Deciding What To Do With The Rest of My Life

solidbatman

Honestly, at least in the american college, the first year of college is divided into two areas: business and the arts and sciences.  Decide that as that will decide which program you enter.  That decides what classes you take for your first year, as the first year of college is all general education.  You wont get specialized classes until second year.  First year is really just a buffer year where you can take all the electives and background classes to test the waters for what you want to declare your major as.

That's really my biggest problem with American education: they take too long to teach you what you want to learn.

Just remember, that if you don't pick a job that requires cognitive flexibility and ingenuity, your job will be taken by a robot in 20 years. :mare:

In that respect, picking mechanical engineering might be future proofing yourself so you can do maintenance work on your inevitable metal overlords.

Honestly, at least in the american college, the first year of college is divided into two areas: business and the arts and sciences.  Decide that as that will decide which program you enter.  That decides what classes you take for your first year, as the first year of college is all general education.  You wont get specialized classes until second year.  First year is really just a buffer year where you can take all the electives and background classes to test the waters for what you want to declare your major as.

That's really my biggest problem with American education: they take too long to teach you what you want to learn.

Just remember, that if you don't pick a job that requires cognitive flexibility and ingenuity, your job will be taken by a robot in 20 years. :mare:

In that respect, picking mechanical engineering might be future proofing yourself so you can do maintenance work on your inevitable metal overlords.

Im two years into college right now. 

I don't have the slightest clue what Major I should do either, but some people have told me that you will probably find something that you have interest in later on, since you can change majors, you can flex around, now let me give you my opinion on the jobs. Geology: I have no clue about this, I'm guessing a decent job maybe? oil company:probably going to be good pay and hard work, surveying with a construction company: its going to be a easy job and you get paid pretty good, but it depends on what potion your in and what company. teaching: teachers get paid rather poorly,but its going to be a easy and enjoyable job if you enjoy what you teach. It sucks you have to make a choice, but at least you have some general directions to where your headed to...I'm gonna have to make my choice soon, but I'm still utterly lost...You can always change your major if you find something more suitable for you, so don't worry about it. 

I don't have the slightest clue what Major I should do either, but some people have told me that you will probably find something that you have interest in later on, since you can change majors, you can flex around, now let me give you my opinion on the jobs. Geology: I have no clue about this, I'm guessing a decent job maybe? oil company:probably going to be good pay and hard work, surveying with a construction company: its going to be a easy job and you get paid pretty good, but it depends on what potion your in and what company. teaching: teachers get paid rather poorly,but its going to be a easy and enjoyable job if you enjoy what you teach. It sucks you have to make a choice, but at least you have some general directions to where your headed to...I'm gonna have to make my choice soon, but I'm still utterly lost...You can always change your major if you find something more suitable for you, so don't worry about it. 

Read what Rooke told in this thread. You seems do not have an idea about teacher's work, speaking about "easy and enjoyable".

tfw you realize batman is probably much younger than you thought

This

I don't know why, but I had the impression Bats was around Tiago's age: older than Ren, but younger than Rooke.

~~

But yeah, if you like doing both, and are currently leaning towards Geology, just go with that, and if it doesn't work out you can try History teaching. And if that doesn't work out, to hell with everything and fulltime Fuwareviews.

Read what Rooke told in this thread. You seems do not have an idea about teacher's work, speaking about "easy and enjoyable".

I really doubt every kid is a demon at heart, there has to be good kids, and yes, its easy and enjoyable , since teaching a subject to high school or middle school student should not be difficult,and if you enjoy the subject you teach, since your teaching out of interest and not pay, it should be enjoyable since you picked that job and your passionate about it.I'm not saying he will enjoy his job for sure, but if he picks the job because he likes that field of work, surely he will enjoy the job more than the other choices.

I really doubt every kid is a demon at heart, there has to be good kids, and yes, its easy and enjoyable , since teaching a subject to high school or middle school student should not be difficult,and if you enjoy the subject you teach, since your teaching out of interest and not pay, it should be enjoyable since you picked that job and your passionate about it.I'm not saying he will enjoy his job for sure, but if he picks the job because he likes that field of work, surely he will enjoy the job more than the other choices.

Sorry for asking, but did you ever worked as teacher or did you even worked anywhere more than a year? As my own work experience tells me completely opposite :)

Sorry for asking, but did you ever worked as teacher or did you even worked anywhere more than a year? As my own work experience tells me completely opposite :)

No, but i don't see how work experience relates to this,i know the real world is harsh, but I don't think its that harsh...I mean its not living hell out there....maybe not the part of town where i live XD

No, but i don't see how work experience relates to this,i know the real world is harsh, but I don't think its that harsh...I mean its not living hell out there....maybe not the part of town where i live XD

You would not know without trying, it seems. So just believe me. As you now have a position like "never tried - but this cannot be so", which is fundamentally wrong. There is a small chance that in your particular town teachers are respected by their pupils and really enjoy their work, but... Veeeery small chance, indeed.

Around where I live, the public school system sucks ass.  My brother actually had a girlfriend who was going into teaching and was a student teacher.  She taught 3rd graders and liked it, but when she got moved to 7th grade, she said it was torture. She said that all the kids starting puberty caused the entire experience to make her not want to teach middle school anymore.

Really it depends on where you live and how well funded your school system is.  The neighborhood I live in has a 77% highschool graduation rate for public school, and anybody who actually cares about their kids sends them to private school.  I was in that school system until 6th grade, where my mom pulled me test into a different school where I skipped two grades straight into 9th in a private school in a different state.  The public school system actually told her that in order for them to help me, I had to fail, and not get 100%s on everything.

TL;DR: be more sensible, sure he may enjoy the subject, but the other factors can be quite lethal. Teaching may always be in demand, but there is a reason it's always in demand.

You would not know without trying, it seems. So just believe me. As you now have a position like "never tried - but this cannot be so", which is fundamentally wrong. There is a small chance that in your particular town teachers are respected by their pupils and really enjoy their work, but... Veeeery small chance, indeed.

I have no experience,so I can only make predictions based on what i know and what i believe, and sometimes that prediction might not be true. 

Around where I live, the public school system sucks ass.  My brother actually had a girlfriend who was going into teaching and was a student teacher.  She taught 3rd graders and liked it, but when she got moved to 7th grade, she said it was torture. She said that all the kids starting puberty caused the entire experience to make her not want to teach middle school anymore.

Really it depends on where you live and how well funded your school system is.  The neighborhood I live in has a 77% highschool graduation rate for public school, and anybody who actually cares about their kids sends them to private school.  I was in that school system until 6th grade, where my mom pulled me test into a different school where I skipped two grades straight into 9th in a private school in a different state.  The public school system actually told her that in order for them to help me, I had to fail, and not get 100%s on everything.

TL;DR: be more sensible, sure he may enjoy the subject, but the other factors can be quite lethal. Teaching may always be in demand, but there is a reason it's always in demand.

That was my point of view, and i apparently I was horrendously misinformed or something along that line, it seems everyone think that the public school system is complete shit. I thought the public school systems was better what what I thought,but i guess I was wrong.

Teaching can be a great job given the right circumstances. One of my closest friends actually teaches at the high school we graduated from (and they have told me to get in touch with them upon finishing college), and he enjoys it. Of course he gets frustrated at times, but from what I gather, he does enjoy it. At the same time, it is only temporary for him as he is going into med school (a Tay Jr. if you will). 

For those wondering, I am 22 years of age. 

Prostitution can be a great job given the right circumstances, and in fact you’ll often hear select ladies come out and say how much they enjoy the job. This can also be applied to mining, nursing, and almost every other occupation that can, and often does, wither your soul. If you’re making a complex decision on the basis that ‘it can be rewarding if the planets all align and the right children are sacrificed to the right fork-tongued demon’, well…

Also, keep in mind that schools change as the surrounding areas change. The school I went to was pretty decent when I was there, it’s now a hot-spot for drugs and crime. The school you graduated from may be a decent school now, in ten years time who knows. Also that ‘get in touch with them’ does not equal a guarantee.

And remember, teaching is only getting worse, the profession has generally been considered to have had its day and it's in decline in all facets. That and the education system is outdated, so chances are a major overhaul will be coming in the next decade or so, so I would regard the industry as being in pre-change, or that period just before change. 

Also, I don’t recommend allowing your decision to be influenced by the opinion or situation of your friends. Seen that happen before, seen plenty of mistakes made, which resulted in lots of laughter from me… cause I delight in misery, obviously. You have a decision to make, and like all complex life decisions with real consequences, I recommend flipping a coin.

Edited by Rooke

Transfer into my University and make games with me. I'll guarantee a 6 figure annual salary.

A good number of my friends and family work as teachers or subs, and the basic gist of what I hear from them is that you'll have good years and bad years. The job can be both deeply fulfilling and enriching, and a living hell. That being said, I think you'd make a pretty decent teacher. If teaching would bring you more joy than working for an oil company, then that's my vote. Teachers are cool. (I'm speaking through private school / University tinted glasses here, so maybe take my words with a grain of salt considering you'd probably wind up at a public school).

Honestly, it's a decision you have to make of your own accord. Don't let your friends' opinions or outlooks sway you too far away from what you actually want. Nevermind, forget everything I said. Transfer to my school and we'll invite Charm over and we can have tea and it'll be great. Just... don't end up like Rooke. Nobody deserves to end up like Rooke :c

Edited by WinkBlinkel