Cicadas/Semi (蝉)

Deep Blue

After reading a ton of vns I came to the conclusion that Japanese writers are a bit obsessed with cicadas, only a few vns didn't mention them.

This are just a few of the vn that I found some reference to them.

lXASJEO.jpg

Paug9mt.jpg

uxvOHN0.jpg

RibtR8f.jpg

52EKJvK.jpg

04TBIQg.jpg

NpfThvY.jpg

KHA5gAD.jpg

LavDoNX.jpg

MkQuNGc.jpg

eufiNT9.jpg

TQCpEHv.jpg

6842.jpg

I did a little research about cicadas and the Japanese culture and what I found was this:

*Cicadas are associated with the beginning of summer and so they are cherished for that and.... that's pretty much it :wafuu: 
Now if we go to the Chinese culture that's a whole different thing but we are talking about Japan here and not China so 去你妈的!!! 

But there is more to the cicadas than that lousy noises they make!

The content in this next video is a bit unpleasant so yeah just warning you 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDBkj3DjNSM

And if you are bored you can either make yourself a nice wig with them or buy a cd  and hear them whenever you want, the season doesn't matter anymore. It's cicada time all year. 

https://twitter.com/shoko55mmts/status/496913800574951424/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

BuVkdujCcAAp7Qs.jpg

BuVkdvRCAAAVmau.jpg

you will be the envy of everyone :Teeku:

So start cherishing those damn bugs from now on and if you want post some screenshots if you catch one inside a vn xyOfYen.gif

As someone who lives in an area with a lot of crickets, I do not appreciate loud bugs like cicadas.

In the summer especially, the noise gets unbearable, like those broken lamps that constantly make a static noise, except you can't turn it off and have to bear with it for hours.

I don't want my eardrums in a mush just to appreciate the arrival of summer thank you very much.

Fun/sad fact: the other day I was casually reading a VN with my window open and there was a scene where cicadas were making noises in the background. I decided I've read enough for now and turned off the game, but then I kept hearing the same noise. Thinking I glitched my sound system I turn off the speakers, but the noise persists. Did I curse my computer? I decide to turn it off, but the bug noises don't stop. I'm at a loss for a couple minutes but then I quickly realize it was just the crickets outside being loud as hell, so much so they blended with the game's own cicada SFX.

TL;DR Cicadas are the spawn of Satan.

Yes Cicadas are obnoxious little critters, luckily where I live they are not very common.
I found weird all the worshiping towards them in the Japanese culture because actually they don't mean anything it's just a damn noisy bug, probably is something they inherited from the Chinese culture where it means something other than the beginning of a new season.

*Cicadas are associated with the beginning of summer and so they are cherished for that and.... that's pretty much it :wafuu: 
Now if we go to the Chinese culture that's a whole different thing but we are talking about Japan here and not China so 去你妈的!!!

Actually cicadas are associated with a quite a few different things in Japan depending on the kind. For example Higurashi is associated with sadness, melancholy and loneliness (which is why Higurashi no Naku Koro ni isn't named after some other kind of cicada), probably because they can be heard in the evening.

Edited by Beato

Actually cicadas are associated with a quite a few different things in Japan depending on the kind. For example Higurashi is associated with sadness, melancholy and loneliness (which is why Higurashi no Naku Koro ni isn't named after some other kind of cicada), probably because they can be heard in the evening.

I did research it and from what I've seen like you said depending on the cicada they associate them with different things or depending on the singing of them they can tell what time is it too but there isn't a deep meaning behind them historically speaking in china however there is, gods, mythology, it is a symbol of many things too. 

As loud as they are, I honestly don't find them at all annoying.
To such point that I didn't realize I had stopped hearing them until I read this topic -.-

now that you are aware of them you will never ever forget they are there muahaha  xD

• 1 month later...