Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning released!

Decay

Pre-ordered with some of my Christmas dough as a present for myself.  Hyyyyyype.

Is it possible that MangaGamer might localize the other two Liarsoft Steampunk VNs?  They've already been fan translated, obviously, but it'd be a little strange if they only touched Gahkthun.  I'd love it if koestl re-translated them, but even if they do get picked up, I just can't see that happening.

Pre-ordered with some of my Christmas dough as a present for myself.  Hyyyyyype.

Is it possible that MangaGamer might localize the other two Liarsoft Steampunk VNs?  They've already been fan translated, obviously, but it'd be a little strange if they only touched Gahkthun.  I'd love it if koestl re-translated them, but even if they do get picked up, I just can't see that happening.

I doubt anyone at Mangagamer would be willing to localize a translation by Ixrec honestly. If they pick up any more steampunk games, they're likely going to be re-translated. 

I think they'd rather translate Sona-nyl and Valusia first. MangaGamer is adverse to licensing already-translated works in the first place and both of the other more recent untranslated steampunk games are more highly regarded than the currently translated ones. And then by that time, the next Steampunk game will be out.

Which reminds me, the upcoming one isn't being handled by Liarsoft. They might not be able to secure the licenses if they want to release any of the steampunk VNs made by Sakurai in the future.

Well, this is all theoretical in the first place. Gahkthun as to actually sell well, first.

I think they'd rather translate Sona-nyl and Valusia first. MangaGamer is adverse to licensing already-translated works in the first place and both of the other more recent untranslated steampunk games are more highly regarded than the currently translated ones. And then by that time, the next Steampunk game will be out.

Which reminds me, the upcoming one isn't being handled by Liarsoft. They might not be able to secure the licenses if they want to release any of the steampunk VNs made by Sakurai in the future.

Well, this is all theoretical in the first place. Gahkthun as to actually sell well, first.

Sakurai really wants the steampunk-series to be released overseas, that was the reason that Sona-Nyl Refrain was released on xbox as well as psp apparently, as well as the reason for the official page for the steampunk series including (kinda bad) english descriptions for all the titles. So I think it's pretty unlikely that Sakurai wouldn't want to let mangagamer translate Vulthoom if they want to.

• 2 weeks later...

The demo is out now: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/12/10/gahkthun-of-the-golden-lightning-demo-now-available/

zN7FBxT.jpg

Oh, yes, all of us remember from our history books how Nikola Tesla famously studied under The Lightning Lord Benjamin Franklin.

Just remind you that in this story Winston Churchill is a loser and Howard Phillips is a pedophile. Lol, and no, Agatha Christie (Mary Clarissa) wrote a horror book, and Sherlock Holmes existed and talked to Agatha Christie in this world.

You know, it's not the real world, but a fantasy world using real characters,

Uhh, yeah, I'm pretty well aware. It should be pretty obvious from my other posts in the thread. I just found that bit in particular an especially amusing divergence. Perhaps because I share in the common american's worshipping of our lord and savior Benjamin Franklin.

Uhh, yeah, I'm pretty well aware. It should be pretty obvious from my other posts in the thread. I just found that bit in particular an especially amusing divergence. Perhaps because I share the common american's worshipping of our lord and savior Benjamin Franklin.

2460270-2013-03-26_00009.jpg

I wonder if they'll mention the rumor that Franklin was a womanizer and a pervert.  

I do admit, I find it a little funny that Tesla is one of the protags, considering how incredibly popular he's gotten in the past few years among nerds.  I wonder if that was on purpose or entirely coincidental.

I don't need to like this sort of thing to like the look of this sort of thing.
It's on my radar, presuming it's not some dark heavy story. I don't mind heavy, but make it nice, please.

Don't expect lighthearted story, it's better for you.

At most, it'll be filled with creepy and dark themes, and bizarre creatures. 

Koestl really brings out the character's personalities. He's ensured it's a really engaging romp.

It's on my radar, presuming it's not some dark heavy story. I don't mind heavy, but make it nice, please.

I don't like dark, heavy stories either, but I've been told Gahkthun isn't or I wouldn't be reading it. 

Of course, it's possible I've been LIED to by fiendish fiends :( 

I'm curious if this will contain a lot of repetition of scenes, like its predecessors. I recall people mentioning Sakurai writes in such a way to create a unique style/feeling - and the prose simply didn't translate well into English in the former titles. Not wholly turned on with that mechanic if it ends up playing another stylistic factor though - rather then "artistic" it just feels like lazy writing - regurgitating the exact same lines over and over throughout a story.

Time will tell at this point, already pre-ordered my copy. (Though I think Cold Steel is going to get my full attention before anything else :sachi: )

Uhh, yeah, I'm pretty well aware. It should be pretty obvious from my other posts in the thread. I just found that bit in particular an especially amusing divergence. Perhaps because I share in the common american's worshipping of our lord and savior Benjamin Franklin.

I don't care much for Benjamin Franklin the inventor despite being American, although I love the version of him when it comes to my wallet. 

And it's out! http://www.mangagamer.com/detail.php?goods_type=1&product_code=156

Playing it now.

vBbugcX.jpg

I guess this is one of those things where everyone is meant to be speaking english in-world but in-game the voice over is in Japanese and of course the translation is in english. It's kinda weird! This might have been the kind of story where a good english voiceover would have been appreciated. 

Can't wait until we get to Sora Nyl and everyone is speaking Japanese in New York City.

edit: Incidentally, because of this quirk, the translation removes all semblances of honorifics and japanese titles, and localizes them when appropriate. In this case, I suppose honorifics would just be artifacts left over from the original language used and actually conflict with the setting and culture of the game world. I wonder if there are still people out there who would get up in arms over this.

Oh yeah, and weirdly enough, the Japanese script uses a weird mix of american and japanese titles. "Mister JJ" is as it was originally written, but you'll still hear your fair share of senpais and other japanese forms of address. I'm probably the only one who finds this kind of thing interesting.

I guess this is one of those things where everyone is meant to be speaking english in-world but in-game the voice over is in Japanese and of course the translation is in english. It's kinda weird! This might have been the kind of story where a good english voiceover would have been appreciated. 

Can't wait until we get to Sora Nyl and everyone is speaking Japanese in New York City.

edit: Incidentally, because of this quirk, the translation removes all semblances of honorifics and japanese titles, and localizes them when appropriate. In this case, I suppose honorifics would just be artifacts left over from the original language used and actually conflict with the setting and culture of the game world. I wonder if there are still people out there who would get up in arms over this.

Oh yeah, and weirdly enough, the Japanese script uses a weird mix of american and japanese titles. "Mister JJ" is as it was originally written, but you'll still hear your fair share of senpais and other japanese forms of address. I'm probably the only one who finds this kind of thing interesting.

M-My head :michiru:

Are you by any chance going to be reviewing this title?

It looks interesting, but I have so much to read already so I can't decide on wether I should get it or not.

Stealing straight from Mangagamer blog:

『黄雷のガクトゥーン』監督・脚本 桜井光
スチームパンクの本場と言えばやはり、英語圏です。
そして今回、多くのご尽力をいただいて、スチームパンク・シリーズと銘打って極東で展開されてきた作品群から最新作『黄雷のガクトゥーン』の英語版がリリースされる運びとなりました。
これは、ある種の「里帰り」であるのかもしれません。
だから私はこの一言を捧げます。心より。
─ただいま、故郷よ!

A comment from Sakurai Hikaru, author and director of “Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning”
When asked where the home of “steampunk” lies, our answer must surely be “the English-speaking world.”
And today, thanks to a great deal of dedicated assistance, the newest entry in the Far Eastern “Steampunk Series” of works – “Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning” – is being released in English translation.
One might well call this a “homecoming” of sorts.
And so, let me offer you these words – from the bottom of my heart.
─We’re home, motherland!

The amount of love put into "Steampunk" games is  astounding, you're doing a disservice for yourself by not buying these awesome games!
(Too bad I'm too busy with Christmas preparations to actually play Gahkthun right now... :cry:)