Unfinished project: Akaiito Trial

Hello everyone,

This one is a pet project of mine that's been lying dormant for nearly 2 years. I present a very unpolished version of the Akai Ito English trial (dubbed "Trial A").

The original Japanese trial was released on PC as a direct port of the PS2 game, but is limited to the first two days.

dgj1RV3.jpg

@ About

Regarding the original translation project led by C&D, it seems to be somehow dead (listed as such on vntls).

This not-beta-tested-not-finished-with-flaws release is based on the "Yumei Patch" released in January 2011 - TL: ZoharContact.

No installer, just unrar and run.

Features:

* Runs in Western locale (in Windows 7)

* Runs in Windowed Mode (for debugging/reverse-engineering purposes)

* Script, Graphics & Font reinsertion works

* The two most important menus are translated

* Flowchart and Glossary work

Known Issues:

* Not TLC'd, unedited translation

* A lot of UI elements were not translated

* CGs/splashscreens were left untranslated (where applicable)

* The borked splash logo on startup is intentionally borked. Was meant to test graphics reinsertion.

* No OP movie. I wanted to have it back, but the way I reimplemented it was flawed.

@ Download

You will find the download here:

AkaT110-eng-A.rar (175 MB)

MD5=4e91bd1a1962b73990ad97886b1271c1

@ Hacking department

I made some cleanup of the hacking tools and documentation, you shall find it here:

https://github.com/mchubby/akaiito_tools

Used Compilers = Visual C++ 2008, Visual C# 2008.

Used Interpreters = PHP 5.x

I doubt there will be much public interest in re-releasing the trial properly, but if anyone has question or needs some details, feel free to post hereafter~

Just know I don't intend on working on other aspects at the moment (feel free to clone/fork the repository).

~Nanashi3.

hey does that mean text reinsertion can be done for the full game?

in that case, perhaps someone might be interested in finishing the translation...?

(thx for the post btw)

Hey Aaeru,

Short answer: yes, I think

I'd wager it's probably doable, but will require some mildly trivial to minor modifications such as movie (SFD/MPG) playback, which would otherwise be skipped.

And maybe some other functionality that were not ported. Only betatesting would tell.

For those interested in hacking, check

function @ 00426490 - switch base @ 004264DD "HandleBytecodeMajor"

in Akaiito.exe

In scripts found in the PS2 full game, no new "Bytecode Major" command (codes > 0x12) was used. Nevertheless, I haven't checked if all subcommands are effectively handled or properly supported.

You can see all commands that are passed through (uninterpreted) in generated *.script files, they are represented as [P]XXXX.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...