Comic Market Facts

OriginalRen

Interested in a few fun facts about Comiket? Check out some of these charts:

hHWNC5P.png

T9n5y0K.png

tsSg16P.png

While these numbers are from 2008 and earlier, everything has been slowly increasing since then. It goes without saying that the number of attendees and circles has gone up immensely. A few facts about the event:

• Gender fluctuates greatly at the market, however more women frequently attend the event and have circles set up, with a general 70% female to 30% male statistic. With the more recent releases of female oriented manga and anime (i.e. = Free!), women otaku seem to have been the winners in terms of gender attendance and circles in the past few years. This also includes foreign attendees
  • When I attended Comiket 88 in August on the 3rd and final day of the event (Sunday), I was part of the 210,000 people there. The total number of attendees reached a peak of around 550,000 people that weekend
  • Around 11,500 doujinshi circles were present at Comiket 88

Claustrophobic? Imagine walking a floor of 200,000+ people and being shoved around in sweat. Fun times!

I'm baffled as to what the draw for female attendees is.  2D otaku culture seems pretty male-dominated, with most of the releases targeted squarely at males.  Maybe a greater proportion of females attend, while the "silent majority" of males stay home?  I wouldn't be surprised if this "social event modifier" was responsible for the skew.  Seems like males predominate on the Internet (technology modifier), while females are more likely to show up to events (social modifier).  Just a general observation. 

Edited by sanahtlig

I'm baffled as to what the draw for female attendees is.  2D otaku culture seems pretty male-dominated, with most of the releases targeted squarely at males.  Maybe a greater proportion of females attend, while the "silent majority" of males stay home?  I wouldn't be surprised if this "social event modifier" was responsible for the skew.  Seems like males predominate on the Internet (technology modifier), while females are more likely to show up to events (social modifier).  Just a general observation. 

I would like to imagine that the female demographic is the one producing a lot of it comparatively to men.  This is entirely based around stereotyping from anime, but often times rumors are based in reality.

If so, it would make sense that a proportionally large amount of females also falls into general attendance.

I would like to imagine that the female demographic is the one producing a lot of it comparatively to men.  This is entirely based around stereotyping from anime, but often times rumors are based in reality.

That's what I thought as well. I was under the impression that the female demographic has a very strong representation in the field of doujinshi similar to how the female demographic has a very strong representation in fanfiction circles. And Comiket has a very strong doujinshi focus.

I'd sooner read Little Busters! again than I would go to Comiket. 

I’d sooner watch your expression while you read Little Busters again then go to Comiket…

Fujoshi would be my bet.

The series with huge female fanbases aren't just those few aimed solely at women like Free or UtaPri. Series like Attack on Titan, Kuroko no Basuke, Yowamushi Pedal, Haikyuu and etc have huge female fanbases.