Divine Slice of Life review discussion

Tyrael

2wlwqqp.jpg

It's a bad time for OELVNs, it seems... This is a particularly awful one.

You can find the review here: http://reviews.fuwanovel.net/2015/11/01/divine-slice-of-life/

As this is my first review as part of the fuwa review team I would appreciate any constructive criticism and such. Hope you guys enjoy it!

the artwork looks very common to another one (one google search later) oh ya hunie pop. i dont know if they hire the same artist or not mmmmm...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I guess I see a little bit of similarity there, but the artwork that DSoL really reminds me of is the as of yet unreleased But I Love You

photo-original.png?v=1413246072&w=1536&h

AJTilley strikes again. All of their games seem to be low effort trash like this.

the artwork looks very common to another one (one google search later) oh ya hunie pop. i dont know if they hire the same artist or not mmmmm...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ehhh, nah. They're not too much more similar than any other two anime art styles. The coloring in particular is completely different. This game's art seems more amateurish in general. 

Beach bounce had a fair amount of third party involvement & Sword of Asumi was effectively their first VN.

Some information on this on the main page http://www.ajtilley.com/

With voice acting its like you can't win(only rarely) when its not there people clammer for it when its there its normally mixed opinion except for the very best funded of titles. 

Wherever through many kickstarters previously or multiple titles that maybe a bit short for many people, this is something that has grown to a degree of stability. From experience the vast majority of evns are struggling for funding/cannot for the life of them afford Voice over without crowdfunding(I can elaborate on this if someone says otherwise as its not a perfect sentence). Some people take years to produce 1 title that can still get mixed reactions at the very least with each new title things become clearer or things change.

Btw I've Just started helping the studio as of a couple of days ago to help with them with the patreon/adult games side awareness. You can also poke me about things but I'm not one of the developers. Though in general I help out several visual novels so my words are from experience across the scene. I provided a key to FuwanNovel however they already had one so it wasn't needed. I read the whole review and brought up a few things internally. I'l chase up possibilities on rewind/auto functions as there is also a small content update due for the game soon. Consideration about the price of the games in the future will go on, from a steam point of view the price is to high for the length however from a mg point of view this is different entirely.

Edited by Ironstorm

If you can't afford good voices then you shouldn't have voices at all. Even though people will complain when there are no voices, that usually causes people to be less upset than having really bad voicework. There's probably a better way for the team to spend that money.

As far as length goes, the main problem is one of scope. AJTilley's games tend to overreach, trying to be bigger than they're really capable of being. The result is a multi-route game that doesn't end up properly developing any of its characters, or a poorly executed episodic format in Beach Bounce's case. If Divine Slice of Life had just one or two heroines, it could have possibly been a much better game. But they'd also have to get a decent writer first.

If you can't afford good voices then you shouldn't have voices at all. Even though people will complain when there are no voices, that usually causes people to be less upset than having really bad voicework. There's probably a better way for the team to spend that money.

As far as length goes, the main problem is one of scope. AJTilley's games tend to overreach, trying to be bigger than they're really capable of being. The result is a multi-route game that doesn't end up properly developing any of its characters, or a poorly executed episodic format in Beach Bounce's case. If Divine Slice of Life had just one or two heroines, it could have possibly been a much better game. But they'd also have to get a decent writer first.

This. I would have loved for the entire thing just to be Yui and Ryn fighting for Aaki's love instead.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I guess I see a little bit of similarity there, but the artwork that DSoL really reminds me of is the as of yet unreleased But I Love You

Hidden Content

Actually that's interesting because it looks like it contains yanderes?

Though it will be probably bad regardless...

Just to mention that you can actually back track through up scroll on the middle button or equivalent. This still works on loading saves also if you want to take other choices.

Justin579: It used to have a very different name but apparently people suggested it was to strange to work out. Considering its crossdressing scenario that's not very generic in terms of our evn titles.

Girls in this game have no personality whatsoever. Two main ones are especially bad. All they do is bounce you to join one of them, all the time through the end. Honestly, I though the story will be like, you'll spend time with them going on dates around town or something before you decide. But they just appear, taunt you to pick, then you switch to some person with whom you talk a bit, then again they appear and comment some stuff. Rance and repeat. And the MC just whines how he wants a girlfriend. Writing be damned... -_-'

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a month since Divine Slice of Life came out and it's already part of a $2 bundle.

I haven't played it yet, but this is a huge red flag for me on the quality.

(Also part of the bundle is the 3.5 month old Beach Bounce which is also telling.)

Haha, and they are still asking 16 dollars for it on steam

crazy stuff

The decision to sell those titles on a bundle happened before I got involved in helping them out after I got involved things changed to a degree where DSOL for example has done quite well. Its to late for them to back out of this though. I kinda wish it wasn't on Indiegala as a new release I feel a little sorry for those that bought it at full price so soon. Beach bounce despite critical reception has been doing ok on monthly sales also. But AJ wanted a bundle that was mainly theres so this was how that got started. I just don't think devlaueing on a bundle is a very good idea a vn in general. I don't mind the idea of reducing the price over time thou. As you release new better titles. The newest release highschool romance is priced a little more similar to other evn prices.

Let me add that a new writer has been involved in highschool romance and the game has been quite well received though some people have complaint about a lack of raunchy content. Its also a title with no adult patch.

Mg have run on Indiegala before with some of their titles that are normally priced at $40 and still are going for this rate.

Edited by Ironstorm

• 2 years later...

First sorry about the necropost but I didn't think this was worth starting a whole nother topic for. With that out of the way...

My feel on playing the game is "wasted potential." That being said I could use the base of the story as fodder for an erotic fanficton. One idea I have is have the MC not really know much about mythology at the start, but when he finds out he's the reincarnation of Zeus figures out he should learn about Greek Mythology. You know, Figure out what he's GOTTEN HIMSELF INTO. However, when he finds out what Zeus was like (like how he wouldn't take no for an answer, guy a grade a asshole) he is afraid that if his memories and powers awaken he will become like he was in his past life. I feel like this could be a starting point for great drama and character building. this is basically my idea for using the story of the VN as a starting point and building on it. I wish the VN proper could have gone somewhere like this, but since it didn't I will try to expalnd it in to said fanfic.

Again I am sorry for the necropost but I didn't think it was worth starting up a new topic just for this.