Sekai Project cropped G-Senjou no Maou CGs

Rance

I'd say this comment really hits the mark.   

traderofswings

I've been telling you all that Sekai Project is a bad company. Dovac acts like a child when he does PR and is only in it for the kickstarter money. Kickstarters are FREE OF RISK. They don't have to worry about delays because they're already paid. They pay the translators shit and it's going straight into dovac's pockets. They reuse fan translations and still manage to screw up the game. If anyone had doubts before it's time to stop buying from Sekai. They have how many kickstarters in action? How many finished? Just take an objective look at the company. I know we all want more official ways to purchase VNs but if we support a company that ruins the quality we will be put further behind than we were before.

Sorry for the rant but it's upsetting that a company whose tagline is saving VNs for thte west is potentially killing them

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rds22/gsenjou_no_maou_steam_version_169_cgs_are_cropped/cwndsse

I dunno, I can't get myself worked up over cropped CGs. I'd prefer uncropped but... meh. I don't know why or how so many people are getting so upset.

I think people are mainly upset by the lack and quality of sekai project's PR. It would be one thing if they responded that it was just out of their hands, but instead they tell people to shut their dirty whore mouths.

Edited by Soulless Watcher

i do get worked up when someone tells me that buiseness btw potential boost of sales comes before reading experience, because if thats the case then piss off and sell cars, or whatever and not a medium that atually lives from its reading experience, furthermore calling me a purist, elitist or whatever overly-sentimental dude that hasnt understood the world he´s living in...

How I see Sekai Project? Puppet in hands of the Devs
How I see Mangagamer? Partners with the Devs
Why?
SP can't say anything, can't even post progress about translation??? What the...? They should be more decisive when talking with Devs... 

I really don't like how SP do things... ... ... ... ... ... But maybe that's just me. And maybe SP have some grand plan we don't know about. Releasing badly cropped only VN is a bad idea though. 

I dunno, I can't get myself worked up over cropped CGs. I'd prefer uncropped but... meh. I don't know why or how so many people are getting so upset.

Eh, it's not that big of a deal, but still pretty shitty when the big deal is that the game's supposed to be upscaled to a higher resolution, but in the process a chunk of the CG gets cut out. 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377670/discussions/0/490124466479176329/

Would have been a good idea to post that sooner. If they needed to confirm whether they were allowed to say that, it would have been a good idea to talk to the devs beforehand. Making an official statement before there was any outrage would have prevented a lot of the outrage, or at least directed it away from SP.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377670/discussions/0/490124466479176329/

Would have been a good idea to post that sooner. If they needed to confirm whether they were allowed to say that, it would have been a good idea to talk to the devs beforehand. Making an official statement before there was any outrage would have prevented a lot of the outrage, or at least directed it away from SP.

and they had to add this in...

Further threads regarding this will be locked or deleted.

they still have not learn their lesson. 

Posting on steam about these cropped CGs is like being a Jew in Berlin, Germany during World War 2. Seriously where the fuck is the freedom of speech?!

No, not being able to complain about not seeing Gonzou's plate isn't even close to comparable to the plight of the Jews in Nazi Germany. And you don't have the freedom of speech on message boards, not even on Fuwanovel. That's how it works, deal with it.

Posting on steam about these cropped CGs is like being a Jew in Berlin, Germany during World War 2. Seriously where the fuck is the freedom of speech?!

This line reminds me of the trouble I got into when ranting in Runescape forums. I'll tell you what I learned there, US law doesn't apply to internet forums (unless the nsa takes an interest in the conversation).

Edited by Soulless Watcher

You expect a game with art assets designed to work in 4:3/5:4 to display flawlessly in 16:9 ratio? I applaud.

I agree porting to 16:9 could be done better, but you can't really do much without having to redraw/redo the art specially for 16:9. This is not something SP is even responsible for, it's Akabei's decision, which was propably made because they don't really have the access to the original assets anymore and weren't able to recreate them.

Think twice next time before posting redundant trollbaits.

Those kind of decisions are taken by AkabeiSoft, not Sekai Project, for the simple reason that they are the one making the Steam version of the game. It's a poor decision, you'd think they'd at least let you choose between the cropped 16:9 and the smaller but full 4:3 (since that's about all the options you have anyway), but it's a one AkabeiSoft made. And they do expect SP to fully take the rage from players for that kind of stuff.

Of course deleting threads and banning people is the worse way to approach this from a PR point of view, so SP still kinda failed.

Can you give a prooflink that Akabeisoft develop this? As I was under impression that was developed by someone at SP.

/upd nevermind, found myself

You expect a game with art assets designed to work in 4:3/5:4 to display flawlessly in 16:9 ratio? I applaud.

I agree porting to 16:9 could be done better, but you can't really do much without having to redraw/redo the art specially for 16:9. This is not something SP is even responsible for, it's Akabei's decision, which was propably made because they don't really have the access to the original assets anymore and weren't able to recreate them.

You can do a lot better, like in Ever17 PSP, they do an auto-crop of central part, but user is allowed to scroll up/down to see the whole picture if he want. That's much better way to solve this.

Edited by Scorp

Nah, you're putting words in my mouth.   I don't even care about having a 16:9 ratio, I care about the details that are left out of the cropped CGs. Just like I care about H content being removed.  You can argue it's irreverence but that's all subjective to you. Obviously this stuff matters to us otherwise this topic wouldn't have taken off like it did.  The point is to hold localization to higher standards, not mindlessly support every half-assed release because "If we don't support this then we'll never see another VN in the west again".  It doesn't work that way, as a business if you expect to make sales, you have to make something worth buying. Quality matters, and expecting sales by guilt tripping fans into buying out of pity or sympathy or using incomplete releases as "hostages" so to speak is absolutely unprofessional and unacceptable.

And for the record, we did forward ideas to them. That was the whole point of why I posted in the Steam forums, was to raise awareness so something can be done about it.   But they decided to delete our threads and permanently ban me and anyone else who brought the topic up, and only after word spread did they make any remark on the matter. They never once said "This is why the CGs are cropped, there was nothing we could do." they just outright banned us in the most childish manner and claimed we were promoting piracy and tried to sweep it under the rug.  It's a huge slap to the face of fans in general.  They've proved themselves with their actions as an untrustworthy company, and I'm not just speaking solely about this incident.  It's the culmination of how Sekai Project has operated thus far as a whole.  I'm not even upset about getting banned, I just think it's petty.  

This isn't pointless hate mongering, it's valid concerns being ignored or silenced and seeing no improvement whatsoever.  They keep taking advantage of us because they know they can. People will mindless support them on false promises or being guilted for using fan patches.    We've seen the way they treat their customers, and if they want to be treated like a business then the simply truth is this is an inferior product to the original. Cropped CGs, cut sex scenes, split into voiced/unvoiced, DRM.  Does that sound like it's worth full price to you? Especially when the original has been out for years with a fan patch already made. We're being sold a butchered version of a genuinely great title.  What are the chances of them coming back and doing a re-re-release and fixing it? None. For the title to sell it needs to be better, not worse.

Edited by Rance

If I remember correctly, G-Senjou was made on the earlier KK/KAG builds, which should theoretically support such functionality; in worst case, it shouldn't be an issue to port the code. Why not forward this kind of an idea instead of mocking the devs responsible for the release?

There is absolutely no problem to do what I told on any version of KAG. Already wrote mail about this and other aspects to Sekai before, never got any response apart dovac telling something like "we do not care about your useless opinions" on vndb. After that I gave up on Sekai completely and decided to never buy games from him  Alas they are sitting tight with millions on KS, so my opinion really would mean nothing to them, as they are aimed on money, not on customers. Also I am completely against things like mosaic, which they even did not tried to take away and against their censoring, which goes against author's initial text and makes all heroines look dull...

So I bought my own copy of G-Senjou no Maou from AB2 Japanese First Press Edition (if I am not mistaken, anyway was coming with huge 400 pages artbook). bought both radio drama CDs and I am happy enough, as with Chikan & the_noob_avenger english translation patch I already have best available version.

I seriously couldn't care less, since I'm not planning to buy it and I haven't actually bought anything from SP except for Nekopara, Fault and WEE. My current opinion regarding SP remains mixed. They did some nice stuff in the beginning, brought a couple of decent games (and I'm not even talking about Grisaia or any other AAA releases, I'm talking mostly about indie vn's), but at the moment it seems they're slowly turning into another corporate body, which isn't anything spectacular considering the ammount of work they're currently doing.

Besides, did you ever expected Dovac to form SP only out of pure love for vn's? They've been in that business for a long time, for them it's already more about making a reasonable living doing the stuff they like, instead of being forced to do things you don't necesarilly want to, for the rest of your life. They will make decisions focused on maximizing profits and securing their financial stability, they won't care that much about a couple of opinions from a bunch of users on the internet. If they would, they'd already have their representatives on Fuwanovel for a long time and actively discuss about their work and lineups with the community. Sadly, some people also think Fuwanovel equals whole vn community, which isn't the case. Nevertheless, they don't really even need all the oldtime communities anymore, since they already have access to Steam.

TL & DR:

Those guys don't really care about your shitty eroges, nor your opinions. Move along.

I don't really feel like adding anything to this discussion other than that I do get where people who are critical of Sekai are coming from and I do agree that Sekai really could use some improvement in how they communicate with their user-base (they recently hired some PR people so hopefully that will get better). I also think that people are massively overreacting with their criticism of Sekai. When the legitimate criticism of Sekai gets buried in hasty conclusions and people acting like Sekai has personally offended them with cries of censorship and whatnot it does no one any favours.

There is however one thing which I feel really needs to be cleared up. Every single time Sekai is discussed there are some people who criticize their use of Kickstarter. This in itself isn't something I have a problem with and I personally wish they would rely less on kickstarter myself. The problem is that a lot of these people makes some massive assumption about Sekai when they do this. A common criticism of Sekai (found several times in this thread) is that Sekai has tons of money and therefore shouldn't need to rely on Kickstarter. This is completely unfounded, none of you have any way to prove that this is the case. Clannad and Grisaia overreaching all the goals means nothing as we have no idea how much of that money reaches Sekai. It's possible that almost all that "extra" money went right to Frontwing and VisualArts. Considering that Frontwing apparently were the ones who decided to put a higher goal on the kickstarter than in the prefundia so they could earn more money it certainly seems likely in Grisaia's case. Considering the state of the eroge industry it isn't really strange that Japanese companies would be attracted to kickstarter. Or maybe the money all went to Sekai, the point is: We don't actually know.

So it's absolutely fine to be critical of Sekai's use of Kickstarte but please stop saying things like Sekai having millions lying around or Dovac being filthy rich without any proof and criticize them for the things you actually know are true instead.

Edited by Beato