translators to do them all, Balrd is just one of them.

True in Balrd case chances might actually be somewhat better then for other VNs as amaterasu translations did start working on it true it's currently on staled.

All capable translators retired from fan scene (work as freelancers for publishers), so no one to do MEGABYTES of text and images, seems that's the only cause of this.

Because there are tons of great untranslated VNs and nowhere near enough fan-translators to do them all, Balrd is just one of them.

True in Balrd case chances might actually be somewhat better then for other VNs as amaterasu translations did start working on it true it's currently on staled.

Tons of great untranslated novels? Not listed in first top 100 on vndb? 

One of the things about VNDB is that the rating you sort by is a bayesian average used to attempt to smooth out statistical anomalies. What this means is that when there are only few votes for a game, highly rated games will have their listed rating lowered, and lowly rated games will have it raised. The more votes there are, the less this happens. Since not many people vote on Japanese-only games, it's extremely hard for them to break into the top 100. 

So to use one example, Natsukumo Yururu is ranked #153 currently, but if you were to rank it only by its unadjusted average rating, it would actually be around #37. Of course, if you did that for all VNs, it would probably be much lower, but then a ton of other JP-only games would flood the top 100. 

Bayesian rating makes sense for rankings.  It makes less sense if you're looking for hidden gems or games that haven't gotten much buzz in the English community.  EGS doesn't use Bayesian ratings, and their rankings are very unreliable as a result, with 1 -5 vote doujin games making it into the top tiers.

Also, im pretty sure I have heard that Giga has no intention of bringing their games overseas.

There were negotiations with JAST about 6 years ago, but they fell through because the English release would've been mosaiced.  So no, GIGA was interested in the English market.

Edited by sanahtlig

Bayesian rating makes sense for rankings.  It makes less sense if you're looking for hidden gems or games that haven't gotten much buzz in the English community.  EGS doesn't use Bayesian ratings, and their rankings are very unreliable as a result, with 1 -5 vote doujin games making it into the top tiers.

There were negotiations with JAST about 6 years ago, but they fell through because the English release would've been mosaiced.  So no, GIGA was interested in the English market.

The threshold is just a bit high given the sample set. You could basiean weight up to a total of 5-10 votes instead of 50 votes.

Edit: err scratch that. What I'm trying to say is they could make the basiean scaling less strong, that is, stop affecting the scores of vns at 15 votes or so.

Edited by Chronopolis

The threshold is just a bit high given the sample set. You could basiean weight up to a total of 5-10 votes instead of 50 votes.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think VNDB's Bayesian ranking system uses 5 as the average to scale towards (when the title has few votes).  Perhaps it should use a true average, or even a tag-matched average, which would probably be higher than 5.