Which visual novels has the most amount of choices?

Dark_blade64

Alright I started this thread becuase I got quite curious of which visual novels have the most amount of choices. I've seen list of the longest visual novels out there but never haven't seen any about choices which makes sense but my point is in your opinion which one has the most choices? I heard Clannad supposely has like 30 choices per route which a lot taking into account it has like 8-9 routes + After story.

https://vndb.org/g1025?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-1025;m=0;o=d;s=tagscore

key's vns tend to have lots of choices like little buster, clannad, rewrite, the ever series too, recently I played family project that one had a lot too(this one i think had like 100 choices) but it's hard to tell which one has the most

Edited by Deep Blue

https://vndb.org/g1025?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-1025;m=0;o=d;s=tagscore

key's vns tend to have lots of choices like little buster, clannad, rewrite, the ever series too, recently I played family project that one had a lot too(this one i think had like 100 choices) but it's hard to tell which one has the most

I know about the lots of choices tag but I was thinking more about the amount of choices (more or less like giving a vague guess about how many choice you think the visual novel has). Besides certain novels like clannad aren't listed as having lots of choices in vndb but in reality it still have many choices.

School Days has a ton of choices that actually matter and cause the plot to branch in many different directions.

This. Only VN I highly admire for having many choices that impact the story. Most VNs nowadays have these pointless choices that only change 1-2 dialogues and dont affect any of the endings and I absolutely hate those because it's a lazy way of adding more content by the devs. =P

Edited by CeruleanGamer

School Days has a ton of choices that actually matter and cause the plot to branch in many different directions.

This. Only VN I highly admire for having many choices that impact the story. Most VNs nowadays have these pointless choices that only change 1-2 dialogues and dont affect any of the endings and I absolutely hate those because it's a lazy way of adding more content by the devs. =P

School days does do a good job with that, but only that. My friend played School Days and said it was the worst VN he's ever played.

Also, VNs with a lot of choices. Most of the VNs I've played don't have much when it comes to choice options. The most I can think of is Key VNs.

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger has a lot of annoying choices that you must make to 100% the story such as: winning the battle, losing the battle, winning without using any specials and picking the right combination of choices.

This was by far the most annoying VN that I have played to fully complete the game.

School days does do a good job with that, but only that. My friend played School Days and said it was the worst VN he's ever played.

I suppose your friend is such an authority on VNs that his opinion should be accepted as fact?

It's a polarizing game.  A lot of people hate it, and a lot of people love it.  I wouldn't listen to just one side and come to a conclusion.  Anyone who thinks School Days is the worst VN they've played... hasn't played very many VNs I'm guessing.

Edited by sanahtlig

I suppose your friend is such an authority on VNs that his opinion should be accepted as fact?

It's a polarizing game.  A lot of people hate it, and a lot of people love it.  I wouldn't listen to just one side and come to a conclusion, especially one that doesn't have the preparation, consideration, and objectivity of a good review behind it.

He's a pretty trustworthy guy when it comes to VNs. Plus, I played most of the beginning of the game and I hated it.

It's a shame that many people can't differentiate between something being just bad and hating something on a personal level. It's not the same.
I would even say that something which can trigger deep emotions like hate can't be purely bad. And School Days is certainly the emotion triggering type of visual novel.

It's a polarizing game.  A lot of people hate it, and a lot of people love it.  I wouldn't listen to just one side and come to a conclusion, especially one that doesn't have the preparation, consideration, and objectivity of a good review behind it.

He's a pretty trustworthy guy when it comes to VNs. Plus, I played most of the beginning of the game and I hated it.

The protagonist, Makoto Itou is a cheating scumbag mother trucker and makes me want to punch the goddamn computer screen whenever I see his face but that doesn't make me hate the game. In fact, I think the game is doing a pretty awesome job when it makes you hate a character so badly (especially with villains) and it constantly takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Aoishiro. If I remember well, it has about 50+ different endings and one of the longest scenarios ever.

The protagonist, Makoto Itou is a cheating scumbag mother trucker and makes me want to punch the goddamn computer screen whenever I see his face but that doesn't make me hate the game. In fact, I think the game is doing a pretty awesome job when it makes you hate a character so badly (especially with villains) and it constantly takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride. 

The only problem being the fact Makoto isn't a villain, but the game's protagonist. School Days does deserve a clap for proper usage of choices, but I'd hold on with saying it's a great game; in fact, it's far from perfect and presents a lot more flaws, than strong points.

I know of games that have tons of choices, but as for exactly how much those choices matter... I mean, more SLG-ish games tend to have a lot of choices, but at the same time it's more along the lines of 'what stat do you raise'.  But they're still also technically visual novels.

Straight visual novels... certain ChuableSoft games like Sugar+Spice have a lot of choices, but it's more along the lines of 'go to X place do stuff with heroine' style choice to raise favorability.

Well that depends of the player. He hasn't to be a womanizer if you don't want to...

Aoishiro. If I remember well, it has about 50+ different endings and one of the longest scenarios ever.

The only problem being the fact Makoto isn't a villain, but the game's protagonist. School Days does deserve a clap for proper usage of choices, but I'd hold on with saying it's a great game; in fact, it's far from perfect and presents a lot more flaws, than strong points.

That is a lot of endings reminds me of virtue last reward

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger has a lot of annoying choices that you must make to 100% the story such as: winning the battle, losing the battle, winning without using any specials and picking the right combination of choices.

This was by far the most annoying VN that I have played to fully complete the game.

Blazblue is a fighting game with vn elements. When you lose is not technically choosing, just the game continuing mostly leading to a bad ending.

to finally achieve every ending/get all content in rasen kairou2 is considered a pretty horrendous and exhausting experience

I looked up the game and I was like. Oh oh! Sexxual content combined with gore can't end well. :blink:

I would even say that something which can trigger deep emotions like hate can't be purely bad.

I agree, If you passionately hate a VN you have to care for it first. That is why the one you hate the most and the one you think is the worst are usually different.

Back on the topic I think that the VNs with most choices tend to be the ones with most dead endings, like Aioshiro.

Back on the topic I think that the VNs with most choices tend to be the ones with most dead endings, like Aioshiro.

That's a side-effect of the route structure philosophy most VNs employ. These VNs have a story they want to tell, and too many choices or having too many consequences for your choices introduces too many variables, so most will either have few choices, choices which almost always only effects flavour dialogue, or a lot of bad ends resulting in 'game-overs'.

That's a side-effect of the route structure philosophy most VNs employ. These VNs have a story they want to tell, and too many choices or having too many consequences for your choices introduces too many variables, so most will either have few choices, choices which almost always only effects flavour dialogue, or a lot of bad ends resulting in 'game-overs'.

There are also those ware each choice doesn't effect story much but rather sum of choices that you choose eventually result in different routes, as well as combination of latter 2 cases that you mentioned with this one. 

But yes most VNs tend to avoid having to much variables because more variables means more content that needs to be made witch requires higher budget. True it isn't so much about VNs as it is about any game witch choices, I remember some Bioware's stuff talking about this problem too, even true Bioware has a high budget in the end number of variables you can create in game is always limited with a budget you have and with expectations of income from sales.

I looked up the game and I was like. Oh oh! Sexxual content combined with gore can't end well. :blink:

its not really primiray about the high sexual content, but its context towards real-life that screwes your mind & yeah there are tons of pretty super bad endings, devastating ones mind whilst reading through. took me like ages getting everything

its not really primiray about the high sexual content, but its context towards real-life that screwes your mind & yeah there are tons of pretty super bad endings, devastating ones mind whilst reading through. took me like ages getting everything

The funny thing is the vndb page says nothing. Absolutely nothing about the plot. Well I can imagine is about somekind of sick bastard or group of people taking a liking of the darkside. One of the picturse was showing what it looks like the main character doing nasty stuff. Well in whatever case it is someone seemed to have been posting videos/pictures of their criminal acts on the internet... I can assume the theme is corruption? :mellow:

its about you (mc) leading ahappy lovey-dovey life when you suddenly come across some sort of movie-clip in which a girl seemingly gets raped real hard and worse, who turns out is your beloved waifu, so the fluffy tale of all those considered dear to you getting abducted on order, you setting out to unravel the truth behind it & some real good twists begins. like i already mentioned above this novel disturbs you the more you realize this sort of thing is indeed happening in real-life and the whole matter is a serious problem in japan itself, like minors getting forcefully dragged into av buiseness against the will of theirs, but of course this also goes for other countries.

basically its not necessarily needed reading the so-so rasen kairou1 beforehand, but skipping it is non good either XD

edit: despite the whole sexual-content IT ISNT a (dark) nukige at all. just to be clear

its about you (mc) leading ahappy lovey-dovey life when you suddenly come across some sort of movie-clip in which a girl seemingly gets raped real hard and worse, who turns out is your beloved waifu, so the fluffy tale of all those considered dear to you getting abducted on order, you setting out to unravel the truth behind it & some real good twists begins. like i already mentioned above this novel disturbs you the more you realize this sort of thing is indeed happening in real-life and the whole matter is a serious problem in japan itself, of course it also goes for other countries.

basically its not necessarily needed reading the so-so rasen kairou1 beforehand, but skipping it is non good either XD

I won't deny the plot sound quite interesting too bad I won't be able to play it becuase it is an adult title. And no kidding thing like these actually are happening in the world. Hundred of twisted pages exist dedicated to these twisted practices in the internet. Once on the news a woman was sent to prison becuase she put her daughter inside a microwave like wth? Changing topic I got curious why someone is specifically targeting those related to the protagonist... A cult? A sick organization? A military or experiment program from the government or... (A crazy yandere in love with him abducting the girl he likes thinking that will make him happy?) Dun Dun Dun! :Kappa: