Sekai Project cropped G-Senjou no Maou CGs

Rance

UPDATE: SP will ask AKB2 about possibility of 4:3 support):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377670/discussions/0/490124466479176329/

~~

I wanted to inform everyone that in order to achieve "HD widescreen assets" Sekai Project severely cropped all existing CGs in the laziest manner I've seen. Check this out:

hqdefault.jpg

ss_8a219d8d6e8546059e46b23fa09590ca4c698

27d0b0a7ae.png

You can't even see his arm, the plate, a chunk of his head, the sake bottle and glass. The  dead guy's arm which used to be in full view is now barely visible.

CS6FwdsVEAASW09.pngCS6FxBqVAAA0cnU.png

When I posted these examples on steam they permanently banned me and claimed I was promoting piracy.  My post was completely deleted without a trace.

CS4mQsxW4AAORuo.png:large

Not only that but someone else decided to take up the task to post a more neutral thread on steam and the thread was instantly locked. 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377670/discussions/0/490124466477714445/     [Edit: as of this moment the thread that used to be locked is now also entirely deleted.]

CS5DNsEW4AA_KxS.png:large

Deleting and locking anything that might criticize their shortcomings is rather petty even for Sekai Project.  They're splitting releases into voiced and un-voiced versions now which is just ridiculous, what's next microtransactions? Split each route into paid dlc?

They've made it clear that they treat adult content as if it were cancerous, yet they continue to pick up titles with +18 content.

Personally speaking, I've been supporting visual novels for a long time now and I've bought just about every release because I used to believe in western localization and that things would improve if we showed our support. But things are just getting worse at this rate and that was more or less my wake up call to stop investing money in companies like Sekai Project. It's really tiring having to ask every time a title is announced "Will we even get the full +18 release?", "what's getting censored?",  "How will it be handled?",  "Do we have to buy the goddamn game twice if we also want it on steam?".  Like you can't even be excited because there's so many questions left unanswered we can only expect the worst and they completely ignore us hoping we'll buy the steam version, and then announce the +18 at the last minute expecting us to double dip, rather than just offering steam keys like MangaGamer does.   Not to mention they suck funds out of us through kickstarter for practically every release. They're just abusing it now, taking already translated games that fans did on their own free time, and charging us money for it while making us pay for the licensing fees.  That's just fucked up.  Welcome to the new EA games of Visual Novels everyone.

[Edit: Looks like reddit caught wind and has been following the whole thing as well. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.   https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3rds22/gsenjou_no_maou_steam_version_169_cgs_are_cropped/  ]

traderofswings

I've been telling you all that Sekai Project is a bad company. Dovac acts like a child when he does PR and is only in it for the kickstarter money. Kickstarters are FREE OF RISK. They don't have to worry about delays because they're already paid. They pay the translators shit and it's going straight into dovac's pockets. They reuse fan translations and still manage to screw up the game. If anyone had doubts before it's time to stop buying from Sekai. They have how many kickstarters in action? How many finished? Just take an objective look at the company. I know we all want more official ways to purchase VNs but if we support a company that ruins the quality we will be put further behind than we were before.

Sorry for the rant but it's upsetting that a company whose tagline is saving VNs for thte west is potentially killing them

Wow, I could overlook all the stuff they stuff they have done so far, but this might be the last straw.

Well, glad im learning JP so I dont need sleazy localization companies anymore soon.

Same here man.  I'm about ready to abandon western localization as a whole and start importing. It's good motivation to learn Japanese and ultimately far more rewarding. There's so much we are missing out on here in the west, and I really wanted to share the emotions and experiences Visual Novels bring with as many people as possible.  I didn't support official releases to see them butchered like this.

Not impressed with SP tbh, despite my initial hopes for them. I personally don't care about cencorship, or images being cropped - the cropping can't be helped if you want a 16:9 ratio without it being a blurry, squished mess. (though that's coming from someone with zero expereince with art assets, anyway)

But their general attitude has really started to suck, and I think a lot of people are starting to get burnt out from the whole kickstarter thing. Love how they automatically called it promoting piracy - god forbid the rare case someone might actually own a legit japanese copy.

Those kind of decisions are taken by AkabeiSoft, not Sekai Project, for the simple reason that they are the one making the Steam version of the game. It's a poor decision, you'd think they'd at least let you choose between the cropped 16:9 and the smaller but full 4:3 (since that's about all the options you have anyway), but it's a one AkabeiSoft made. And they do expect SP to fully take the rage from players for that kind of stuff.

Of course deleting threads and banning people is the worse way to approach this from a PR point of view, so SP still kinda failed.

Those kind of decisions are taken by AkabeiSoft, not Sekai Project, for the simple reason that they are the one making the Steam version of the game. It's a poor decision, you'd think they'd at least let you choose between the cropped 16:9 and the smaller but full 4:3 (since that's about all the options you have anyway), but it's a one AkabeiSoft made. And they do expect SP to fully take the rage from players for that kind of stuff.

Of course deleting threads and banning people is the worse way to approach this from a PR point of view, so SP still kinda failed.

oh, thanks for clearing it up.

You're right though, japanese firms seems to be douche canoes as well sometimes lol

(like, lets not forget the whole cd copyright protection on clannad incident :D)

From a PR perspective they handled this in the worse way they possibly could have. Also, to be honest I gave up on Sekai Project already, no company should rely fully on KickStarter for EVERYTHING they do. Only project I gave money to was Grisaia no Kajitsu, and i'm happy I didn't give them anymore. 

"We are unfortunately unable to speak on this at the moment, but we will speak on this as soon as we are allowed

Further threads regarding this will be locked or deleted."

What the hell is this even

Lmao what the hell!? They deleted his thread too!

Free speech and criticism isn't a thing anymore, didn't you hear?

Cropping is a rather common practice with re-releases and I don't really have a problem with it if done well, though with a release like this it seems rather jarring not to have the option to switch back to 3:4, or to be able to move the art up and down at the very least. If most console re-releases can do this (most notably ont he Vita), I don't see why this can't.

Cropping aside, the way they deal with this is shitty to say the least.

"We are unfortunately unable to speak on this at the moment, but we will speak on this as soon as we are allowed

Yeah! 1984! Fahrenheit 451! Other books with numbers in them!

This is the way business works, guys and gals. It's not always pretty, but it's how the sausage gets made. It's a combination of SP being unable to talk about certain things because of contractual/legal obligations PLUS them not wanting to embarrass their partners and thereby endanger future projects.

I've done several ad campaigns for game releases involving Japanese developers and/or Japanese IPs. I've lived it. There are layers after layers after layers of red tape to go through before you're allowed to say just about anything.

(And for the record, I'm not a fan of cropping CGs either.)

Yeah! 1984! Fahrenheit 451! Other books with numbers in them!

This is the way business works, guys and gals. It's not always pretty, but it's how the sausage gets made. It's a combination of SP being unable to talk about certain things because of contractual/legal obligations PLUS them not wanting to embarrass their partners and thereby endanger future projects.

I've done several ad campaigns for game releases involving Japanese developers and/or Japanese IPs. I've lived it. There are layers after layers after layers of red tape to go through before you're allowed to say just about anything.

I agree with mostly everything you said, business is business. But at the same time as I said before the way the PR handled it was atrocious, instead of deleting posts and banning members they should have explained they couldn't talk about it earlier.

I've been trying to support Sekai Project, despite the recent string of questionable choices..... but DAMN. Also, I love how Sekai somehow always chooses the dushiest visual novel companies to work with. Sekai started as a hero to the western visual novel community, but quickly turned into a villain.  Funny how much more forgiving I feel twords Jast for its' delays and Mangagamer's view on fantranslations.

I agree with mostly everything you said, business is business. But at the same time as I said before the way the PR handled it was atrocious, instead of deleting posts and banning members they should have explained they couldn't talk about it earlier.

Totally agreed. The early overreaction was not the best thing they've done all day.

The funny thing is, though, sometimes you don't even know if you're allowed to say anything about not being allowed to say anything. Which is about the most frustrating thing ever.

I've been trying to support Sekai Project, despite the recent string of questionable choices..... but DAMN. Also, I love how Sekai somehow always chooses the dushiest visual novel companies to work with. Sekai started as a hero to the western visual novel community, but quickly turned into a villain.  Funny how much more forgiving I feel twords Jast for its' delays and Mangagamer's view on fantranslations.

I don't think they're choosing the companies so much as choosing the most popular visual novels that will rake in the money.

Yep, AkabeiSoft are the ones handling all the development of their new HD PC version and they're in control of what gets cropped and what doesn't. When it comes to these official releases, people tend to forget that the original developers still exist and usually hold more control over what happens when publishing their games.

Either way they somehow get landed with visual novel companies that arn't very friendly.

Is it really that much of a wonder if this is how 90%+ of VN companies will operate? You hear about it less with MG because the friction they encounter with their partners is much less public. JAST, though, has been full of woes dealing with 0verflow/Klon and the speed at which they've been addressing Shiny Days issues, and it's well known how much trouble they had with Nitro+ when that relationship was new. Visual Novel companies aren't very friendly, period. Or perhaps more accurately, they tend to be very difficult to work with.

Yep, AkabeiSoft are the ones handling all the development of their new HD PC version and they're in control of what gets cropped and what doesn't. When it comes to these official releases, people tend to forget that the original developers still exist and usually hold more control over what happens when publishing their games.

Either way they somehow get landed with visual novel companies that arn't very friendly.

Is it really that much of a wonder if this is how 90%+ of VN companies will operate? You hear about it less with MG because the friction they encounter with their partners is much less public. JAST, though, has been full of woes dealing with 0verflow/Klon and the speed at which they've been addressing Shiny Days issues, and it's well known how much trouble they had with Nitro+ when that relationship was new. Visual Novel companies aren't very friendly, period. Or perhaps more accurately, they tend to be very difficult to work with.

It is getting to the point that I wonder what reason is there for western VN audiences to stay away from eroge download and torrents, well at the very least the MuvLuv campaign seems to be handled well enough by all sides...... although I probably just jinxed something.

I don't know, MG's partners seem a lot better. At least with companies like Clockup and The SonoHana makers, you feel like they're actually really happy to have their games played overseas rather than just being in it for the money. 

I don't want to talk about SP anymore for obvious reasons :P but I will say that Akabeisoft is not very friendly to anyone outside Japan, they even blocked their webpage, it seems to me they are those types of very conservative Japanese companies I'm really surprised that they are releasing any tittle outside japan to being with

I don't want to talk about SP anymore for obvious reasons :P but I will say that Akabeisoft is not very friendly to anyone outside Japan, they even blocked their webpage, it seems to me they are those types of very conservative Japanese companies I'm really surprised that they are releasing any tittle outside japan to being with

Many Japanese VN companies started doing that after the RapeLay incident to avoid any unwanted attention.

Many Japanese VN companies started doing that after the RapeLay incident to avoid any unwanted attention.

nah their website was blocked way before that.