Tutorial - How to read untranslated visual novels .

Deep Blue

You can skip this part and go to the tutorial if you want:

So after doing a lot of searching I finally found the perfect text hooker to read untranslated vns in the way I want to. Say hello to Chiitrans Lite
*NOTE: Please bear in mind that there is no such thing as the perfect software, this program has some issues so it might be useful to your or not. I'm doing this tutorial because I found it very useful and wanted to share it.

What other softs I tried and why they didn't work for me:

Visual Novel Reader

*The parser is awful. (biggest problem)
*It uses a lot of resources, it takes a lot to load up.
*I don't use 90% of the functions.
*Checking the translated words is a pain and really slow, every time you hover the mouse on the words you need to close the tab with the translation.

Spoiler

jKHSwhJ.jpg

The parsing...my my

Z0JZNEC.jpg
you actually need to click on every single word and then click on the X to close the text box....

Translation Aggregator:

*You cannot full screen and read at the same time.
*The interface is old and it makes it awkward to read a vn with it.
It is ok if you are studying or using it to help you out for something in particular but reading a whole novel in 800x600 is not fun...

All the problems I had with those programs were fixed  with chiitrans.

So here is my tutorial 

How do I start using it?

IMPORTANT: THIS IS NOT A GUIDE TO SHOW YOU HOW TO USE MACHINE TRANSLATION BUT TO READ WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF A PARSER (I WON'T BE ABLE TO HELP YOU IF YOU NEED TO INSTALL ATLAS OR ANY OTHER MT PROGRAM) 

1) Download the software from here: https://alexbft.github.io/chiitrans/
Install .NET Framework 4 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ph/download/details.aspx?id=1785 and https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=40784
You can chose the .zip version which doesn't need an installation (portable) or the .msi installer.
You don't need to download anything else!
Atlas V14 if you want to.

2) Open the software after installing it or downloading it.
You can either click on:
A) and search for the .exe of your vn in your pc or click on
B) and then execute the .exe of the novel, after that just click on 
C) Connect and the game will lunch.

Spoiler

GUSBdmB.jpg

3) Now you can use the text hooker that comes with the program itself (AGTH) which works perfect most of the times or use ITH.

Once the vn is loaded it will automatically search for the text, if you don't see it click on "TL Window" and it will appear
Select the correct text you want the program to show, in this case all of them were correct, sometimes it will show you one that it has the name of the character speaking, one that it doesn't, one with is just random garbage, etc.
Don't forget to deselect  the ones you don't want to use!

Spoiler

95H85p4.jpg

You can also add codes for agth, once the novel is lunched just go into Options>Text Capture and there click on "Install user hooks"

Spoiler

HeppwTZ.jpg

And that's pretty much it!

What do I do if the program doesn't hook the text from the vn that I want to read?

If the program doesn't find the text do this instead:

First of all don't run the novel with chiitrans like I explained before just open the program and open the vn separately since you are not using AGTH there is no point in using chiitrans to lunch the vn.

1) Open the option menu > Text Capture> select "Capture text from clipboard"

Spoiler

PxdRWxV.jpg

2) Lunch ITH and hook the text of the novel (there is a tutorial at the end of this thread that will teach you how to hook the text with ITH)
3) Run the vn normally and that's it, it will automatically copy the text from ITH and pasty it on the textbox, don't use anything else while reading or it will start copying everything that you are reading.
*If for any reason the program doesn't start grabbing the text from ITH, just select the text from the ITH textbox and click on copy and from then on it should work alone.
4) and that's it!

Spoiler

TSWYcOg.jpg

N8iW6zr.jpg

Note: you can just paste text into the textbox if you want and use it as a parser for anything you want not just vn.

Inside the program:

Looking the translation is really easy you just need to hover the mouse over it, just like translation aggregator

Spoiler

LNvpTOn.jpg

TNiKwfq.jpg

You can move the textbox wherever you want and make it bigger or smaller or make it transparent or just black so you can't see the background.

Spoiler

eIfXKMP.jpg

9Lo9rKb.jpg

KBreveR.jpg
dkZPt75.jpg
mnPBizo.jpg
dkZPt75.jpg

When I go full-screen the textbox appears white, is not transparent anymore!! Help!!

If the textbox changes to white when you go full screen do this.
1) Select with your mouse the menu where you can make the screen transparent
2) click on it.

Spoiler

UwBaiHk.jpg

vNGmrky.jpg

pFesVyA.jpg

If you still can't fullscreen the vn and see the textbox at the same time, there are some novels (very few) that have this problem, for example Aster. There is a trick that works on some of them. For this you need Visual novel reader.

1)Download VNR from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3YXxE6u-4bzc1RKWHpoLWZROTQ
2) Open your vn with VNR.
3)Once is loaded go to the side bar and click on the "FS" and use the one that suits you better, in this case was "fullscreen" and "padding"

Spoiler

9VBQFOF.jpg

Tadaaaa

Spoiler

cWhcWwQ.jpg

When I go fullscreen I don't see the textbox

Spoiler

Use romaji

1)Go to options
2) Parsing and select Latin

Spoiler

ipzDzBq.jpg

You can translate words or names

1) select the words you want to translate with the right click
2) Left click and "Add new name"
3)Insert the word
*This is really useful for me with names (I hate reading names) and katakana words, all the words and names that you add will stay saved and will be used next time they appear in the novel.

Spoiler

gE3DIPO.jpg

oK1cnFz.jpg

DygMDAT.jpg

You can add your custom list too:

1) Go to options > Parsing >Edit names...
2) you can add your list of words there, all the words and names you have added will be there too.
3) they need to be added like this: "タブー = Taboo"

Spoiler

HijQeha.jpg

Sometimes some words are not correctly parsed

To correct parsing errors do this (the program will remember this correction):

1)Select the text that is incorrect by selecting it with your left mouse button
2)Right click on the selected text and click on "Re-parse with selection"

Spoiler

2BhklZc.jpg
hUVWyOQ.jpg
pcm5kbE.jpg

Finally using Atlas or any other online translator if you want (I will assume that you know how to install atlas, once installed the program doesn't need any configuration it will use it automatically):

NOTE:

*Here is a tutorial on how to install improve a little bit the ATLAS translation if you want: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/79006-fhc-dictionary-of-ATLAS-Japanese-Translator

1)Go to Option
2)Translation > display both or just translation

Spoiler

3huuWLo.jpg

:michiru: wtf atlas..

If you want to use another translator:

1) Go to Options > Translation > Additional Translators and then just select from the right box of "Available translators" and drag them to the left side of "Selected Translators"

Spoiler

7TjLLXo.jpg

なんてこった:vinty: yeah just use them at your own risk.:ph34r:

And that's it, start reading your untranslated vns fullscreen without any problems :) 

Now that you are able to read untranslated vns you are going to be the coolest guy/girl in your neighbor.

Spoiler

kZekYJs.gif

ITH Guide

Notes:

*You can download ITH from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ie6ypsake9v9n6b/ITH_2015-03-04%282%29.7z and if you want to hook psp, ps2 and wii games use this ITHVNR  (props to stomp for this modified version)
*List of engines supported for ITHVNR
*If you can't find any thread to hook with ITH then you will need to use a code for it.  H-CODES list

How to hook up text with ITH:

1) Open your vn first and then ITH 
2) Inside ITH go to Process and select your vn from the list

Spoiler

cK1Pdwy.jpg

3) Click on Attach and then OK

Spoiler

XeqAgGD.jpg

4) Once inside the vn you need to read some text
5) Select from all the rows the one that shows the text you are reading on the vn, sometimes you will have many rows to select from others just a few, in this case only 2

Spoiler

429E7ZO.jpg

6) Once you see the text is being displayed on the ITH textbox,open chiitrans lite (don't connect/lunch the vn with it!)
7) Click on TL Window
8 ) Copy the text from ITH textbox and you're done.

Spoiler

yZVdSFT.jpg

Common problems with ITH that I know of:
*If the text for any reason splits and you hook half and the other half comes after so it makes the reading really annoying just change in options the "split time" from 500 to 2000.

Very cool. I could swear I've seen this before. But why haven't I used it? How odd..

One side note I noticed while using it. It uses the most likely correct entries first when you have a bunch of alternatives in the j-e dict. This is very useful for beginners. Prbly less useful for more experienced people though. As harder vn's aren't necessarily so straight forwards. Too much bother clicking through all the entires in chiitrans for it to be practical I imagine.

Wow this works really well and it's so much more intuitive than TA is.
My major gripe with TA has always been the constant movement my eyes have to make to check a word, this just makes everything better and easier since I can look at where the text actually is, finally (by just overlapping Chiitrans with the in-game textbox).

My favorite function is definitely the ability to write names (or rewrite any word really) as JParser just goes RIP when it comes to names.

A small downside is that each kanji/word reading is separated in tabs, so if I want to read 頭 as あたま instead of とう, I have to physically press an arrow key. Not sure if it saves my choice after whenever I re-open the software, but either way it's not something I'm crying over. I also understand they did this so there isn't a huge entry that covers the entire screen.

Really nice find, Deep Blue :)

The edited text and the names you entered stay there and they will be shown the next time you read a vn because they are saved inside a .txt that you generate. 

I can't get to stay on top (I have the option enabled) on full screen :/. Don't know why, but certainly it is way better than TA, thanks for sharing.

sometimes depending on the vn it will be a bit tricky to keep the textbox on top of the vn screen the first time while on fullscreen. 
You need to keep the textbox of chiitrans on top of the screen and while is it on top alt+enter to go fullscreen and it will be on top, after that don't move it around or it will go size screen again, this is again a problem with the engine itself of the vn. I will make a video tutorial on how to do this since explaining it with words is a bit hard.

Edited by Deep Blue

Reading an eroge in fullscreen should never be a problem because you can always (and you should!) play the game in a virtual machine which means running the program in a virtual full screen which is perfect for showing other windows on top of it.

I never used Chiitrans until now, but the dictionary features do look nice on those screenshots. I will try this some time soon to see whether it's actually better than TA or not. ^^

Reading an eroge in fullscreen should never be a problem because you can always (and you should!) play the game in a virtual machine which means running the program in a virtual full screen which is perfect for showing other windows on top of it.

I never used Chiitrans until now, but the dictionary features do look nice on those screenshots. I will try this some time soon to see whether it's actually better than TA or not. ^^

Never thought of using a virtual machine for that purpose, I will give it a try then just to see how it works. 

Chiitrans uses the same dictionary that TA but the parsing is actually better in some cases and you can fix wrong parsing and that is something that you can't do with TA.

Edited by Deep Blue

So I've started reading Sekien no Inganock using this and, once again, I extend my gratitude towards you Deep Blue immensely. However, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could help me sort out a 503 error I get on every translation? It's still completely usable so it's not of vital importance, it's just a bit of an eyesore and makes using it that little bit less pleasant.

18980304a59c79b3a6d39c4d4aacd830.png

So I've started reading Sekien no Inganock using this and, once again, I extend my gratitude towards you Deep Blue immensely. However, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could help me sort out a 503 error I get on every translation? It's still completely usable so it's not of vital importance, it's just a bit of an eyesore and makes using it that little bit less pleasant.

Hidden Content

what translator are you using? because some of them don't work for example microsoft and SDL don't work so you will have to choose another from that list available.

Hidden Content

I get that if my computer is not connected to the net, remove the internet translators.

Go to option -> Translation -> Additional Translators

Drag anything you see on the left (eg/ google) to the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this. Although since I know no Japanese it's sometimes difficult to determine what is being said in the translation. Is there a way to improve the translation quality?

sorry i just saw your post, you mean to improve the machine translation? that is handled by the translators or atlas if you install it separately, you can't improve it because is not something related to chiitrans but to a 3rd program. 

i'm getting 2 types of problems? First is some error 503 and the second is the program skipping everything? 

http://imgur.com/OSQYdgN    The Skip thing

http://imgur.com/IqZonhH Error 503  ( I'm pretty sure my internet is fine)

do you get that error with all the novels? are you using the machine translation?
if you are using the text hooker that comes with chiitrans try using ITH instead and see if the problem persist 

Sorry for the slight necro bump, but I'm having some trouble using this. It worked fine for a little bit, but then I keep getting the error "The external server `returned an error (503) and is not responding." The text gets hooked, but the translation isnt displayed. Instead that error message is. Any idea whats wrong?

Sorry for the slight necro bump, but I'm having some trouble using this. It worked fine for a little bit, but then I keep getting the error "The external server `returned an error (503) and is not responding." The text gets hooked, but the translation isnt displayed. Instead that error message is. Any idea whats wrong?

what translator are you using?