Sekai Project cropped G-Senjou no Maou CGs

Rance

Well I am one of those which supported WAS. It was scheduled to release in April. Still waiting... My money was totally wasted here. 

Due to legal issues, on the advice of our lawyers, we cannot talk about WAS - NJ

eta: We are still committed to delivering it, we just can't talk about what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rg7y9/sekai_project_and_rvisualnovels/cwnvo4o 

There's been problems with the Doujin group in Japan, so that project's been a bit of a clusterfuck it sounds like. 

Why should we accept that lame excuse? why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project. sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project and why didn't they tell us on the KS page? And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case? Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?

Come on, stop defending something that cannot be defended. I will love to give a lame excuse like that in my life and get away with it.

When people don't get an answer, they start making conspiracy theories. When people do get an answer, well, they still make conspiracy theories. Literally no way to make people happy, but I guess that's the community for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are saying this basically
 "we don't answer because you are going to start making conspiracy theories"
Will answer you "we cannot answer you "

are you kidding me or talking for real? <--- saying that you cannot answer is not a real answer, specially to us backers who put money into the project and we are financing the company and the novel itself.

I think sekai project should change the company name to "Plead the fifth" is much more fitting.

Edited by Deep Blue

Well I am one of those which supported WAS. It was scheduled to release in April. Still waiting... My money was totally wasted here. 

Due to legal issues, on the advice of our lawyers, we cannot talk about WAS - NJ

eta: We are still committed to delivering it, we just can't talk about what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rg7y9/sekai_project_and_rvisualnovels/cwnvo4o 

There's been problems with the Doujin group in Japan, so that project's been a bit of a clusterfuck it sounds like. 

Why should we accept that lame excuse? why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project. sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project and why didn't they tell us on the KS page? And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case? Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?

Come on, stop defending something that cannot be defended. I will love to give a lame excuse like that in my life and get away with it.

When people don't get an answer, they start making conspiracy theories. When people do get an answer, well, they still make conspiracy theories. Literally no way to make people happy, but I guess that's the community for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

are you kidding me or talking for real?

I think sekai project should change the company name to "Plead the fifth" is much more fitting.

I don't know how you made that logic jump, but the whole premise of that statement is flawed because the question at hand was answered... Once upon a time I thought you were one of the few people who actually had sense in this community, but now I'm not so sure anymore

I don't know how you made that logic jump, but the whole premise of that statement is flawed because the question at hand was answered... Once upon a time I thought you were one of the few people who actually had sense in this community, but now I'm not so sure anymore

Lets start again, leaving aside what sekai "can't talk" about because of legal issues, still doesn't explain why they didn't inform the backers that they weren't' handling the project from the very start or did I understand wrong what sekai project told me? sic " All production work was managed by the circle initially. After September of this year we've taken over." That cannot be related to a legal issue because it was prior to the campaign itself when sekai project didnt even have a contract with S.R.L. at that time, or am I wrong? 

Why should we accept that lame excuse?[1] why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project.[2] sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project[3] and why didn't they tell us on the KS page?[4] And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case?[5] Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?[6]  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?[7]

[1] Anybody familiar with such processes knows it isn’t actually a lame excuse. The business world isn't a friendly place, in case you aren't aware. Take a deeeeeep breath Deep Blue, because asking questions while unwilling to accept any answers merely because you want to ‘maintain the rage’ is a philosophy I stopped entertaining a long time ago.

[2] Apart from the section on the Kickstarter page where SRL THEY were enhancing the game, optimising systems, and preparing it for overseas release?

[3] You backed Sekai to get a product.

[4] Because internal business operations are generally none of your business? Sekai aren’t the only ones that have to bow down to the wishes of Japanese Developers, it’s fairly common knowledge that they hold considerable sway and veto power. And some pretty lofty expectations, and weird ways to conduct businesses. A lot of JAST's delays wouldn't happen if working with Japanese Devs were all rainbows and lollipops.

[5] To localise the game.

[6] I'm not saying this to be mean, but that sentence is completely incomprehensible to me, but that sounded fairly conspiracy in any case.

[7] Probably because as a young company just starting out and uncertain of how things are done, they were unsure of what they could and could not disclose to the public? It is obvious there is much they cannot disclose.

I make it a point not to defend the indefensible, but people angry at Sekai tend to feel the need to justify the rage with weak excuses . Do you have a right to be disappointed and angry? Sure. But I draw a line at conspiracy theories, and mob-like or abusive behaviour. That isn't good.

Lets start again, leaving aside what sekai "can't talk" about because of legal issues, still doesn't explain why they didn't inform the backers that they weren't' handling the project from the very start or did I understand wrong what sekai project told me? sic " All production work was managed by the circle initially. After September of this year we've taken over." That cannot be related to a legal issue because it was prior to the campaign itself when sekai project didnt even have a contract with S.R.L. at that time, or am I wrong? 

Why does... that even matter...? And why is that surprising at all? Sekai Project is a publishing company - almost all of the games were produced by companies other than SP. You're basically getting the same product no matter what, so let's not blow something so minuscule out of proportion (like that hasn't been done enough...)

Why should we accept that lame excuse?[1] why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project.[2] sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project[3] and why didn't they tell us on the KS page?[4] And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case?[5] Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?[6]  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?[7]

[1] Anybody familiar with such processes knows it isn’t actually a lame excuse. The business world isn't a friendly place, in case you aren't aware. Take a deeeeeep breath Deep Blue, because asking questions while unwilling to accept any answers merely because you want to ‘maintain the rage’ is a philosophy I stopped entertaining a long time ago.

[2] Apart from the section on the Kickstarter page where SRL THEY were enhancing the game, optimising systems, and preparing it for overseas release?

[4] Because internal business operations are generally none of your business? Sekai aren’t the only ones that have to bow down to the wishes of Japanese Developers, it’s fairly common knowledge that they hold considerable sway and veto power. And some pretty lofty expectations, and weird ways to conduct businesses. A lot of JAST's delays wouldn't happen if working with Japanese Devs were all rainbows and lollipops.

[6] I'm not saying this to be mean, but that sentence is completely incomprehensible to me, but that sounded fairly conspiracy in any case.

[7] Probably because as a young company just starting out and uncertain of how things are done, they were unsure of what they could and could not disclose to the public? It is obvious there is much they cannot disclose.

I make it a point not to defend the indefensible, but people angry at Sekai tend to feel the need to justify the rage with weak excuses . Do you have a right to be disappointed and angry? Sure. But I draw a line at conspiracy theories, and mob-like or abusive behaviour. That isn't good.

I won't follow this topic and this conversation further on because it won't change anything and I'm really tired about this issue with WAS, Senjou and everything else related with this.

I just wanna say that sekai project was the one that funded the project they gave their company name to S.R.L to finance their game, we pledged to them (SP) and not to S.R.L even if they are saying that they are not keeping the money (which im sure is true) they still are jointly liable with S.R.L for this issue. This was a big mistake on part of SP and I'm mad because they can't apologize to the backers, everyone makes mistakes specially in the business world but if you do something wrong, because is clear that helping S.R.L or whatever the company that is making WAS it was a poor choice of Sekai project (and yes it is our problem because we as backers are in the middle of this problem) and the least thing they can do is to say it "yeah we got screwed up, we are sorry about it" and not just come up with the legal issue thing, and if they can't say it directly because they can get into trouble there are tons of way of saying it... without being so direct about the issue.

I won't follow this topic and this conversation further on because it won't change anything and I'm really tired about this issue with WAS, Senjou and everything else related with this.

I just wanna say that sekai project was the one that funded the project they gave their company name to S.R.L to finance their game, we pledged to them (SP) and not to S.R.L even if they are saying that they are not keeping the money (which im sure is true) they still are jointly liable with S.R.L for this issue. This was a big mistake on part of SP and I'm mad because they can't apologize to the backers, everyone makes mistakes specially in the business world but if you do something wrong, because is clear that helping S.R.L or whatever the company that is making WAS it was a poor choice of Sekai project (and yes it is our problem because we as backers are in the middle of this problem) and the least thing they can do is to say it "yeah we got screwed up, we are sorry about it" and not just come up with the legal issue thing. 

Or maybe there really were legal issues...? I don't know why you're so adamant on writing it off as an excuse, but if that's the attitude you're going to take then it really doesn't matter whether SP gives an answer or not because you're so dead set on hating on them.

Also, I'm not sure if you fully understand how a publishing company works. Might want to do a bit of research before you start pointing fingers.

I just wanna say that sekai project was the one that funded the project they gave their company name to S.R.L to finance their game, we pledged to them (SP) and not to S.R.L even if they are saying that they are not keeping the money (which im sure is true) they still are jointly liable with S.R.L for this issue. This was a big mistake on part of SP and I'm mad because they can't apologize to the backers, everyone makes mistakes specially in the business world but if you do something wrong, because is clear that helping S.R.L or whatever the company that is making WAS it was a poor choice of Sekai project (and yes it is our problem because we as backers are in the middle of this problem) and the least thing they can do is to say it "yeah we got screwed up, we are sorry about it" and not just come up with the legal issue thing. 

Or maybe there really were legal issues...? I don't know why you're so adamant on writing it off as an excuse, but if that's the attitude you're going to take then it really doesn't matter whether SP gives an answer or not because you're so dead set on hating on them.

Also, I'm not sure if you fully understand how a publishing company works. Might want to do a bit of research before you start pointing fingers.

you forgot the last part I wrote "and if they can't say it directly because they can get into trouble there are tons of way of saying it... without being so direct about the issue."

Why should we accept that lame excuse? why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project. sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project and why didn't they tell us on the KS page? And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case? Something isn't right.

I'm sorry that you think that way now, to be honest this is the first time I have such a grudge against a company I do not like to bash against anyone but if I think that something is not right or is unfair I will try to defend it or at least state my opinion I will hear opinions and others arguments too, maybe I am wrong, after all I'm just a random guy on the internet I don't own the truth either. 

I just wish that SP could be (and specially in the past) a little bit more..how should I say it upfront and a bit more communicative about some issues. I backed many projects on KS also on indiegogo and this is the first time I have this type of problem.

Edited by Deep Blue

WinterfuryZX, I think this is possible to do. I believe even I can do it :) Just as we would have only 800x600 4:3 CG they would look kinda bad (in case if they used high-resx and not upscale).

/upd OH SHI~! Look what I found!

Background images are ALREADY high resx 1100x900! They were intentionally cropped before output on screen in the game!! While resource files are still big ones, like this:

Iv7ZCaU.jpg

So it is absolutely possible to make high-resx version for whole game, I believe that's what AB2 done. And no problem to do a patch which would show scaled width image for 800x600 (and not just part of it like it shows now on Rooke screenshot), without any need to rebuy Sekai version just for backgrounds.

Unfortunately all CG are 800x600, so they seems upscaled them? Or they still had old mockups in higher resx? Will see later.

a lesson i learned in life & whilst working for various fellows, is that continuously beating around the bush will screw you up big time in the end. buiseness-, or public relation-wise there´s simply nothing worse than a "maybee".
if theres something to state, of which you are personally sure of then tell them "yes", otherwise a clear "no" worded in a polite manner is the right thing to decide on, even if it may result in some people getting abit disappointed by doing so. this is still better than taking the gamble of provoking a real hatestorm, if the "maybee" is misinterpreted as a possible "yes" by them and might turn into the opposite meaning, which is how a sound mind usually works by expecting/ hoping for the best results only, instead of assuming a negative outcome when non explicitly stated so.
aside from that is a "no" in this case conducive for relieving the employees of stress, or obviating an athmosphere of angst and fear, when its non clear to them if things possibly wont end up like planned.
but whats most important, is that a "no", given the right circumstances, can become a potential "yes" ergo turning disappointment into pure joy, wheras the chances of accomplishing its opposite reaction plus avoid generating an anti hype are virtually zero.
furthermore the usuage of "yes", or "no", or to be more precise the making of statements in a non ambiguous manner is undeniably asign of strength, or determination - which ultimately leads to customers feeling secure the more when unsure from the beginning if to decide on carry out commerce with the one in question, or better avoid it, increasing the tend of them doing so in the end.
another positive aspect of non giving in to vague wordings, is that by doing so, you appear more human, btw. more likeable in public, instead of having an aura of unsecureness surrounding you, or even worse like beeing seen as a greedy one, trying to keep as many people interested in buying something by your side, when puposefully letting them stay in the dark.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy it on Steam. It's only like $14 right now as its opening sale which is good. (Regular price $20) I don't like that the CGs are cropped and it doesn't include the H-scenes, but on the other hand I want them to continue releasing VNs in an official and convenient manner so I'm torn... 

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy it on Steam. It's only like $14 right now as its opening sale which is good. (Regular price $20) I don't like that the CGs are cropped and it doesn't include the H-scenes, but on the other hand I want them to continue releasing VNs in an official and convenient manner so I'm torn... 

Shadowwolf64 I must warn you the version that cost 14 dollars is the one without voices. The one including voices cost more.

14 dollars for the voiceless edition, if you are going to buy it then you should buy it with voices, it's another whole experience also the voice acting is really good like in most of the akabei novels.

shadowwolf64 I must warn you the version that cost 14 dollars is the one without voices. The one including voices cost more.

14 dollars for the voiceless edition, if you are going to buy it then you should buy it with voices, it's another whole experience also the voice acting is really good like in most of the akabei novels.

Ah thanks for that. I would have bought the wrong one. And I do want to read it but I would like to see the definitive version which appears to be none of them at the moment. Since the new version looks better but is cropped and missing content. 

Edited by shadowolf64
Weird formating

I finally read through the thread and it looks like this is what happened:

1. People complain on the Steam forums that G-senjou's "HD" CG are cropped.
  2. Sekai Project deletes the threads.
  3. Users on Reddit and elsewhere go ballistic because *coverup*.
  4. Sekai Project makes a vague statement that they're not allowed to speak on the subject at this time, and that they'll delete all Steam discussions about it.
  5. Sekai Project (likely after consulting with Akabei Soft) makes a statement that the cropping was Akabei Soft's decision.  They sticky this in the Steam forums.
  6. Criticism mostly dies down.
  7. Sanahtlig sees this topic and reacts to 1-3 before reading up on later developments.

In any case, Sekai Project handled this poorly.  They shouldn't have started deleting threads until they had a complete announcement available.  As usual, their PR leaves much to be desired.

Moral of the story: For Christ's sake update the OP with a link to Sekai Project's official Steam sticky so these misunderstandings won't continue to be propagated.

Do note that 5. is not true anymore. It is not stickied, it is just locked and no more at the first page of the forum. I think that is scummy way to hide it from people while still claiming that it is their public statement.

Overall I personally find the whole debacle silly, but I also think that it is obvious that some people do find cropping CGs to be very bad. That is good enough reason why it should be publicly stated.

After having read the reddit post, I really do have to agree that this specific community (the VN community) is very easily offended and quick to overreact over every little thing. I remember when all the FuwaMods swapped their forum avatars with each other's and they suddenly got called out for being unprofessional and immature. Like what the fuck lol. Mods aren't allowed to have a bit of fun now? I don't know what attributes to this - maybe it's because a majority of the fanbase are literally teens - but it's ridiculous how butthurt people get over nothing

What does the Fuwa mods avatar swap have to do with anything?  But since you brought it up...

I was irritated because they chose to do it during a controversy that was important to me (the loli debacle I think?).  The prank added confusion to an already chaotic situation, and contributed to the ultimate lack of resolution.  I'm sure they thought it was funny, but it seemed to me like they were saying, "We're done taking this situation seriously."

Edited by sanahtlig

Yeah man, why even bother trying to improve amirite. Those guys are just a bunch of teens and pirates who weren't going to buy the game anyways, let's just appeal to the community on steam that doesn't know any better. Even though those other guys gave us their money and supported us up till this point, they don't count.

If the only reason you want to buy it is to support the industry, then no, that's not a good idea.  You should buy things you want.  If you don't and buy things for other reasons, it sends the wrong message.

Hmmm... This is a hard one. I can imagine if SP did not exist, most of these titles would never be sold in the Western market. A decent version is better than nothing? Though since they're already doing it they might as well do it well.

Did we even determine if it's SP fault, I thought Akabeisoft2 was the one who decides if it's cropped or not?

If the only reason you want to buy it is to support the industry, then no, that's not a good idea.  You should buy things you want.  If you don't and buy things for other reasons, it sends the wrong message.

Hmmm... This is a hard one. I can imagine if SP did not exist, most of these titles would never be sold in the Western market. A decent version is better than nothing? Though since they're already doing it they might as well do it well.

Did we even determine if it's SP fault, I thought Akabeisoft2 was the one who decides if it's cropped or not?

So did you literally say we must support anything translated even if the game is broken to the level like my heart have wings because if we don't and it's flopped then no more translated games from the developer?

Are you serious?

Well, if you have read this VN already and you really liked it/love it I don't see a point why you shouldn't buy it to support dev/pub and get more of their titles o_O? 

G-Senjou is still one of the best titles for people starting VN journey, so SP decided to license it and upgrade and finally release on Steam(and hopefully off-steam too) If there will be Denpa release, I'll buy 18+ version for sure, if there will be some kind of patch to Steam release version which unlocks H-Scenes, and it'll be released at later date without game being on discount, I'll probably won't buy it then, I'll wait for another sale. I still think that hardcore VN fans shouldn't go up with all this cutting h-scenes/steam release/all-ages version/psvita ports bullshit, cause it's like giving in. You buy once, you'll get the same sh** next time :/

Supporting IMHHW (I mean the publisher in that case) is a bad idea, cause it's crappy translated, and they're not willing to fix it.