Hidden gems and underrated games!

Mugi

After looking back through my collection, I found quite a few that I personally love, but that I haven't heard anyone else as much as mention. What are your favorite underrated games and hidden gems? I think that this is a good opportunity to discover some games that most of us probably passed over or wrote off as being bad without giving it a chance. I'll start by saying Bomberman: Jetters for the Gamecube. I remember picking this up in the bargain bin at the local supermarket many years ago and ended up loving it, I had never played a Bomberman game before (which is apparently famous for it's fun multiplayer) and I never actually ended up playing the multiplayer because no friends, but the story mode was surprisingly fun. I liked how there were so many other elemental Bomber people, and the kind of "monster raising sim" part of it was pretty great to me at the time. And all the different bombs and how you created them were pretty cool as well. 

Shinobido: Way of the Ninja for PS2

This game was so awesome I'm surprised no one talks about it. Its a stealth game where you can fight one or two enemies if you screw up but multiple enemies will almost certainly kill you. The missions involved you choosing to work for one of three lords to win a civil war. The cool thing about this is you could prioritize one or, if you were never seen on your missions you could trick every lord into thinking you worked for them.  If it's controls were a bit tighter and less finniky I have no doubt it would be considered one of the best game on the PS2. 

Well recently I played Undertale it´s actually pretty underrated and not so well known even if there are many videos and memes. I really loved the games 4th wall breaking.

You actually think that Undertale is underrated? I'm curious as to what your definition of the term "underrated" is ^_^||

My pick would be Recettear. It may look like your typical JRPG, but there's a twist. Instead of playing as a hero, you play as Reccete, a young girl who runs an item shop. The majority of the gameplay will be trading and selling items to your customers, while trying to pay off the huge debt your father left you with. Sounds boring on paper, but it's actually really addictive. There are dungeon crawling aspects to it too. You can hire adventurers from the guild to serve as your bodyguard when you go into dungeons to collect materials. Overall it's a really cute and innovative game. Capitalism, Ho!

Capitalism,_ho!.png

Siren (aka Forbidden Siren in Europe) for the PS2. My favorite horror game by far, and one that surprisingly few people have played.

frsAobM.jpg

Defenseless characters facing off against zombie horrors in a small Japanese village. The atmosphere of dread it creates is unparalleled and the game's sightjack mechanic (where you can use the analog stick to tune into what nearby zombies are seeing) makes for some really tense stealth gameplay. Nothing like peeking through the eyes of a zombie as it turns a corner and seeing yourself there.

It's hard — very hard. Plus, there are multiple intertwining story lines that all interact with each other, so something you do hours earlier with one character can change things drastically in another character's chapter. A FAQ is recommended if you want the best results on your first playthrough, but going in blind is lots of fun too.

There's a PS3 remake of this (which I own, but have never played — no free time) but I don't know if it retains the magic of the PS2 version. Guess I should find out one day, huh?

Trinity Universe for the PS3. I loved all the different characters and the long as hell combos you could make by combining nearly all their moves into one giant boss crushing move. Certain characters had cool finishing poses so I always used them last. Besides that you could power up your characters with items that didn't only look cool, but were  also powerful.

I'm a bit in nostalgia mood at the moment, so all I can say is that I remember Recoil and Uprising 2 being both very good and underrated back then. I really enjoyed playing both, although not as much as Turok: Dinosaur Hunter :Kappa: Virus 2000 was another of those hidden gems, but the game was way too difficult and with too much design flaws, to actually be considered great; I still loved it, nevertheless.

I can't determine if it is nostalgia or if it was actually a good game, though I can say it was fun, Tenchu Z for the Xbox 360. Ever since playing that I have really wanted another good ninja game along those lines but have yet to play one.

I recommend Tenchu 2 for the PS1. I got it as part of a box of games when I got my first console, and it was actually pretty great.  

Venetica is one of my favorite western games that you don't hear much about. For older titles Parasite Eve 2 for PSX witch has a same system as old Resident Evil games 1-3 but even better then those and is nowhere as close as popular as them.

Parasite eve 2 <3 

Finished it over 30 times got all the finish game bonus weapons and items and there was only one code I newer managed to figure out (Last room in a hotel on second floor in a dessert). :D

It's not underrated but at the initial time of its release in 1998 Grim Fandango was a completely overlooked game for the PC. It's an adventure game in the same vein as the Monkey Island series, in which you play a grim reaper solving a mystery in the land of the dead. It's challenging, it's humorous, and it has one of the greatest musical scores for a game ever. The remastered it and released it across several platforms this past year. If you haven't picked it up, you should.

I'd put these forward as being hidden gems - they're all Early Access titles on Steam (though fairly close to release), but are already great games in their current state, and worthy of more attention than they tend to get.

Darkest Dungeon

Darkest Dungeon is a dungeon crawler with game play that appears extremely simplistic at first glance, but has a surprising amount of depth as you dig into it. You lead a group of adventurers in a quest to cleanse your family's ancestral home of Lovecraftianesque evil. Your adventurers level up, learn new skills, gain new positive - and negative - quirks, and die horribly as your missions go completely awry. Death is permanent, but new adventurers are always arriving in search of glory, so a few losses won't hurt --- too much. Combat is turn based, and has a tendency to go South pretty quick if you're not careful.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

Delver

This one is a first person roguelike with fairly simple, but in my opinion charming graphics and excellent music and sound. It's a fairly simple game at the core, and one that doesn't take too terribly long to play through - which is okay, because you'll be dying a fair bit. Death is permanent and sends you back to the start of the game with a newly generated dungeon set to go through, though you are allowed to keep any gold that you've gathered up to that point which, which can be used to buy items to make your subsequent play throughs a bit easier. What Delver lacks in complexity and length, I would say it makes up for in sheer replayability. The fact that it's only eight dollars doesn't hurt, either.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249630/

Project Zomboid

Project zomboid is an isometric zombie survival RPG. After creating a character, you get dropped into a large (and growing) map composed of several small cities and the surrounding countryside. In order to stay alive you need to secure food, water and safe shelter, all of which become increasingly difficult the longer you survive, as the zombie population increases and as electricity and water services fail. PZ has a wealth of options when it comes to survival, and a number of different ways to tackle the challenges you're faced with. There are a ton of crafting options, and even a fairly nice building system that is becoming increasingly polished as time goes by, allowing you to build your own (hopefully) zombie-proof fortresses... though, they won't do anything to keep you fed. The game also has multiplayer, which is a definite plus.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/

I've sank a ton of hours into all three of these games, and think they're all worth their respective prices. 

I'd put these forward as being hidden gems - they're all Early Access titles on Steam (though fairly close to release), but are already great games in their current state, and worthy of more attention than they tend to get

Wow, Project Zomboid is Steam Early Access? Man, talk about a long dev time. I just checked my old emails, and it looks like I first bought the beta of that 4-1/2 years ago. I guess it's probably changed a lot since those days, huh? ;)

Wow, Project Zomboid is Steam Early Access? Man, talk about a long dev time. I just checked my old emails, and it looks like I first bought the beta of that 4-1/2 years ago. I guess it's probably changed a lot since those days, huh? ;)

It really has! Like you, I bought into the old alpha ages back - it was only in the last two weeks that I went back to the game and started checking out what they've done in the time since then. The game is infinitely more playable now, and has enough game settings available that you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. It's definitely worth taking another look at.

I'd put these forward as being hidden gems - they're all Early Access titles on Steam (though fairly close to release), but are already great games in their current state, and worthy of more attention than they tend to get

yes it looks and feel almost like a different game now, same as underrail (which is coming out very soon : D ).