Something tasteful for a newbie

SIAS

I have only ever played through 1 VN, which was Swan Song. As a whole new experience for me, I liked it a lot. Now that

I want more, I ask is for something like that. I don't really mind the genre; I was just want a good story with

good characters. There must be some time of romance element because I love a good romance. HOWEVER, I want nothing

extreme when it comes to the romance part. I don't mind sex scenes, but I do mind over the top weird shit. I don't want my

characters covered in shit please. But if I could get some tasteful recommends to get me started I'd appreciate it.

Welcome to the Visual Novel world.

A great one for starters is Katawa Shoujo, it's how most people get into VN's to begin with.

Grisaia no Kajitsu, Princess Evangile and Clannad/Kanon/Air are some pretty good romance-centered VN's.

If you're looking for something that isn't just romance but does feature it pretty heavily I recommend:

G-Senjou no Maou

Fate/Stay Night

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

And i'm gonna go on a limb and say Muv-Luv, though it's an extremely long read, but it's worth it.

Katawa Shoujo is propably the easiest and most reliable choice for you in terms of what you're looking for; it has decent character development and nice production value to the point, you should enjoy it, as long as you don't mind discussing people with disabilities.

If you're looking for something more compelling, set in a distinct setting, I'd recommend any of the WAB stories. In terms of translated games, you have Sekien no Inganock, or Shikkoku no Sharnoth to chose from. I'd recommend starting from Inganock, as it introduces you to the realm nicely, although it's not really required, if you feel more interested to start with Sharnoth.

Saya no Uta wouldn't be bad, either; it's propably one of the few games with a meaningful, compelling story based on cthulhu mythos; it's only drawback is, that it's really not for those faint of heart. It's also preety drastic, but nevertheless a good starting choice, if you don't mind gritty tales.

I'd also recommend True Remembrance as a pure classic; it's really good, especially if you want something distinct, a bit lighter, but still serious enough.

edit:

I forgot about Planetarian. It's a must read for any post-apo/sci-fi fan.

Ever17 is pretty good if you want science fiction with a romance element. Has slice-of-life elements as well, great ending.

I suggested this before to my sister, she completed only one route and switched all off, told "Booooooring and repetitive as hell". So seems not the best choice for first VN :)

Ever17 is pretty good if you want science fiction with a romance element. Has slice-of-life elements as well, great ending.

I suggested this before to my sister, she completed only one route and switched all off, told "Booooooring and repetitive as hell". So seems not the best choice for first VN :)

For the complete beginners is better something with a high pace from the start, like r11 or 999.

I've seen quite a few people get into VNs with Ever17. Oh well. I'd say Remember11 but IIRC, the OP said that they want romance (otherwise R11>E17 anyway). 

Katawa Shoujo, Da Capo, and Shuffle are pretty normal school life/slice of life romances to begin with. No freaky sex scenes or anything. 

I would NOT recommend Grisaia since it's just way too long and the common route can easily bore someone who isn't used to reading. Baby steps are important in reading visual novels and you dont want to get into something heavy/long at the start. You want fast, easy reads so you can read more different ones and familiarize yourself with the genres and what you like. 

Also whoever recommended Saya no Uta, you should replay it and ask yourself why the hell you would recommend this to a newbie? There's no way a first time visual novel reader can handle that deep, gory, stuff unless they like horror movies or have a fetish for gore/blood. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

ever17 is one of the worst vn that you can recommend to someone new into this vn world, there is a lot of repetition, you need to reply the same route over and over and over again, skipping things takes an eternity, the story and character are great but then again is behind so many "problems" or just annoying things that for someone new is the worst choice possible that's why i never recommend it. Also the translation is really bad and i'm saying this when usually i really don't care about those type of things :P so that can scare of some people too.

KATAWA SHOUJO. Romance? Check. "Intimate" scenes without 'weird things'? Check. Story? Please, check. Crying moments? Lilly. Easy to relate? Check. Free? CHECK.

Another one is If My Heart Had Wings. It's really good, for some reason--any VN about romance and a disable girl in it is...well, better than most VNs I play. Also one more, Sakura Swim Club.

I hope you enjoy these man! :D