Tutorial - How to read untranslated visual novels .

Deep Blue

here is a comparison I did recently and why i think for me is the best one to use, I hate katakana I really hate them so is really easy for me when I can add names and don't have to was time figuring out what the hell are the saying. 

sydlDuI.jpg

this is from dies irae which is a vn that is full of weird names (there are like 40 names all written in katakana) and just katakana words all over it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ロル ビち said:

im trying it now, but when i open the VN with VNR, chiitrans doesnt hook the text cuz it says 'already running'. i can only hook with chiitrans if i open it with chiitrans, but then i wont be able to use VNR.

that's because you shouldn't open the vn with chiitrans and vnr at the same time, you should open it with VNR and hook the text with either vnr or ITH, just let it copy the text and use it with chiitrans.

13 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

i didnt get the last part: how am i supposed to copy it and use with chiitrans?

does vnr hook the text?if yes then go to Menu>Text settings>just select one of the threads to grab the text from and it should work. Just be sure to have "capture text from clipboard" on chiitrans

btw, what vn are you trying to read?

0HmgzPZ.jpg

3 minutes ago, spademan said:

Good guide, tried this out but compared to LEC i just do not like atlas very much. but my question is if i use VNR am i better off using ith for my hook instead of default one? i did not know it was "awful" until now???

The parser that VNR uses is "bad" but the way it "extracts" the text is the same, all this programas use the same method and the same program to extract or hook the text from the visual novels, maybe with some changes, but in the end you have: ITH, AGTH, ITHVNR(same one vnr use) and the modified version that chiitrans uses.

If you are using machine translation aka atlas, lec, etc it won't matter what method you use to hook the text, because once you have the text, let's say "了解" it will always be the same no matter what, now the translation depending on what 3rd soft you use it will change, and for example you find LEC to be better than ATLAS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 1:17 AM, Tyrosyn said:

LEC is in no way better than ALTAS on average.
Don't let your judgment be clouded by some single instances where LEC sounds a little bit more natural.
But well, that's why we use ATLAS and LEC simultaneously, nee~?

Oh I missed this comment :P

I actually don't use MT but if you use them yeah the best thing to do is check all of them (even google xD) and even complement them with external dictionaries or check similar sentences, I use

http://ejje.weblio.jp/ http://www.alc.co.jp/ and http://jisho.org/ there is no other way to learn than actually seeing examples of let's say a verb being used in a similar example. That is if you want to learn not just read it machine translated :P 

• 2 months later...

Is there any other methods to pin window in full screen mode ?  For example Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai(1280x720) always stays on top regardless on settings. And same for Aneimo Neo ~Second Sisters~(800x600) , but window is clickable and entirely not visible.
Tried with Chiitrans Lite,Translation Aggregator and VNR(window is just blinking, unreadable.)

• 1 month later...

Playing Satsukoi right now, and when something is in double (hiragana, katakana, punctuation, etc...), it only parse one. (Only one 'ko' is parsed when 'koko' is written for example)

I can still read it directly, so no problem, but sometimes when there is a bunch of descriptions I tend to look ATLAS rather than reading myself.

So if someone had this problem and knows how to solve it.

Thanks!

Edited by Riku

8 minutes ago, Riku said:

Playing Satsukoi right now, and when something is in double (hiragana, katakana, punctuation, etc...), it only parse one. (Only one 'ko' is parsed when 'koko' is written for example)

I can still read it so directly, so no problems, but sometimes when there is a bunch of descriptions I tend to look ATLAS rather than reading myself.

So if someone had this problem and know how to solve it.

Thanks!

This does tend to happen when parsers run into katakana. It doesn't always know the best way to parse them, mistake words for others and so on. It isn't always used to seeing normal words spelled out purposely with kana, and therefore often mistakes them for something else.

What you can attempt to do, is highlight the word, then hit space. If chiitrans recognizes what you have highlighted, it will reparse with that selection. Sometimes it simply won't though. For these instances, you could alternatively copy the entire phrase and put it into google, and see if you can find some webpages with information on the word. I don't know if there is any other solution to this, as it's not so much the parser's fault as it is simply the phrases being too hard to parse right without a person thinking about its usage and such.

EDIT: If you mean the text literally only displays a single instance of the kana instead of several, this is linked to the string and not the parser. Chiitrans has a rather bad hooker, so in these instances you should use a different program to hook. You could attempt hooking the game with ITHVNR and see if that helps. (Set the option for "auto copy clipboard" in Chiitrans, and you can still use chiitrans to read while ITHVNR hooks.) This happens in a few games, and it's quite annoying.

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

This does tend to happen when parsers run into katakana. It doesn't always know the bet way to parse them, mistake words for others and so on. It  isn't always used to seeing normal words spelled out purposely with kana, and mistakes them for something else.

What you can attempt to do, is highlight the word, then hit space. If chiitrans recognizes what you have highlighted, it will reparse with that selection. Sometimes it simply won't though. For these instances, you could alternatively copy the entire phrase and put it into google, and see if you can find some webpages with information on the word. I don't know if there is any other solution to this, as it's not so much the parser's fault as it is simply the phrases being too hard to parse right without a person thinking about its usage and such.

Thanks for the answer, but that's not what I meant, so here's a screenshot:

Spoiler

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/49/1481380502-capture.jpg

As you can see, only one 'tsu' was parsed. Or perhaps it isn't the right word? If that's the case, it's normal that you didn't understood what I meant and I'm sorry for the mistake.

Just now, Riku said:

Thanks for the answer, but that's not what I meant, so here's a screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/49/1481380502-capture.jpg

As you can see, only one 'tsu' was parsed. Or perhaps it isn't the right word? If that's the case, it's normal that you didn't understood what I meant and I'm sorry for the mistake.

Ah yes, that's what I thought after reading your post again.

I did edit my post, but was probably too late :sacchan:

EDIT: If you mean the text literally only displays a single instance of the kana instead of several, this is linked to the string and not the parser. Chiitrans has a rather bad hooker, so in these instances you should use a different program to hook. You could attempt hooking the game with ITHVNR and see if that helps. (Set the option for "auto copy clipboard" in Chiitrans, and you can still use chiitrans to read while ITHVNR hooks.) This happens in a few games, and it's quite annoying.

Try this and see if it helps. It is linked to chiitrans not hooking all the text. If there is a better string, you can hook that with ITHVNR/ITH most of the time. Alternatively, an H-code might be available, and that will make it hook better as well.

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

Characters are repeated many times and the hooker removes the repeats.

It's not the hooker that removes repeats. It's the engine which caches repeats so they don't need to be printed out twice.

That's important to know because caching problems can usually be easily fixed by going one or two jumps back and hooking the uncached string there.

Edited by Tyrosyn

43 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

It's not the hooker that removes repeats. It's the engine which caches repeats so they don't need to be printed out twice.

That's important to know because caching problems can usually be easily fixed by going one or two jumps back and hooking the uncached string there.

Always thought that "auto remove repetion" from the settings does it.

And I think that you kinda mean the same thing as I did as the solution?

(don't want to go too much into detail since I'm stuck with my phone)

19 hours ago, Riku said:

I see, thanks for the answer!

I'll try it.

EDIT: The guide didn't say anything about the auto copy to clipboard, so I had to think a little, but it works just fine now! Thanks @Dergonu!

it does, I actually explain that using a different text hooker rather than the one that chiitrans has is better. I do not recommend using the hooker that comes with chiitrans, it's clunky, has some bugs and you constantly need to select the threads that you want to read, not worth it since using ITH or ITHVNR is the same and faster.

NJrOEX9.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to update the guide and also add a tutorial on how to read vns from a virtual machine since for me being able to read full screen without borders or anything else distracting is the priority when I use this program but I'm really lazy and I don't want to right now.

Edited by Deep Blue