Sekai Project cropped G-Senjou no Maou CGs

Rance

Hmmm... This is a hard one. I can imagine if SP did not exist, most of these titles would never be sold in the Western market. A decent version is better than nothing? Though since they're already doing it they might as well do it well.

Did we even determine if it's SP fault, I thought Akabeisoft2 was the one who decides if it's cropped or not?

I meant that you shouldn't buy things just to support an industry.  There are people on Steam saying that we should buy Kagura Douchuuki because it'll help get more Japanese titles translated and on Steam.  That is incredibly dumb, since it's a machine TL'd piece of gutted crap.  If anything, blindly supporting companies like Debonosu will just result in the continuation of those shitty business practices and even more poorly translated, utterly gutted titles shoved onto Steam for a quick buck.  In that case, "supporting the industry" would not be in anyone's benefit but Debonosu's because they don't seem to care about making a good product.

I'm not saying, "Don't buy SP products," I'm saying, "Don't buy SP products that you don't want just to support them."  There's no reason to artificially support a company that should be surviving by delivering you quality products that you like.  Stuff like that tends to encourage bad business practices because if there's a market that will buy products no matter what you do, then there's no reason for the producer to give a crap what they want.  I don't hear anyone saying that we should go and buy every MangaGamer and JAST-published VN, so I don't get why SP should be any different.

If the only reason you want to buy it is to support the industry, then no, that's not a good idea.  You should buy things you want.  If you don't and buy things for other reasons, it sends the wrong message.

Hmmm... This is a hard one. I can imagine if SP did not exist, most of these titles would never be sold in the Western market. A decent version is better than nothing? Though since they're already doing it they might as well do it well.

Did we even determine if it's SP fault, I thought Akabeisoft2 was the one who decides if it's cropped or not?

So did you literally say we must support anything translated even if the game is broken to the level like my heart have wings because if we don't and it's flopped then no more translated games from the developer?

Are you serious?

Nope, I didn't say that. I said a decent version. For me, if the only issue is a cropped image, so be it. I can live with that.

I don't understand why everyone is so passionate to argue here. It's not like we're going to change anything. Go talk with SP.

regardless of anything mentioned before, i sincerely hope they didnt skip btw skimp on the proofreading/quality-check parts again, like its been the case before - namely world end eco2, where it got worse as the story progressed, considering it took them almost up to a year for releasing a game that short, when still retaining typos over typos & else, considering g-sensou has been announced just few months ago and things might gotten rushed to meat a possible deadline (i´m well aware its based on a fan-tl, which has been worked on).

If the only reason you want to buy it is to support the industry, then no, that's not a good idea.  You should buy things you want.  If you don't and buy things for other reasons, it sends the wrong message.

So did you literally say we must support anything translated even if the game is broken to the level like my heart have wings because if we don't and it's flopped then no more translated games from the developer?

Are you serious?

Nope, I didn't say that. I said a decent version. For me, if the only issue is a cropped image, so be it. I can live with that.

I don't understand why everyone is so passionate to argue here. It's not like we're going to change anything. Go talk with SP.

The more we just let these garbage quality vns get through, the more companies just do whatever they want without caring what the customers think. To get rid of this arrogant/baseless attitude of developers, we need to give them all the spite and piece of our minds until they get ear cancer and not buy their products if they continue to release half finished trash, terrible translation, many cut/censored content, and all other things they could do wrong to visual novels.

The more we just let these garbage quality vns get through, the more companies just do whatever they want without caring what the customers think. To get rid of this arrogant/baseless attitude of developers, we need to give them all the spite and piece of our minds until they get ear cancer and not buy their products if they continue to release half finished trash, terrible translation, many cut/censored content, and all other things they could do wrong to visual novels.

So you mean for us to not be like the people who fucked up the games industry?

HAH!

In all honesty, I agree, but the chances of it happening are low.

I meant that you shouldn't buy things just to support an industry.  There are people on Steam saying that we should buy Kagura Douchuuki because it'll help get more Japanese titles translated and on Steam.  That is incredibly dumb, since it's a machine TL'd piece of gutted crap.  If anything, blindly supporting companies like Debonosu will just result in the continuation of those shitty business practices and even more poorly translated, utterly gutted titles shoved onto Steam for a quick buck.  In that case, "supporting the industry" would not be in anyone's benefit but Debonosu's because they don't seem to care about making a good product.

I'm not saying, "Don't buy SP products," I'm saying, "Don't buy SP products that you don't want just to support them."  There's no reason to artificially support a company that should be surviving by delivering you quality products that you like.  Stuff like that tends to encourage bad business practices because if there's a market that will buy products no matter what you do, then there's no reason for the producer to give a crap what they want.  I don't hear anyone saying that we should go and buy every MangaGamer and JAST-published VN, so I don't get why SP should be any different.

Exactly.

Something that really gets under my skin with SP is how they put basically no work into 80% of their releases, instead they just take a previous fan translation, maybe change the CG's like they did with G-Senjou, censor it, and then put it up for sale. I know that they have every right to take the fan TL's and use them for their releases, but the fact that they are taking all these fan TL groups hard work and using it to make a profit just bothers me on a moral level. Of course they do don't this with absolutely everything, see..Clannad (which I still don't know how they haven't finished it yet, are they in an endless circlejerk or something?). 

Edit: Also, this doesn't apply to SP alone, this applies to any company that does this.

Edited by Mugi

I know that they have every right to take the fan TL's and use them for their releases, but the fact that they are taking all these fan TL groups hard work and using it to make a profit just bothers me on a moral level.

You do realize they're paying the translators/editors/coders for this right? You can't grab an illegal translation off the internet and use it commercially even if you have the rights.

Of course they do don't this with absolutely everything, see..Clannad (which I still don't know how they haven't finished it yet, are they in an endless circlejerk or something?). 

Actually its pretty worrying that they are as close to finishing it as they are. It's supposed to be coming out later this month and considering the how huge Clannad is it certainly doesn't bode well for the quality of the translation. It's going to be a massive improvement over the original TL no doubt but there's pretty big risk of a rush job.

I know that they have every right to take the fan TL's and use them for their releases, but the fact that they are taking all these fan TL groups hard work and using it to make a profit just bothers me on a moral level.

You do realize they're paying the translators/editors/coders for this right? You can't grab an illegal translation off the internet and use it commercially even if you have the rights.

Oh, is that so? In that case, I take back what I said. Are the translations themselves illegal, though? I thought there was nothing wrong with purchasing the Japanese version of a game and getting an english patch for it.

Oh, is that so? In that case, I take back what I said. Are the translations themselves illegal, though? I thought there was nothing wrong with purchasing the Japanese version of a game and getting an english patch for it.

Translating something you don't own isn't illegal but sharing that translation is.

I meant that you shouldn't buy things just to support an industry.  There are people on Steam saying that we should buy Kagura Douchuuki because it'll help get more Japanese titles translated and on Steam.  That is incredibly dumb, since it's a machine TL'd piece of gutted crap.

That's... actually not true.  The promotional materials and developer communications are machine translated.  The game is not.  Debonosu is doing their very best to convince people the game is machine translated, but it isn't.  The translation isn't great (it's poorly edited), but it's passable based on the first few minutes I played of it.  Of course the game is still an eroge without the ero, so people should avoid it for that reason alone.

Edited by sanahtlig

Translating something you don't own isn't illegal but sharing that translation is.

It's not illegal, yet, at least in the United States.  It falls in a grey area. Distribution with original material is though, as that falls under larceny.

I meant that you shouldn't buy things just to support an industry.  There are people on Steam saying that we should buy Kagura Douchuuki because it'll help get more Japanese titles translated and on Steam.  That is incredibly dumb, since it's a machine TL'd piece of gutted crap.

That's... actually not true.  The promotional materials and developer communications are machine translated.  The game is not.  Debonosu is doing their very best to convince people the game is machine translated, but it isn't.  The translation isn't great (it's poorly edited), but it's passable based on the first few minutes I played of it.  Of course the game is still an eroge without the ero, so people should avoid it for that reason alone.

Well, that's a bit of a surprise.  It looked pretty bad from the screenshots, and I thought if they couldn't even put in the effort to translate their own responses (I noticed that they still haven't changed the description from the one that Sekai Project provided free of charge; it's still in future tense) that odds are the game itself was machine TL'd.  I stand corrected.  Still, though, if it's a meh translation with poor editing, that doesn't make it much better.

It's not illegal, yet, at least in the United States.  It falls in a grey area. 

Untested in court.

Which makes sense I suppose

You're probably more likely to get sued for downloading pirated music than you are for downloading/making fan translations. Copyright laws in the US might as well not exist as they are now amiright.

• 4 weeks later...

So I can confirm that Sekai Project is heavily screening conversation on Steam.  I made a slightly abrasive comment (nothing out of the norm for me) a couple of paragraphs long about fonts in the Clannad forum a few weeks ago, not targeted at a specific user or even at Sekai Project, and I checked the thread again and my comment is gone.  The comment was completely on-topic (the thread was complaining about the default font used in Clannad).

I hate being censored, especially for no good reason.  Sekai Project can join MangaGamer on my list of VN publishers I won't be purchasing from.

Edited by sanahtlig

I see only one deleted post (deleted by yourself) from you in a font thread, could you indicate which thread you were referring to? - NJ

I...uh...yeah.  I pieced that memory together completely wrong.  I completely forgot that I deleted the post--I just remembered that I wrote it and it was gone and assumed it was deleted by moderators like so many other discussions on Steam lately.

I apologize for the false accusation. >.>;

I didn't realize you posted here, but uh.. keep up the good work!