Recommend Me Something - Film

I'm looking for a nice film to watch thus lovely Sunday.
I thought I would watch a Disney film, but then I remembered I haven't watched anything anime in ages, so here I am.

My tastes with films are actually different from my tastes with anime series in general. While I'd usually prefer to have romance in the mix, I can do without it for films.

What I've watched

Wolf Children

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Howl's Moving Castle

The Secret World of Arrietty

Starting with what I've enjoyed the most, to what I've enjoyed the least (Enjoyed them all a lot anyways).

In films, I prefer fantasy settings but I'll take most anything that doesn't focus on: Action, Sports or Drama.
Note it can have any of these things, just not focus on them. My heart can't take too much Drama, but I am ready to cry for a film if it's good.

I also have a special place in my heart for bonds. Especially cliche things like Friendship wins over evil and a united family is invincible.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Tiagofvarela

Pan's Labyrinth?

Edit:

So you want an animation, or an actual movie?

Anime, please. But thank you nevertheless.

Spirited Away. 

I keep putting this one off. One of these days, I swear.

I have two that I watched that you might like, The Girl who Leapt Trough Time and Summer Wars.

I've heard about that first one often, but films with time-travel in their plots usually have certain scenes that I can't tolerate. Usually the character doing something my common sense, after watching countless films of this sort, just cannot tolerate. As the experience becomes painful, I'll probably skip this one. It's not a rational thing, no need to preach to me about what I may or may not be missing.

As for the second one, it looks mighty interesting and I'd never heard about it.
I wasn't expecting to get such interesting replies after three minutes, but I'll take it.

Summer Wars is indeed exactly what you're looking for. It's by Hosoda (who did Wolf Children) and family is a central theme in it. You can also try Sakasama no Patema, it's a nice SF/Romance.

Anything by Miyazaki is obviously a must-watch. Spirited Away indeed, but also Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime, which I think are his two most beautiful movies. Laputa, too.

Something by Satoshi Kon, maybe? Perfect Blue is probably a bit too dark for you but Millenium Actress and Paprika are mighty good.

Makoto Shinkai is the Key of animation movies when it comes to lachrymal romances. All of his movies are romances that'll make you cry, but maybe that's not what you're looking for.

Spirited Away. 

I keep putting this one off. One of these days, I swear.

Put it off no more! 

What these two said. Great movie. Just do it.

Don't make us make nest more quotes. We'll bring this whole thread down in flames if we have to.

No flame can take me on!

In other news, I've already I've cried like a baby today.

Little Witch Academia sounds like something you could bet on. It's pretty silly but also very fun. (not very long though)

Rather than just Spirited Away, most of Studio Ghibli's movies would likely fit what you're asking for.
But yeah Spirited Away is one of the best ones so you should definitely give it a go.

I wanted to suggest something by Makoto Shinkai but they're all pretty heavy on drama/romance which might not be what you want.
But if you want to give one a try, I'd recommend Kotonoha no Niwa out of all of them.
While most people would recommend Byousoku 5 Centimeter, I honestly found it just okay/good in comparison, but still not a bad choice if you want something.

Hotarubi no Mori e. Still my favorite anime movie of all time, and while it likely goes against what you want, I'll still heavily recommend it because fuck rules.

Little Witch Academia sounds like something you could bet on. It's pretty silly but also very fun. (not very long though)

Rather than just Spirited Away, most of Studio Ghibli's movies would likely fit what you're asking for.
But yeah Spirited Away is one of the best ones so you should definitely give it a go.

I wanted to suggest something by Makoto Shinkai but they're all pretty heavy on drama/romance which might not be what you want.
But if you want to give one a try, I'd recommend Kotonoha no Niwa out of all of them.
While most people would recommend Byousoku 5 Centimeter, I honestly found it just okay/good in comparison, but still not a bad choice if you want something.

Hotarubi no Mori e. Still my favorite anime movie of all time, and while it likely goes against what you want, I'll still heavily recommend it because fuck rules.

Oh! Oh! That Little Witch things seems mighty interesting. I'll take a better look at it.

Pretty much everything you suggested seems interesting to some extent. It'll be useful to have these in mind.

Why you haven't yet watched everything Miyazaki is beyond me. He's the go-to for anyone looking into anime films.
A few of his that has yet to be mentioned: Whispers of the Heart (also occasionally known as Valley of the Heart, If You Listen Closely, etc.) and the recent Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises).

I know you said no, but I have to second The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
And since you don't have either that or Summer Wars under your belt, I imagine you don't have Sennen Joyuu (Millennium Actress) either.

I just watched Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda today and I liked it, so I'd recommend that, as well.

Also know you said you wanted anime only, but I must recommend The Man from Earth.

Edited by storyteller

Why you haven't yet watched everything Miyazaki is beyond me. He's the go-to for anyone looking into anime films.
A few of his that has yet to be mentioned: Whispers of the Heart (also occasionally known as Valley of the Heart, If You Listen Closely, etc.) and the recent Kaze Tachinu

Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whispers of the Heart) is not by Miyazaki, it's by Yoshifumi Kondo (animation director on most pre-1995 Ghibli movies and long collaborator of Miyazaki and Takahata; sadly he died a premature death in 1998 before making any other movie, despite being thought of as 'the next Miyazaki').

I do wholeheartedly recommend everyone to watch it though. I think you'd like it Tiago, it has romance and it's relatively light-hearted. And also extremely beautiful.

And since you don't have either that or Summer Wars under your belt, I imagine you don't have Sennen Joyuu (Millennium Actress) either.

Seconding Sennen Joyuu. An unexpectedly touching bit of filmmaking. I actually saw this in theaters when it first came out stateside and loved it. (Looking at the U.S. grosses, I must have been one of only 12 or so people who did so. :) )

A few of his that has yet to be mentioned: Whispers of the Heart (also occasionally known as Valley of the Heart, If You Listen Closely, etc.) and the recent Kaze Tachinu

Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whispers of the Heart) is not by Miyazaki, it's by Yoshifumi Kondo (animation director on most pre-1995 Ghibli movies and long collaborator of Miyazaki and Takahata; sadly he died a premature death in 1998 before making any other movie, despite being thought of as 'the next Miyazaki').

I do wholeheartedly recommend everyone to watch it though. I think you'd like it Tiago, it has romance and it's relatively light-hearted. And also extremely beautiful.

I meant to say Miyazaki/Ghibli. It's close enough >_>
Technically, it's not all wrong since Miyazaki did have a lot to do with the movie.

I do adore this movie, though.
My favorite Ghibli movie, though I think objectively speaking Mononoke might be the best.

Edited by storyteller

I recommend The Adventures of Tiag from Varela

lyhcXYs.jpg (650×678)

~~

Also heavily encourage Spirited Away.

Might I mention that 'of' would be way more appropriate than 'from'.
He is Tiag of Varela after all.

As my recommendation, I'm pretty new to the movies myself but I'd nevertheless recommend The Girl who Leapt through Time. I understand that you are wary of the time-travel shenanigans, but the emphasis of the movie is not on time-travel and rather on the characters and how they develop. Time-travel is merely a means for that end. It's not like Steins;Gate which is what you were thinking I guess.

• 10 months later...

Only anime?

I want to watch the second The Hobbit movie, but that's just me.

Also I wholeheartedly recommend Zootopia, it's not anime but at least it's Disney as you (kinda) asked. And it's real good. But, it's furry.

You can also give the Evangelion movies a whirl. I have to watch from the second one on, too.