Tutorial - How to read untranslated visual novels .

Deep Blue

28 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

it does, I actually explain that using a different text hooker rather than the one that chiitrans has is better. I do not recommend using the hooker that comes with chiitrans, it's clunky, has some bugs and you constantly need to select the threads that you want to read, not worth it since using ITH or ITHVNR is the same and faster.

NJrOEX9.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to update the guide and also add a tutorial on how to read vns from a virtual machine since for me being able to read full screen without borders or anything else distracting is the priority when I use this program but I'm really lazy and I don't want to right now.

But you don't talk about this one:

Spoiler

1481451437-capture.jpg

But it's true that the ITH guide was here, just that using Chiitrans hooker is faster than opening ITH and hooking everytime. That why I wanted a method without ITH.

Edited by Riku

19 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Always thought that "auto remove repetion" from the settings does it.

That's true! Enabling "Auto suppress repetition" also removes double characters.
I don't think that this is the case when you use Chiitrans' engine for hooking though. ^^

1 hour ago, Riku said:

But it's true that the ITH guide was here, just that using Chiitrans hooker is faster than opening ITH and hooking everytime. That why I wanted a method without ITH.

ITH is just as fast if you use profiles and auto-attach it to your VNs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, it's me again. Kinda decided it was finally time to read Hello Lady!, but here is the problem: ITHVNR (or even just ITH) doesn't parse words with furigana.

1528094004-capture.jpg

Didn't find anything by searching on google, so asking here.

On 04/06/2018 at 7:35 AM, Riku said:

Hey, it's me again. Kinda decided it was finally time to read Hello Lady!, but here is the problem: ITHVNR (or even just ITH) doesn't parse words with furigana.

Didn't find anything by searching on google, so asking here.

How ITH sees furigana (also commonly known as ruby text) depends on how the game sends it. Some games have it alongside the text, some games send it to a different thread, and some games use methods ITH doesn't know how to read. You can try checking the other threads and see if it's there, if not you'll have to try and find it using similar methods to creating H-codes.

17 minutes ago, Avifir said:

How ITH sees furigana (also commonly known as ruby text) depends on how the game sends it. Some games have it alongside the text, some games send it to a different thread, and some games use methods ITH doesn't know how to read. You can try checking the other threads and see if it's there, if not you'll have to try and find it using similar methods to creating H-codes.

I know that, but the thing is no matter how much I search, nobody else has this problem for Hello Lady. In fact, even found a screenshot where everything works, and no H-code.  But not that much people check this thread (they just ignore it), so I'll try to create a thread when I'll be near the end of Ys VIII.

But thanks for the answer!

Edited by Riku

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone still able to hook games with ITH VNR? Because I can't anymore and I didn't change anything. I guess one of Windows 10 latest shitty security updates killed it. So since Chiitrans was already killed 1 - 2 years ago, now not even ITH works anymore. So this essentially means that text hooking on Windows 10 is completely dead now, because nothing works anymore. At least that seems to be the case on my system now.

I still have a Windows 7 virtual machine, which I created for Caucasus, but it's a time restricted free version, so I'm not really sure if it works anymore. Guess I could create a new one, but I dislike the extra effort.

If you use a virtual machine the best thing you can do is install xp sp3 and not 7 since the compatibly is way higher with XP, only very few, mostly old or with crappy engine games wont run on xp and will require 98 or even win 95. 

And yes win10 updates tend to do that in general with old software and hardware too...:notlikemiya:

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Anyone still able to hook games with ITH VNR? Because I can't anymore and I didn't change anything. I guess one of Windows 10 latest shitty security updates killed it. So since Chiitrans was already killed 1 - 2 years ago, now not even ITH works anymore. So this essentially means that text hooking on Windows 10 is completely dead now, because nothing works anymore. At least that seems to be the case on my system now.

I still have a Windows 7 virtual machine, which I created for Caucasus, but it's a time restricted free version, so I'm not really sure if it works anymore. Guess I could create a new one, but I dislike the extra effort.

Which build of 10?

3 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

If you use a virtual machine the best thing you can do is install xp sp3 and not 7 since the compatibly is way higher with XP, only very few, mostly old or with crappy engine games wont run on xp and will require 98 or even win 95. 

And yes win10 updates tend to do that in general with old software and hardware too...:notlikemiya:

I never had problems with Windows 7. I think that's more for older VN's < 2004 and I tend to stick to newer ones.

2 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Which build of 10?

Windows 10 Pro Build 17134.228. I think it's either update KB4343909 or KB890830 since I got them just a few days ago. There was also KB4343902, but it's an update for Adobe Flash Player, so I don't think it's the cause.

11 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Windows 10 Pro Build 17134.228. I think it's either update KB4343909 or KB890830 since I got them just a few days ago. There was also KB4343902, but it's an update for Adobe Flash Player, so I don't think it's the cause.

Yeah I have all of those installed and 0 problems here

I actually found the problem - and it didn't have anything to do with Windows updates.

I noticed that my file manager had problems with the miniature view of images and after some experimenting, I found out that the problem could be solved when I started it in compatibility mode with Windows 7. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that this triggered another side affect. All programs started with it were probably started in compatibility mode too, and that seems to have broken the hooking. What a mess. :amane: