Narcissu 10th Anniversary Anthology Project

InvertMouse

I don't understand one thing are they going to remake narcissu 1 and 2 or not :/

first they say "With your help we will be remaking the older games with new art, re-recorded voices,and we will also be creating an entirely new scenario!" so from that I assume that aside the 4 new stories (one of them includes narcissu 3) but then they say at the end:

There are no plans to touch the existing version of 1+2 on steam, they will remain free as they have been for the past decade.

However, we're looking into porting the game into the new engine and possibly including re-recorded voice work in the version that will be included in the special 1+2 collector's box at the $150 tier.

We have not made any decisions as to whether a digital version of this collector's box edition will be made available at this time."

So are they going to do it or is not a sure thing right now?  it's freaking narcissu even with all the issues I have with sp I still want to support this but I'm not so sure if its worth it right now since there is very little content to back this up (sumire looks really interesting and that 1 hour ova but i doubt they can reach that amount of money)

Edited by Deep Blue

It does kinda seem like they just started working on it and at some point remembered "right, we need some money to actually finish this, don't we?"

Well, except for the first stretch goal, the rest don't really feel particularly relevant, so I guess it's not that big of a deal so long as they at least manage to get the project funded.

I wasn't going to pledge as each dollar means 4 Brazilian bucks right now so I'd be spending $20 not for all but for each of the games, but in the end I've decided it's worth it. I might even want the digital soundtrack because in the case of Narcissu it's totally worth it.

each dollars means 15 Argentinian bucks here so I understand your pain inflationary brother :cry: :P

The backer tiers have some really underwhelming rewards. Take the $280 tier for instance: The $180 tier rewards, plus a Narcissu T-shirt.

Wow, amazing. Literally a $100 t-shirt. That better be a really fucking good t-shirt. I mean, yeah, many people view Kickstarter as a donation platform, but many more people won't give much more money than they think the rewards are worth. Other SP projects seemed to understand this, but it looks like Stage-nana was afraid of offering too much and having to spend too much on reward fulfillment. But by being so miserly with the rewards they're going to end up with no or very little money at all. I mentioned this on reddit a day or two after the campaign launched and the project manager responded saying that they were looking into offering some more stuff but then nothing happened? This campaign seems really poorly thought out.

ya your right, most of the money its being spent on digital goods:

Creator sekaiproject:

@Sirisak In the campaign doesn't fund, well... all the physical goodies are out =( But with how much Sekai Project has invested into the project, we might be able to continue on, at a slower pace. We'll have to take a look at our options if that happens. =(

I see a dark future in this project...

Keep in mind that this is after they shaved like $60k off the goal. According to what the project manager said on reddit, they shifted some money around from some currently unannounced future projects in order to lower Narcissu's goal and if they only barely reach the goal then those other projects might be stretched a little thin (but he said that Narcissu itself is perfectly safe, that funding is set in stone). I think they'll probably reach the goal, but they probably aren't getting the level of overfunding they hoped they would get. 

I'm guessing they'll probably get to about $55,000 with 5 days to go and at that point, projects almost never fail at that level of funding. There's a certain threshold where backer psychology changes and they feel obligated to try to push an almost-funded project past the finish line before it's too late. I think they can get that last $20,000 in the last few days. But pretty much nothing beyond that.

The backer tiers have some really underwhelming rewards. Take the $280 tier for instance: The $180 tier rewards, plus a Narcissu T-shirt.

Wow, amazing. Literally a $100 t-shirt. That better be a really fucking good t-shirt. I mean, yeah, many people view Kickstarter as a donation platform, but many more people won't give much more money than they think the rewards are worth. Other SP projects seemed to understand this, but it looks like Stage-nana was afraid of offering too much and having to spend too much on reward fulfillment. But by being so miserly with the rewards they're going to end up with no or very little money at all. I mentioned this on reddit a day or two after the campaign launched and the project manager responded saying that they were looking into offering some more stuff but then nothing happened? This campaign seems really poorly thought out.

With Kickstarter, I personally tend to take more of the donation/support mindset, rather than the "buying stuff" mindset, which is certainly Kickstarter's own intention. I remember well when they first posted this: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store. I have a tendency to throw money into a project much more based on how much I like and want to support it, rather than based on what reward I'll get out of it. However, I have to concede that I'm almost certainly in the minority there, and that most people are treating Kickstarter like a strangely unreliable store that sometimes takes your money, and of the times when it takes your money, sometimes doesn't even give you the stuff you asked for, and certainly not on any kind of predictable timeline. I'm rather surprised such people continue to use it at all...

And while on the one hand, I can just say all those people are doing it wrong and have nobody to blame but themselves for their consternation when things don't go the way they expect, on the other hand I don't think most of the VN-related projects I've been supporting would actually have been funded without exactly those people. It's a tough situation.

Anyway, I threw a bit of money at the Narcissu Kickstarter today, but I have to admit I'm not sanguine about its chances at this rate. I imagine part of the problem is that people are having trouble rationalizing funding what is, to them, a translation of the third game in a series of which they haven't played the first two, even though those two are already freely available on Steam.

With Kickstarter, I personally tend to take more of the donation/support mindset, rather than the "buying stuff" mindset, which is certainly Kickstarter's own intention. I remember well when they first posted this: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store. I have a tendency to throw money into a project much more based on how much I like and want to support it, rather than based on what reward I'll get out of it. However, I have to concede that I'm almost certainly in the minority there, and that most people are treating Kickstarter like a strangely unreliable store that sometimes takes your money, and of the times when it takes your money, sometimes doesn't even give you the stuff you asked for, and certainly not on any kind of predictable timeline. I'm rather surprised such people continue to use it at all...

And while on the one hand, I can just say all those people are doing it wrong and have nobody to blame but themselves for their consternation when things don't go the way they expect, on the other hand I don't think most of the VN-related projects I've been supporting would actually have been funded without exactly those people. It's a tough situation.

Anyway, I threw a bit of money at the Narcissu Kickstarter today, but I have to admit I'm not sanguine about its chances at this rate. I imagine part of the problem is that people are having trouble rationalizing funding what is, to them, a translation of the third game in a series of which they haven't played the first two, even though those two are already freely available on Steam.

To be clear narcissu 1 and 2 are related (2 is a prologue of 1 and also a new story) but narcissu 3 is not related to them in any way (the kataoka's story), it's hard to say why is called narcissu 3 to begin with.

Edited by Deep Blue

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to get straight to the point. Stage-Nana are attempting to kickstart some sequel VN's to the Narcissu series. With only 9 days left we have 55,000 dollars out of the required 75,000 and i'm beginning to fear we won't reach the goal and I'd just like to spread awareness for this. If you'd like to donate to the kickstarter, here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/narcissu-10th-anniversary-anthology-project/description

Just got a pretty surprising update on the Narcissu Kickstarter via email announcement - apparently they have Hiroki Kikuta (composer for Secret of Mana) on board as a guest composer for the project. I still don't fully understand what exactly the Kickstarter is going to do, but it certainly seems like it is going to be interesting.