Fallout 4 discussion

Deep Blue

I tried it out of curiosity and game managed to run playable on high detail (with some post-processing on low), around 35-42 fps on my oc'ed Q6600 and GTX460 (drops incuded, but that's obvious). The intro was quite nice, but the game itself is nothing special and feels rushed. I'd propably consider finishing it, but the memory leak caused the game to crash with my current 4GB's. I did ordered 8GB's of high perfo DDR2 ram a while ago, but that's mainly for The Wicher 3, which should be perfectly playable after all my latest upgrades :illya:

Not sure if it's actually scripted or random, but I had a deathclaw in the nearest town, which was a lot higher level than I was. Even the power armor couldn't help much, haha.

I'm playing on normal difficulty right now to get a feel for the game...I tried survival briefly and got wrecked by Cuddlesworth; admittedly it was my fault for trying to not use the power armor or minigun. I did the same thing in normal difficulty as well and wasted nearly all my ammunition and a few explosives but I did manage to kill it without the power armor/minigun...it's not easy though. Had to duck and cover and use the environment to my advantage. I actually thought the AI was quite good...it would wonder away after realizing it couldn't get you and then in order to find it you would have to go outside and hope it didn't lie in wait somewhere just waiting for me to leave the safety of my building. I've been enjoying the exploration aspect of the game but the game could use more actual meat in the interactions/dialogue/quests as well as actual return to the rpg mechanics. It was streamlined to be more like a Exploration FPS and I for one miss the roleplaying. It's a fun game even with its many flaws. I think the pros outweigh the cons...it's the details. You can really tell they put a lot of labor and love into this game. I have been scouring the game for potential hints to DLC though...they always throw something in the game to hint at it...unless it's added in a patch down the road to keep it a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished downloading FO4 yesterday-ish, made a character, then resumed playing today around 2.  I get to the first major quest, start building aaaaaand it's 6 PM.

There is a very visible increase in difficulty, as I'm sure everyone has already noticed.  A bloatfly did about 1/3 of my HP, and a radscorpion that showed up immediately after two-shotted me while I was running for my life.  I'm used to the newer Bethesda games being easy as hell  :vinty:  Any tips on how to get ahead early so I don't keep getting rekt?

How to survive is basically "Don't be a dumbass". Fight smart, level a lot and keep your gear updated, no matter if you're using one of the many (or all) crafting perks or just buy all the good shit from vendors. The early deaths teach you a lot about how far you can push and you'll develop a feel for it after a while. I actually love how much I've died in the beginning. Level 6 til 12 was spend mostly in loading screens.

My feel is now good enough to start on Survival. Which is more brutal the lower your level is.

It's either that, or meticulously pulling the mods off of guns you loot and hoping you can put together a great gun. I went for the former.

Since I'm here I might as well mention that I'm level 66, and it seems I've done pretty much everything there is to do besides the BoS and Institute story. :/

I personally like to have one of weapon crafting perks (Blacksmith for unarmed and armed melee, Gun Nut for Guns and Science! for laser). In addition, Armorer should be mandatory, unless you try to skill two different kinds of weapons at the same time. (For example, I used rifles and fists on my first playthrough and I remember not having enough points for armorer until late.)

Of course, stealth characters can get away without any of the above. And depending on how often you plan on wearing power armor, Armorer and Science go up in priority above most anything else. And the thing I initially mentioned, to use Charisma and get rich enough to buy stuff, actually works.

I cannot make the old menu mod works, anyone could?

The most recent update broke mod support.  Launch NMM, open FO4 launcher, re-enable all mods via the checkmark button, and boom, workaround is done.

Holy crap, I just realized that melee on most stuff is kinda OP.  I two-shotted a raider without even using sneak and now take out bloatflies like they're flying garbage.  Screw shooting them  :sachi:

I cannot make the old menu mod works, anyone could?

The most recent update broke mod support.  Launch NMM, open FO4 launcher, re-enable all mods via the checkmark button, and boom, workaround is done.

Holy crap, I just realized that melee on most stuff is kinda OP.  I two-shotted a raider without even using sneak and now take out bloatflies like they're flying garbage.  Screw shooting them  :sachi:

wohooo is working now 

I thought you had to make a new mod and swap out the mod you want to keep with the new one?  I'm lazy and a resource hoarder, so it bugs me to have to do that  >.<

Also, I freakin' love this mod.  Dogmeat should have been kept as a cattle dog, or Bethesda should have given you the option to pick a breed.  I also am scared shitless of German Shepards, so I may be a little bit biased :sachi:

I thought you had to make a new mod and swap out the mod you want to keep with the new one?  I'm lazy and a resource hoarder, so it bugs me to have to do that  >.<

That's the only way, unfortunately. Might be a mod for it but I haven't checked, or really needed one for that matter, since I maxed Armorer, Gun Nut, and Science ASAP