Nested quotes out of control in IPB4

Hover over the header of the quote you want to remove and a red line should appear above it, if you click on the "Enter"-like button on the right side of the line it will create a new line before that quote. After that you can just select the quote and delete it.

It's possible to edit nested quotes without removing the whole thing, you just need to add a paragraph before a quote you want to delete.
A red line should pop up when you hover in between and you can press an arrow to add a paragraph there.

Example with the post you mentioned:
mbppxmT.png

Once you do, you can delete the quote (or quotes) underneath without deleting the entire thing.

Result:

x0V9YEQ.png

I will grant you it's a more annoying process, though.

I've been promised that this should be improved in IPB 4.1 which was released earlier this week. I've held off on the update for two reasons:

1. I want to wait and see if any of the other IPB admins run into huge problems (since our upgrade was so much fun) (/sarcasm)
  2. Our forum themes require updates (since 4.1 is a rather big upgrade) and I want to make sure they, too, are safe before making the jump.

I'm hoping we can get it done by the end of the week, however, and we'll see how things go. (If we run into problems, we'll roll back to a backup we create just before the upgrade)

I see how it works now.  That's not very intuitive, and since that quote nest is growing as we speak, apparently the denizens of that thread don't think so either.

It's good to hear that this behavior has been fixed in 4.1.  Not so good to hear that the update could introduce other problems.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible to edit nested quotes without removing the whole thing, you just need to add a paragraph before a quote you want to delete.
A red line should pop up when you hover in between and you can press an arrow to add a paragraph there.

Anyone found a similar solution for mobile yet? Hovering's not really an option, so the red line/paragraph indicators never show up.

Anyone found a similar solution for mobile yet? Hovering's not really an option, so the red line/paragraph indicators never show up.

@Darbury

The best you can do, at least on android via chrome is to tap on the name/date part of the quote which should give you that red line to insert a space where you can then highlight everything up to that point you want to delete.

oOTz6y5.png

Edited by Abyssal Monkey

The best you can do, at least on android via chrome is to tap on the name/date part of the quote which should give you that red line to insert a space where you can then highlight everything up to that point you want to delete.

Thanks, but doesn't seem like it works in Safari on an iPhone. I've tapped every last pixel in the name/date and gotten no red lines.

On the bright side, it means I end up posting less, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. :)