Deciding What To Do With The Rest of My Life

solidbatman

So, the time has come for me to declare my major, and transfer out of my 2 year school into a university. I have 5 days left to do this and am still undecided. Right now, I'm leaning towards going into geology, to work with an oil company, or construction company with land surveying. Alternatively, I have a lot of history credits built up, and could easily land a job teaching history out of college.

But instead of deciding for myself, I'll let Fuwanovel decide what to do with my future. Should I go with geology, or stick with historical studies. Or something else entirely. For the record, "VN Reviews" is not a legitimate job opportunity moving forward. 

VN Reviewer. :Kappa:

As a future teacher myself, there will always be a market for teachers.  That's not going to change anytime soon.  My vote is for that.  Just know you won't be doing it for the money, but for seeing students be successful.

Thats the thing. The public school systems in the US are complete dog shit. Unless I could get in with a charter or private school, I honestly don't know if I could handle it. Money is also a big factor for me. A living wage is nice, but if the opportunity is there for me to get a job I'd enjoy in a geological field, I'd grab it over teaching.

A third option I have, is because I have so many history credits built up, I could easily get accredited even without making history my major. It would take maybe 2 semesters to get the 24 credit hours I need (I'm at 16) for history. 

I vote geology. Sounds like you're already leaning that way and it's probably the more solid career choice of the two.

Of course, I said the same thing to myself when I was in your shoes and decided to major in engineering. One year later, I was fleeing to the welcoming arms of Journalism and Literary Theory instead. So you can see how well that worked out. :)

Go for geology.

In the end, your diploma will only shape the 5 first years of your professionnal life. You can do whatever you want as long as you aim high enough.

Edited by Guest

Being the idealist that I am I'd tell you to go for whatever you enjoy the most and screw the rest.

I'm not you so I can't tell you what you enjoy the most though. If I were in your shoes I'd say to go for historical studies all the way (besides I'd feel bad working for an oil company).

Geology, agree with Maef here.

Thats the thing. The public school systems in the US are complete dog shit. Unless I could get in with a charter or private school, I honestly don't know if I could handle it. Money is also a big factor for me. 

Are you guys talking about becoming a teacher in a normal school? My sincere advice would be to stay the hell away. Kids don't respect teachers anymore, teachers can't do anything to bring them into line because 'sensitive' people in the community will cry big, wet, soppy tears, the kids know this and will take advantage of it, and you definitely don't have the disposition to handle that. Also guns and false claims of rape like that grade 9 student whose every accusation was ripped straight from an episode of Law and Order.

stay with history, there are hundreds of things historians do than teaching.

Not really. It's not the most job-packed field and you'll probably find more job opps as a geologist. Not that there's many job opps as a Geologist either.

My only advice would be to go with the one that you genuinely enjoy the most. After school I went to college for a year (which is different in the UK, it's more of a vocational thing) to study accountancy... I figured it'd be a good job, but I didn't really like it. I went to university to study mathematics and stats, as I felt there'd be plenty of job opportunitie following that and once again, I couldn't stick it. Now I'm doing history, and while I'm not sure what I want to do at the end of it, I'm happy, and I'm gonna get my degree and hopefully by then I'll have a clearer idea of what I want to do.

I'm not sure where you are and how the university system works, but do what you enjoy. Doing something you don't really like all that much, or geared towards a specific job UNLESS YOU KNOW IT'S 100% WHAT YOU WANNA DO, has a greater chance of falling flat.

Best of luck dude :)

My only advice would be to go with the one that you genuinely enjoy the most. After school I went to college for a year (which is different in the UK, it's more of a vocational thing) to study accountancy... I figured it'd be a good job, but I didn't really like it. I went to university to study mathematics and stats, as I felt there'd be plenty of job opportunitie following that and once again, I couldn't stick it. Now I'm doing history, and while I'm not sure what I want to do at the end of it, I'm happy, and I'm gonna get my degree and hopefully by then I'll have a clearer idea of what I want to do.

I'm not sure where you are and how the university system works, but do what you enjoy. Doing something you don't really like all that much, or geared towards a specific job UNLESS YOU KNOW IT'S 100% WHAT YOU WANNA DO, has a greater chance of falling flat.

Best of luck dude :)

The good news for me, is that I enjoy both. 

Many people criticize majoring in the humanities because they claim there are less job opportunities. And while this may technically be true, it is not to the extent people claim. Yes, getting a job related to History, English (or whatever humanities field you choose) is pretty tough. But most people who major in Humanities end up getting jobs that have nothing to do with their majors. I know a decent amount of English majors who are now working for Non-profits and not only getting paid decently well, but enjoy their work as well. If you major in Engineering, it's obvious that you will most likely become an engineer. If you major in the humanities, it isn't clear what career you will get, but plenty of various opportunists exist.

Additionally, if you study hard and are ambitious; both Law school and Business school don't really care about what you majored in so long as you do well on the tests. Mentioning this mostly since I'm planning on going into law myself. Interestingly enough, from the lawyers I've spoken to, majoring in something not related to law is actually recommended. (aka doing prelaw isn't as smart as you might think). 

Not like I really have any say in this, but I think the only correct answer is known to you. I also find geology, geography and history incredibly bland for the most part so can't really help with anything.

I think you should come to your own decision, nobody here exactly knows what would your justifications, thoughts, feelings and plans be for either option.

I would recommend geology, given that your disposition seems somewhat unsuited to teaching anything. Of course, if you really can land a history related job otherwise, that's potentially interesting. Well, you have to make your own decision anyway, so who cares what I say :Teeku:

How I act here online is nothing at all how I act in real life. I've taught on a volunteer basis before in summer camps and what not and did quite well doing it 

Go with the money. So "oil" seems "money", I would stuck with that.

Historian just seems not a profitable job. Also Rooke told correct about schools - you would be hating yourself, as almost no one cares what you want to explain and you cannot do anything to solve that, as kids nowadays are merciless to teachers, because teacher have no power on them. Well, whom I am telling, I believe you should remember that well.

Who tells "do what you like" never lived a life, it seems. If job would not suit you - you will find another one, but this would meant you got experience, while if you would do what you like - you would be on your parents shoulders for rest of your life... As people tend to be lazy and the more they adapt to doing nothing for a living - the more NEETs comes to life.