Sekai Project cropped G-Senjou no Maou CGs

Rance

Actually pretty nice how whole thread suddenly became filled with dovac and Sekai project fans

The only place you'll find majority community support for hatred of Dovac is on 4chan. I could make some disparaging comments here about the nature of 4chan and possible reasons why they hate Dovac, but I don't feel the need to. They're pretty well known ;) 

After having read the reddit post, I really do have to agree that this specific community (the VN community) is very easily offended and quick to overreact over every little thing. I remember when all the FuwaMods swapped their forum avatars with each other's and they suddenly got called out for being unprofessional and immature. Like what the fuck lol. Mods aren't allowed to have a bit of fun now? I don't know what attributes to this - maybe it's because a majority of the fanbase are literally teens - but it's ridiculous how butthurt people get over nothing

What is the problem with the statement about KS which resulted dovac being filthy rich? :) By me all is exactly true. Anyway, whole point is that KS getting millions without any real work would result in companies like MG and Jast going into think "what the hell?? we do all work on our own money, spend years in translations and in the end get 500000$ max in 2 years, while SP does nothing, except KS and get billions even without doing anything, and more - based on fan translations!". Not fair, so I suppose soon MG would start making KS campaigns as well and after would be Jast. This is why this whole idea is worst possible one, as Sekai is not motivated to deliver quality product at all - of course, I would not be motivated as well, if I got million dollars without doing anything :)

Since when was planning, running, coming up with rewards, and advertising a KickStarter - on top of the translation itself - any less work?

Yeah, impoverished Raymond working only for fans, eating instant ramen and all going for games... Do you believe this yourself? Imagine, how you got more than $1,400,000 (that's only for KS projects, and how much he got outside that?) and "live impoverished life"?... Unbelieveable, by me.

I can't exactly make you like him, but I'd appreciate it if you stopped making baseless slander about dovac. If you've seen his Twitter at all, you'd see that he's really not eating well (if at all, save for the 20 cans of Red Bull daily). I'm not speaking as an employee or anything, but he was a really kind and down-to-earth person when I met him even before I started working for the company. I first approached him at the SP booth at SakuraCon last year and to be honest I was slightly intimidated about talking to Sekai's CEO. In the end, he was very welcoming, and not in a superficial marketing/business type of way. Maybe he rubs off on people the wrong way online, although I've personally never experienced this. But you have to realize that even though he's the co-founder of SP, he's also a regular person, and you can't always expect him to be talking on behalf of his position as the CEO of SP. People take his comments on his personal account as bad PR for some reason when he's not even talking on behalf of the company. Sure, his words do hold weight, but can't he just speak his mind as an individual for once without getting grilled about it? I noticed a lot of people talking about freedom of speech or something, so I find this to be a tad bit ironic.

Maybe SP could take criticism better, but I find that people are just really bad at criticism on the internet even if they don't know it. A portion of the people genuinely have complaints but don't actually know how things work, resulting in unreasonable suggestions. Some simply complain because they want to stir shit up. And there are those who actually give helpful critique but are drowned out by all the flaming and complaining that really helps no one at all. Not to mention, most of the flaming is based on assumptions and ignorance. If I were the CEO of a company, I'd be more than a bit annoyed at this.

Also, @ OP,

Whether you agree with it or not, you were banned for promoting piracy and that is what you did. Maybe you're upset because you were banned without a second chance, but this industry takes piracy very seriously. I hope you don't think you're special or anything, because many people are banned on Steam every single day for more ridiculous reasons (although people normally write up an appeal instead of an entire paragraph to call out the company in question about it).

Pretty snide remarks from a Sekai employee, as expected. Maybe you should actually take the time to read the forum properly. Any kind of feedback or criticism that could potentially harm your sales is considered "Promoting Piracy" to you.  You've just proved my point, because you came here specifically to mock the audience who disagrees with you, like Sekai always does. You must feel pretty offended yourself as an employee. I hope you don't think you're special or anything, because people boycott companies for less every single day for more ridiculous reasons (although people normally don't give them the chance to improve first).   Go on you had your say, now you can run back to your employees and tell them how you really put us in our place. You represent your company perfectly.

After having read the reddit post, I really do have to agree that this specific community (the VN community) is very easily offended and quick to overreact over every little thing. I remember when all the FuwaMods swapped their forum avatars with each other's and they suddenly got called out for being unprofessional and immature. Like what the fuck lol. Mods aren't allowed to have a bit of fun now? I don't know what attributes to this - maybe it's because a majority of the fanbase are literally teens - but it's ridiculous how butthurt people get over nothing

Unfortunately that's just the way the internet is these days. It's the trend to act as offended as humanly possible at the smallest slight, and whenever something happens that people don't like, no matter how insignificant it may be, they yell and scream until someone addresses the issue. Or doesn't and then they forget a week later.

edit: See above. lmao.

The only place you'll find majority community support for hatred of Dovac is on 4chan. I could make some disparaging comments here about the nature of 4chan and possible reasons why they hate Dovac, but I don't feel the need to. They're pretty well known ;) 

What kind of self-respecting person does even read 4c nowadays?

Oh, wait...

:makina:

Pretty snide remarks from a Sekai employee, as expected. Maybe you should actually take the time to read the forum properly. Any kind of feedback or criticism that could potentially harm your sales is considered "Promoting Piracy" to you.  You've just proved my point, because you came here specifically to mock the audience who disagrees with you, like Sekai always does. You must feel pretty offended yourself as an employee. I hope you don't think you're special or anything, because people boycott companies for less every single day for more ridiculous reasons (although people normally don't give them the chance to improve first).   Go on you had your say, now you can run back to your employees and tell them how you really put us in our place. You represent your company perfectly.

Actually, I'm a contractee. I work freelance so I don't do work specifically for SP, though that's where a lot of my workload is from at the moment :illya:

I see that you're not taking this ban quite well though, despite stating that you didn't care before. If you honestly think that saying "I honestly recommend the original version with the fan patch instead" is okay on the G-Senjou forum, then just wow lol. Politely-worded or not, both threads were closed for the same reason (and it wasn't because they weren't being polite).

It’s an internet-wide phenomenon. I was on the Bethesda forums when their fanbase melted the joint for a year after Oblivion. The same thing happened with Mass Effect over the ending. More angst over Diablo 3.  It’s happening all the freaking time these days, and yet the quality of the stuff we’re getting is consistently high. I remember the good old days when people voted with their wallet and didn’t whinge so much, it was much quieter…

I should also point out to all those young hippies talking of boycotts and who think people power on the internet is all-rad: Bethesda faced a huge revolt from their loyal fanbase after they went in another direction with Oblivion -> look at the effect it had on Skyrim. Mass Effect faced a huge boycott over Mass Effect -> look at DA:O, in fact we were facing the ‘death of Bioware’ if you all recall. Boycotts only work when you have the majority of people on your side, more often than not you guys only have the noisy protest vote.

What kind of self-respecting person does even read 4c nowadays?

Oh, wait...

:makina:

I like to hang there when I'm in a certain mood, but I don't pretend it isn't a slummy place. I'm used to it though because RPGCodex is my favourite haunt and it's pretty much 4chan for old-school RPGers.

Edited by Rooke

Actually, I'm a contractee. I work freelance so I don't do work specifically for SP, though that's where a lot of my workload is from at the moment :illya:

I see that you're not taking this ban quite well though, despite stating that you didn't care before. If you honestly think that saying "I honestly recommend the original version with the fan patch instead" is okay on the G-Senjou forum, then just wow lol. Politely-worded or not, both threads were closed for the same reason (and it wasn't because they weren't being polite).

I'm not surprised, considering both of the topics were actually outright promoting piracy; meaningful criticism/discussion, or not - you do not post such statements on devs' (semi)official message boards, otherwise you'll always end with the same kind of result.

It’s an internet-wide phenomenon. I was on the Bethesda forums when their fanbase melted the joint for a year after Oblivion. The same thing happened with Mass Effect over the ending. More angst over Diablo 3.  It’s happening all the freaking time these days, and yet the quality of the stuff we’re getting is consistently high. I remember the good old days when people voted with their wallet and didn’t whinge so much, it was much quieter…

I should also point out to all those young hippies who think people power on the internet is all-rad: Bethesda faced a huge revolt from their loyal fanbase after they went in another direction with Oblivion -> look at the effect it had on Skyrim. Mass Effect faced a huge boycott over Mass Effect -> look at DA:O, in fact we were facing the ‘death of Bioware’ if you all recall.

It's not even any sort of a phenomenon. It's the time and age we live in; nowadays everyone simply expects they're allowed to do everything on the internet, including spouting loads of incredible bullshit and the angry mob became a bunch of whiny kids, often arguing about the most ridiculous and redundant of matters.

At least I tend to laugh a lot more often than I used to :makina:

Rooke, I do not want support here, I want Sekai to stop avoiding VN fans who disagree with them like fire and start giving real feedbacks. I have stated the issues, do they really have any official reply? Why I can come on Jast forums and ask questions I want and got reply, why I cannot do same with Sekai? Disdain. That's the thing I hate the most.

Rooke, I do not want support here, I want Sekai to stop avoiding VN fans who disagree with them like fire and start giving real feedbacks. I have stated the issues, do they really have any official reply? Why I can come on Jast forums and ask questions I want and got reply, why I cannot do same with Sekai? Disdain. That's the thing I hate the most.

Maybe you should change the way you tend to approach them, if the current one isn't working. Maybe they have an exact reason to avoid communicating with certain individuals and communities? Eitherway, the only thing I see here is a one-sided anger over the fact a publisher is openly ignoring a part of it's community, which it certainly has the right to.

There's way too much overreacting over the smallest of things.

Maybe you should change the way you tend to approach them, if the current one isn't working. Maybe they have an exact reason to avoid communicating with certain individuals and communities? Eitherway, the only thing I see here is a one-sided anger over the fact a publisher is openly ignoring a part of it's community, which it certainly has the right to.

There's certainly way too much overreacting over the smallest of things.

You're giving too much credit to Sekai. You did not read the topic, so in short I had a quite good opinion and polite attitude towards Sekai, before they started that mess with G-Senjou. After that answers and form of replies dovac gave me really infuriated me so I became sort of hater. Does not change anything, that's just for your information.

There's way too much overreacting over the smallest of things.

Like I said before:

"People are just really bad at criticism on the internet even if they don't know it. A portion of the people genuinely have complaints but don't actually know how things work, resulting in unreasonable suggestions. Some simply complain because they want to stir shit up. And there are those who actually give helpful critique but are drowned out by all the flaming and complaining that really helps no one at all. Not to mention, most of the flaming is based on assumptions and ignorance."

That said, there's really no reason or benefit to blatantly ignore good criticism unless your feedback is just really bad. People have written well-structured statements describing how SP needs to step up their PR game, and they have acted on that by hiring new PR people. So Scorp, I imagine you must have unintentionally said something that would make people think you are being confrontational. Maybe you could post a link or screenshot to the exact questions you posted.

I wouldn’t rush to assumptions just yet. They’re still finding their feet so mistakes are natural, they’ve been of a different nature than JAST and MG made but that’s natural too. You have to remember that there isn’t much money to be made in Visual Novels, it’s not the sort of industry you’d rush into to make a quick buck, so you wouldn’t enter the industry unless you were doing it for the right sort of reasons.

As Darbury said earlier in this thread, there is a shit-ton of red-tape to navigate when you catapult yourself into this sort of business atmosphere, not to mention Sekai sort to expand quickly, not to mention they tried to do it with minimal staff. Lots of pressure, lots of work,  learning to swim by leaping in and trying not to drown etc etc. It’s only natural for mistakes to occur, but people are very quick to judge and leap to conclusions these days. They've definitely made some missteps but to flay them for it is quite harsh. You seem to think they have a lot of influence over Japanese devs, but I think you'll find that Mr New-company Sekai needs them more than Established-Japanese-Devs need Sekai, so you have the power inbalance around the wrong way. Especially considering Japanese Devs are starting to look at localising themselves.

Also, this is all happening while Dovac is fighting a legal battle over WAS for the fan's benefit.

It's not even any sort of a phenomenon. It's the time and age we live in; nowadays everyone simply expects they're allowed to do everything on the internet, including spouting loads of incredible bullshit and the angry mob became a bunch of whiny kids, often arguing about the most ridiculous and redundant of matters.

At least I tend to laugh a lot more often than I used to :makina:

I keep saying that the internet's gonna be censored one day, and it'll be the people's fault for just becoming TOO crazy.

That's not promoting piracy. It's promoting imports.  Again, if you bothered to read the forum, you can see the second thread made by maou didn't even mention the fan patch anywhere.  It was strictly informative. You can see it right there in the OP. You can't justify that one. I couldn't care less about the ban. You suppressed information because it wasn't in your best interest.  

you can see the second thread made by maou didn't even mention the fan patch anywhere.  It was strictly informative. You can see it right there in the OP. You can't justify that one. I couldn't care less about the ban. You suppressed information because it wasn't in your best interest.  

We've been over this, did you really want to do it all over again?

Well I am one of those which supported WAS. It was scheduled to release in April. Still waiting... My money was totally wasted here. 

But whatever I don't care about this. My problem is that they don't give us any information. I don't care if they say "Game X is delayed 3 months because the translation/scripting is horrible". I would be fine with that. I know myself how it is when you do mess something up. I have done that in school and at my workplace too. You just inform the people around you (in this case the customers which supported you and gave you their money) and work on the problem until it is fixed. 

Cropped images is a small change. They should've handled it better but it is not that big of a deal. Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't you have to change the images if you want them to be widescreen HD 16:9? The pictures look good and you don't miss anything anyway.

Edited by SilverLi

Well I am one of those which supported WAS. It was scheduled to release in April. Still waiting... My money was totally wasted here. 

Due to legal issues, on the advice of our lawyers, we cannot talk about WAS - NJ

eta: We are still committed to delivering it, we just can't talk about what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rg7y9/sekai_project_and_rvisualnovels/cwnvo4o 

There's been problems with the Doujin group in Japan, so that project's been a bit of a clusterfuck it sounds like. 

Due to legal issues, on the advice of our lawyers, we cannot talk about WAS - NJ

eta: We are still committed to delivering it, we just can't talk about what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rg7y9/sekai_project_and_rvisualnovels/cwnvo4o 

There's been problems with the Doujin group in Japan, so that project's been a bit of a clusterfuck it sounds like. 

Alright I think that wasn't communicated through the Kickstarter. I have no memory of that kind of update through my mail.

you can see the second thread made by maou didn't even mention the fan patch anywhere.  It was strictly informative. You can see it right there in the OP. You can't justify that one. I couldn't care less about the ban. You suppressed information because it wasn't in your best interest.  

This is exactly why I hate debating on these forums... People refuse to back down and bring up old points again. The conversation ends up going in circles

This is exactly why I hate debating on these forums... People refuse to back down and bring up old points again. The conversation ends up going in circles

Likewise man.

People have written well-structured statements describing how SP needs to step up their PR game, and they have acted on that by hiring new PR people. 

I'm really happy that they decided to hire someone to help them with PR, but there's still a lot of unresolved problems:

- Sekai Projects forum is dead for over a month, no one beside dovac(last post a month or more ago) answers any questions or hold up any discussions here with community

- Their twitter focus mainly on promoting OEVLNs/cheap/unknown japanese VNs (It was so active though when Witchboy KS or how this VN is called was up)

- We still don't have any progress updates on their BEST localizations (Root Double, Tenshin Ranman, Chrono Clock) We just know that they're picked up, and we have no news beside that, I'm not saying they should post progress updates every week or month, but they should keep people updated... For now we have silence since Otakon/AA, if nothing's going on or translation hasn't started and they're busy with other projects just say so... It won't hurt.

- What I think is really bad from their side is their releasing style. In order to gather hype you should set up release date... Like MG does with their titles Higurashi Ch2? 13 November, yay Euphoria? 27 November, if it'll get delayed it'll get delayed(rarely hapens, right?) Anyway they have set up dates and now they promote by twitter/forums/reddit other things, and boom they get a lot of pre-orders, and fans swarm their VNs all at once(then write reviews and they get more pick ups) And how it looks for SP? Clannad, we still don't know the release date(hello? it's november? date could be nice, even something like 30 Nov) G-Senjou?(Oh it's released tomorrow, surprise?) Mangagamer = translated interviews, pre-orders etc. SP = spontaneous releases At least from what some guy from SP told me on reddit they're preparing relaunch of their website+forum for months, I hope it'll work out, and they will actually post things on them. Also I'm not telling SP to be like MG, because MG is in the business much longer, but they should take an example from them. I hope SP will look like MG right now in like 2 years or so~~

As for the Kickstarter and rewards, even if Clannad gathered like 540k, 54 k goes to Kickstarter guys, so it's already 490~~k translation/re-translation/translation checking/QCing also isn't free, so some of the money needs to go there, then there's physical goodies (tshirts, discs, albums, tapestries, artbooks etc.) and of course license for voices etc. And yeah, dovac have to be fuck*** rich, because he earned 1,5m$ on Kickstarters... and SP stopped getting more licenses(G-senjou/Tenshin Ranman/Wagamama/Chrono Clock for example)

Some guys may not like how SP is doing things now, to be honest I also don't like how they do them... But, we can say they just started and I hope it will get better, and they won't go Steam route only, and still release 18+ versions for hardcore/"loyal" fans. And their 18+ versions won't get X months of a delay and won't go out without proper QCing(I'm keep telling everyone that Denpa's Grisaia is full of typos(they might just put old koestl/Doddler release with AppLocale fix and new font and bugged text display... but w/e) What I can't stand is that dovac or anyone official from SP didn't provide any fixes to text issues O_O And I got ignored by them on forum, god bless that Doddler/koestl are responding on IRC... Can't wait to see how 18+ Meikyuu will work out.

People have written well-structured statements describing how SP needs to step up their PR game, and they have acted on that by hiring new PR people. 

I'm really happy that they decided to hire someone to help them with PR, but there's still a lot of unresolved problems:

- Sekai Projects forum is dead for over a month, no one beside dovac(last post a month or more ago) answers any questions or hold up any discussions here with community

- Their twitter focus mainly on promoting OEVLNs/cheap/unknown japanese VNs (It was so active though when Witchboy KS or how this VN is called was up)

- We still don't have any progress updates on their BEST localizations (Root Double, Tenshin Ranman, Chrono Clock) We just know that they're picked up, and we have no news beside that, I'm not saying they should post progress updates every week or month, but they should keep people updated... For now we have silence since Otakon/AA, if nothing's going on or translation hasn't started and they're busy with other projects just say so... It won't hurt.

- What I think is really bad from their side is their releasing style. In order to gather hype you should set up release date... Like MG does with their titles Higurashi Ch2? 13 November, yay Euphoria? 27 November, if it'll get delayed it'll get delayed(rarely hapens, right?) Anyway they have set up dates and now they promote by twitter/forums/reddit other things, and boom they get a lot of pre-orders, and fans swarm their VNs all at once(then write reviews and they get more pick ups) And how it looks for SP? Clannad, we still don't know the release date(hello? it's november? date could be nice, even something like 30 Nov) G-Senjou?(Oh it's released tomorrow, surprise?) Mangagamer = translated interviews, pre-orders etc. SP = spontaneous releases At least from what some guy from SP told me on reddit they're preparing relaunch of their website+forum for months, I hope it'll work out, and they will actually post things on them. Also I'm not telling SP to be like MG, because MG is in the business much longer, but they should take an example from them. I hope SP will look like MG right now in like 2 years or so~~

As for the Kickstarter and rewards, even if Clannad gathered like 540k, 54 k goes to Kickstarter guys, so it's already 490~~k translation/re-translation/translation checking/QCing also isn't free, so some of the money needs to go there, then there's physical goodies (tshirts, discs, albums, tapestries, artbooks etc.) and of course license for voices etc. And yeah, dovac have to be fuck*** rich, because he earned 1,5m$ on Kickstarters... and SP stopped getting more licenses(G-senjou/Tenshin Ranman/Wagamama/Chrono Clock for example)

Some guys may not like how SP is doing things now, to be honest I also don't like how they do them... But, we can say they just started and I hope it will get better, and they won't go Steam route only, and still release 18+ versions for hardcore/"loyal" fans. And their 18+ versions won't get X months of a delay and won't go out without proper QCing(I'm keep telling everyone that Denpa's Grisaia is full of typos(they might just put old koestl/Doddler release with AppLocale fix and new font and bugged text display... but w/e) What I can't stand is that dovac or anyone official from SP didn't provide any fixes to text issues O_O And I got ignored by them on forum, god bless that Doddler/koestl are responding on IRC... Can't wait to see how 18+ Meikyuu will work out.

- I'm not too sure who manages the forums, but 90% of the questions are asking about future plans instead of questions about the releases that they currently have out. It's kind of weird to be asking a company about their future business plans, if you ask me. It's like asking Disney how their newest movie ends before it's even released in theaters. Questions like "where do you see SP 5 years into the future?" are fine, but questions such as "are you going to license ___ ?" are just what. Do people actually ask that hoping to get a yes or no answer? They're not necessarily stupid questions, but people tend to ask questions that are difficult to answer.

- Those are the games that need more promotion.

- SP will announce news when they get it, or when they're allowed to announce it. The team is really excited when we get news in, so we won't knowingly withhold news unless we're not supposed to talk about it yet. If there is nothing announced, then that simply means there is no news. People have mentioned that they could at least post "May 18: No updates," "May 26: No updates" to let people know that they're not dead, but this is a company we're talking about here - not a capricious fan TL team - so they're not going to die halfway. Even with the newest Final Fantasy game, Square only uploads a trailer like once every 4-8 months as they leave players to anticipate what's to come. When you really think about it, is there really a point? I think people are just being impatient about waiting in silence and I can understand that, but posting "No updates" every other week really isn't going to change the fact that we have no news to announce.

- I think you have a point there. Release dates give people something to look forward to. However, when you are forced to delay something due to unforeseen circumstances (*cough* Shiny Days), you are going to get grilled for it. As a translator, I really appreciate not having a deadline set in stone because then I won't have to feel bad about spending more time on a line that I'm having trouble wording, and aim to really refine the script. But yes, I agree that the G-Senjou release was like "oh what, it's releasing tomorrow?" I haven't heard anything about the website+forum overhaul because I am not involved in it, but I look forward to it as well.

Steam allows us to reach a wider audience, but we're not abandoning the hardcore fans because we are all hardcore fans ourselves~

As for QC errors on Grisaia, I think some of that might have been attributed to engine/import issues due to some of the more bizarre mistakes (like words disappearing), but I'm not too sure myself. If memory serves me right, the patch was addressed on the steam forums but approval from Japan is still pending. I really can't say too much about that since I'm not involved in the Grisaia project, but I'll try to ask around about it.

Why should we accept that lame excuse? why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project. sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project and why didn't they tell us on the KS page? And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case? Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?

Come on, stop defending something that cannot be defended. I will love to give a lame excuse like that in my life and get away with it.

Why should we accept that lame excuse? why didn't sekai project tell us from the beginning that it wasn't them managing the project. sic "All production work was managed by the circle initially.After September of this year we've taken over"  Why did I back sekai when it wasn't them who were in charge of the project and why didn't they tell us on the KS page? And why did they make a contract with them if that was the case? Something isn't right.

What does anything have to do with the fact that they uploaded an old patch because nobody really checked anything to begin with and then ignoring repeatedly everything related to that issue (deleting a post on steam that told them about that mistake) and a month later giving that shitty excuse of legal issues which isn't related to the bad management and poor service customer that they have, so did "the circle" manage their steam account and upload files for them?  or did their lawyer advice them to do that too huh? Why did we get to know that they were having legal issues after 9 month of the project being delayed?

Come on, stop defending something that cannot be defended. I will love to give a lame excuse like that in my life and get away with it.

When people don't get an answer, they start making conspiracy theories. When people do get an answer, well, they still make conspiracy theories. Literally no way to make people happy, but I guess that's the community for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯