Paris under terrorist attack

Kawasumi

Really sad to see this kind of things still happening almost on 2016 :( 

The calendar year really has nothing to do with things, the world is set up under a competition system with countries and belief systems always vying for dominance. And those who lose out will always harbor resentment and ill-feelings towards those who are victorious, and plot their downfall. The world has been comparatively peaceful during recent times because America has been so much more powerful than anything else they've been able to assert their dominance over the world and keep an order that's been relatively beneficial to the West and their beliefs. 'Modern culture' really has nothing to do with peace, and expect more upheaval to happen in the future :( 

I'd just like to say my thoughts are with the security detail and police that had to manage this affair. These people get a bad rap in society during peace times, and their mistakes get amplified in the media, but public order (and the ability to defend your country) are almost the most important things to a country and they have a very tough job on their hands. Tougher today, obviously. These guys do a magnificent job.

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone effected. 

How is it that we are still on 2015 (almost 2016) but still behave like 1000 even 2000 years in the past, it's always the same, struggle for power, fighting for religion, killing each other, and nobody wins, when people die everyone loses, seems like it is on the human nature to act like this, but as any other creature on this planet we should be able to evolve and leave those things behind and cooperate, it puzzles me how we actually move foward in some things but still are the same in many others.

I made a correction and changed it to "modern day" terrorists. Because we can clearly see in the year 2000 and onward, most large scale (over 100 deaths) terrorist attacks involve Islamic extremists, at least a good 80-90% of them.

In case you missed it - 

Fiddle-dee-dee:  An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims.[1] If anything, that percentage is higher due to the rather arbitrary classification of terror attacks and a bias that may exist.

How many large scale terrorist attacks have there been, just out of curiousity? The idea that you need to specify >100 deaths is pretty telling, because now you aren’t angry at terrorists, you’re just angry at successful terrorists. Terrorists who aren’t successful, well they’re just fuzzy little teddy bears, am I right?

But you seem to want to talk about Islam and Islamic terrorism, so lets talk Islam, terrorism, and part of the reason the Middle East don't like America: 1) America’s interference inside Iran’s election process produced one of the biggest Western hating Government’s on the planet. Research the 1953 Iranian C’oup d’etat.

2) America’s influence inside Afghanistan produced the Taliban, and gave them great power. IIRC Afghanistan was a peaceful country until the USSR and America started fighting over it.

3) America removed Saddam Hussain under false pretences, creating a vacuum of power inside a tribal and volatile country. This vacuum of power was filled by toady politicians who a) were anti-Sunni and b) were unable to control the volatile country they were leading. This helped create ISIL/ISIS, who are mostly Sunni.

4) Syria, America supporting the rebels, how did that go again? Who are the rebels comprised of?

Every single time America entered the Middle East, they leave the place worse then before they entered. It’s been an unfortunate mistake.

America has done a lot of good things, but they helped destabilise the Middle East in many different, consequence-filled ways. And some people inside those countries are seeking to take advantage and take power. It's what happens *shrugs*

I made a correction and changed it to "modern day" terrorists. Because we can clearly see in the year 2000 and onward, most large scale (over 100 deaths) terrorist attacks involve Islamic extremists, at least a good 80-90% of them.

We can look back at the past and we can say that terrorism existed across different religions and races. But RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, you can't really defend every Muslim/Islamic peoples as they are constantly being treated badly because of the fact that modern day terrorists are mostly of Islamic background. There will always be people who will be what you call "racist bigots" but the are merely acting on their emotions and observations.

I don't think there were any Western terror attacks of any nature since 9/11 in which more than or close to 100 people were killed. I may be wrong.

We may concur with unfailing conclusiveness, however, that out of all the terrorist attacks that have indeed been classified as terrorist attacks, which may be described as modern-day (occurring after the year 2000), in which there were more than 100 deaths, a rather high percentage of them can be classified as Jihadist, with the caveat that they seem to have occurred in nations that were already and are currently dealing with civil conflict.

I'm curious how France as a nation will respond to this.  If it turns out to be ISIS, will they invade Syria and Iraq with ground combat troops, much as the US invaded Afghanistan after the 2001 attack on New York City?  Will the US join them?  How will Russia and Iran respond?

I think the situation in the Middle East is about to become even more volatile.

Interesting how everyone start discussing politics, racism, religion and stuff.

Me I'm still shocked, sad, but glad my friends and family are safe. And I don't care about the rest.

So, please, before poiting fingers, if you know any French people around you, just be there for them. We'll have time for the rest later.

Vive la France #PrayForParis

I'm curious how France as a nation will respond to this.  If it turns out to be ISIS, will they invade Syria and Iraq with ground combat troops, much as the US invaded Afghanistan after the 2001 attack on New York City?  Will the US join them?  How will Russia and Iran respond?

Yeah, let's hope not. The last thing any country needs is to waste money plowing themselves in the middle east to go hunt the terrorists. That's what they use as propaganda to recruit people to their ranks. 

I've got a real close internet friend that was supposed to be flying into France today, but I guess he didn't take off before this all started so he's still in Dubai.

No words for how relieved I am about that, but hope everyone that's in the country and more immediately in Paris stays safe.

The calendar year really has nothing to do with things, the world is set up under a competition system with countries and belief systems always vying for dominance. And those who lose out will always harbor resentment and ill-feelings towards those who are victorious, and plot their downfall. The world has been comparatively peaceful during recent times because America has been so much more powerful than anything else they've been able to assert their dominance over the world and keep an order that's been relatively beneficial to the West and their beliefs. 'Modern culture' really has nothing to do with peace, and expect more upheaval to happen in the future :( 

I'd just like to say my thoughts are with the security detail and police that had to manage this affair. These people get a bad rap in society during peace times, and their mistakes get amplified in the media, but public order (and the ability to defend your country) are almost the most important things to a country and they have a very tough job on their hands. Tougher today, obviously. These guys do a magnificent job.

How is it that we are still on 2015 (almost 2016) but still behave like 1000 even 2000 years in the past, it's always the same, struggle for power, fighting for religion, killing each other, and nobody wins, when people die everyone loses, seems like it is on the human nature to act like this, but as any other creature on this planet we should be able to evolve and leave those things behind and cooperate, it puzzles me how we actually move foward in some things but still are the same in many others.

Deep blue I sincerely request you to refrain putting everyone on the same boat as some stupid mass murderers. Last time I checked I don't seem to recall having an urge for commiting murder. Simplified version stop saying this is human nature, dude what you think no one can think for themselves or what? What human nature and whatnot I'm sure I can act by myself without having to follow the so called human nature trend. Seriously telling people to evolve? If by the chance you didn't notice humans are currently the highest intelligent creature currently existing on earth.

Deep blue I sincerely request you to refrain putting everyone on the same boat as some stupid mass murderers. Last time I checked I don't seem to recall having an urge for commiting murder. Simplified version stop saying this is human nature, dude what you think no one can think for themselves or what? What human nature and whatnot I'm sure I can act by myself without having to follow the so called human nature trend. Seriously telling people to evolve? If by the chance you didn't notice humans are currently the highest intelligent creature currently existing on earth.

sorry if i offended you but clearly you misunderstood my message, I don't think this is the time or place to speak of this things and I'm sorry I brought it to this topic.

Welp...

Most people here already know my personal background, a Muslim Arab/kinda British/it's complicated dude, and while it's rather sad when you see even a few racist/hateful posts on this particularly respectful forum, that sadness is out-shined by my happiness with the large number of understanding and well educated responses. My respect to ya'll, especially you Rooke :)

I would start defending Muslims/Islam, but it's unnecessary at this point, since most of you seem to be able to differentiate between a world religion with almost 2 billion followers and an extremest organization ^_^

I pray for those affected by this incident and their families, regardless of their ethnicity or faith.

And I sure hope this incident doesn't escalate to yet more wars in the already war-filled region of mine...

sorry if i offended you but clearly you misunderstood my message, I don't think this is the time or place to speak of this things and I'm sorry I brought it to this topic.

Apologize accepted. I have no need to continue to make a fuss over something like this. Just will tell you I didn't feel offended, the reason I replied was something else but whatever.

well,, i'am myself is muslim and i know why most people says that muslim is terrorist cause in this era terrorist like ISIS existance is make every muslim in this world look like mad people, and i sorry to hear france current states

sorry if my english is suck

I'm Jewish(atheist), and live in Israel even though I hate it here, and there is no hate between me and you brother. The people doing this are idiots and you are not one of them, Muslim or not. ISIS is a terrorist group and DO NOT represent all Muslims, or the refugees, that are trying to FLEE from ISIS. Aside from that i'm not going to get into any political talk, but I will say this: my condolences go out to these people, no innocent person deserves to die for any reason what-so-ever. My heart goes out to them, and everyone involved, I hope we start taking ISIS more seriously now.

J'espère que les citoyens parisiens, ainsi que les Français en general, restent forts dans cette situation. J'exprime mes prières les plus sincères à tout mes amis. Soyez prudent.

Paris se fait toucher pour la deuxième fois cette année mais sur des zones "bien plus proches" de ses habitants (Je pense que quasi tout les parisiens connaissait quelqu'un parti au stade de france ou faire la fête dans le centre hier soir...)

Personnellement j'ai froid dans le dos rien que d'appréhender ce qu'il se passe actuellement, j'me dit que j'aurai pu être dans la zone où ça s'était passé à ce moment là et faire parti des blessés/morts tout autant que n'importe quel autre personne. Y'avait pas de motifs, c'était aléatoire et honnêtement c'est ce qui me fait peur. Après y'a aussi l'idée que c'est plus la première fois, c'est la deuxième et si ça a pu se reproduire ça peut peut-être encore arriver...

Enfin bref, j'avoue que je me sens plus du tout en sécurité maintenant...

Sorry for the laziness of not translating...

#Prayers From Paris

I think the situation in the Middle East is about to become even more volatile.

USA Will be obliged to help France if they invade ISIS lands, because the 4th article of Nato is basically : we're under attack, send help.

This time, if it's confirmed that ISIS attacked, then there's a legitimity to attack ISIS.

And of course, if people didn't understand, the places that were hit are heavily populated by muslims, so no, whatever your religion, as long as you don't obey to daech, you're their ennemy.

In their mind, they are the true followers of Islam, and anyone, may be sunni or Chiite, Allaoui, Soufi, or anything, if they don't obey their kind of islamic law, they'll kill you, they'll bomb you, don't mistake about the ennemy, it's not islam, it's daech/ISIS/ISIL.

Edited by Kurisu-Chan

I actually wonder how much this will affect the politics. Poland already denied its immigrants' quota because of that. Furthermore, will the Europe/US go even more on offensive in Syria? Apparently, the terrorists were threatening France that if they don't stop supporting the bombing, there might be more attacks...