Drawing out your own maps in games

InvertMouse

Sorry for starting two topics at once folks. Just got some thoughts I really want to share and get some opinions on :).

This is kind of a continuation of that "games involving pen and paper" topic I brought up a few days back. I started looking up dungeon crawling games on VNDB, and I checked out some reviews for Lighting Warrior Raidy 1 along with its sequel. The reviews all say that in the second game, the map system has improved since it draws itself as you explore the dungeons. In the first game, I think you need to find a map in the dungeon first. At any rate, I thought, why not turn off the automap and draw it yourself with pen and paper?

I don't mean to say this in some snarky way, but rather, I think it might feel pretty rewarding. Painstakingly stroke out every wall, then when you backtrack while tracing a finger through your map, you think, "Yeah, I did that 8)." When I go traveling, I love getting lost, then gradually learn the streets off by heart. Later, I revisit that same city and can roam around without any maps as if I am a local. This is one of the greatest feelings for me. I have a deep love for places so I understand if this might be a little weird.

Has anyone played that first Raidy game? Did you find it annoying to get lost, or is there some potential in this? I would love to hear any general thoughts about this stuff. Thanks :)!

These days it's more a mechanical and convenience thing. Creating ones own map can be an engaging gameplay mechanic for sure, but the thing is real-life creating maps while rewarding is too much of a barrier to entry, especially if you're designing the game around it.

I have to go now so I'll elaborate later.