VN Reading Club - Depressive November (Narcissu)

Kurisu-Chan

Lol can't close the poll.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What VN shall torment you this month?

• Steins.
    • Gate.
    • Can't
    • Lock the poll.

This poll is closed to new votes

The Agilis is a more literal translation (almost literal from the jap one) gp32 however is not.

Even when i prefer literal translations in this particular vn I like the gp32 over the agilis, because that translation captured what the writer was trying to say in japanese original version while in the agilis some things are lost,  it just have more feeling and emotion imo.

Finally I would like to point out that some thing cannot be translated and are really important to the story specially how the main character communicates to setsumi, he is always calling her お前 (omae) so he is always treating her in a cold and even a bit harsh way, he is really direct almost blunt but the funny thing is that setsumi doesn't care at all and doesnt pay attention to this, she almost treat him in the same way, this sadly is lost with the translation. 

Edited by Deep Blue

I read the first section today using the Agilis translation, but I might start over with gp32 to see the difference. Just from what I can hear of the Japanese, Agilis is very literal, and I'm still trying to form an opinion about whether I like that or not, for voiced VN translations.

I've only just started, but so far, I'm rather liking the VN. It has a very different atmosphere from any of my usual fare, and change is good.

Just finished Narcissu.

Whilst I wouldn't say its overrated I would say its over-hyped. Yeah the story is sad (especially the ending) and the character are sympathetic but I just left feeling like I should've been sadder than I was, especially given how everyone talks about how Narcissu is incredibly depressing. I think the length worked in the vns favor as drawing it out any longer would've broken the 'any day could be their last' vibe that was going throughout the story. 

The soundtrack was perfect in my opinion. The standout moment was in Chapter 6 I believe when the track with vocals played as they drove, somehow that particular moment just felt like the most atmospheric in the whole vn. 

I'll give Narcissu Side 2 a try later, maybe because I haven't played it yet is why I feel so underwhelmed.

• 1 month later...

Been a crazy month but finally got around to reading this. Having no computer set me back quite a bit.

Narcissu is a game that pretty much anyone who knows VNs has at least heard about. While it had been on my list to read, it has been ignored due to other commitments but mostly because it is a kinetic novel. For me, I had always avoided kinetic because I figured I would have more attachment if I got to make my own choices. Narcissu proved me wrong as it was an excellent choice.

The only negative I can really give this VN is the visuals. I didn't like that ultra thin widescreen style. I know the minimalistic thing is what they were going for and it did partially suit the VN but I felt like they could have done better.

The quality of translation that was used was decent. Earlier people had mentioned that the writing style was a bit unique, which may have led to why I felt the translation didn't feel smooth. There were no glaring errors (that I noticed) but wasn't the smoothest.

The story was pretty good. The story really set you up for what you were going to get, and they delivered on it. The story had an excellent emotional impact despite it again being very minimalistic. 

On to major positives. The music was amazing. For such a short VN they had a nice collection of music and all were very well written. The music never felt like it was out of place or that it was used too much. Another nice perk was that you can maximize the game. Despite being a 2005 game, it had nice features like that.

The length of the game was perfect. It was a short story and they made it as such. There really wasn't a single point where I felt bored. They kept the pacing going nicely.

The ending gave me the feels which I was not expecting. It hit me suddenly like a wave. I thought I had done a good job detaching myself but with all the right elements that this game had, it got to me. It is an excellent game, and anyone who is looking for a short game and likes getting the feels will love this.